Opinion Watson heleta

Reaction score
Surely the next cab off the rank in the backline would have to be Watson Heleta. His form in NSW Cup this season is simply too good to ignore. The 25-year-old is leading the competition in linebreaks (10) and is equal first in tacklebusts (38). Heleta won the Wests Tigers’ NSW Cup player of the year award in 2019 before being signed by the Eels on a development contract last year. The former junior Kiwi has now joined the Bulldogs’ feeder side, Mounties and had an absolute binder in the last game he played, scoring a try and setting up another as well as getting one linebreak, seven tacklebusts and running for 138 metres

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
His form certainly merits at least a look-in but unfortunately for Watson his height is a real issue.

He might get away with it in the lower grades without too many problems but the step up to first grade is huge as he’ll be marked up against superior physical specimens with great aerial abilities feeding off opportunities from superior halves who can just about land cross field bombs on a dime.

A 5’7” winger in the modern game is fraught with danger of being cruelly exposed in the air.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Stature an issue agree but can play/is a centre so that's an option..maybe.
Trouble is im sensing Hoppa isnt getting dropped anytime soon? And then what does Baz do with Allan also...

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His form certainly merits at least a look-in but unfortunately for Watson his height is a real issue.

He might get away with it in the lower grades without too many problems but the step up to first grade is huge as he’ll be marked up against superior physical specimens with great aerial abilities feeding off opportunities from superior halves who can just about land cross field bombs on a dime.

A 5’7” winger in the modern game is fraught with danger of being cruelly exposed in the air.
Brian To’o has given the blueprint for the shorter winger to thrive in the league. I like what Heleta has done in NSW Cup so far but with Okunbor about yo return i dont know if he’ll even get an opportunity

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Brian To’o has given the blueprint for the shorter winger to thrive in the league. I like what Heleta has done in NSW Cup so far but with Okunbor about yo return i dont know if he’ll even get an opportunity
I was waiting for someone to mention To’o but fact is even To’o is 6ft and towers over Heleta.

Heleta’s height is a massive handicap in stepping up to first grade and is undoubtedly the reason he hasn’t seen a promotion despite being consistently strong in the lower ranks for a number of years.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think he'll get a run this year but he should definitely get a top 30 contract next year and a chance to impress during the pre season and trials.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree, whilst big tall wingers are the modern way, you could go as far back a Matt Utai as a blueprint of shorter wingers that can play elite level footy, Utai and To’o are 200m per game stock standard, that’s a huge advantage to have, hard to get under those types of bodies.

In saying that, Okunbur comes back from a serious injury shortly, will need to see where he’s at… no issue giving Helata a crack at Wing or Centre

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The issues I see with Heleta, aside from his height and reach, are a relative lack of outright pace for a winger, acceleration, lateral movement and he’s slow to turn and chase. As a result his defence is, to be frank, not that great. He is stocky and quite strong and goes through or under a lot of defence. There are reasons why at 26 (next month) he hasn’t cracked a regular NRL gig.

Always a Bulldog

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was waiting for someone to mention To’o but fact is even To’o is 6ft and towers over Heleta.

Heleta’s height is a massive handicap in stepping up to first grade and is undoubtedly the reason he hasn’t seen a promotion despite being consistently strong in the lower ranks for a number of years.
Corey Thompson?

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Id like to see him get a go at lock he has great leg speed and always breaking tackles.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Think he’s a career reserve grader that excels in reggies but there’s a few things that will always hold him back from making it in the NRL.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id like to see him get a go at lock he has great leg speed and always breaking tackles.
Bloke is a Forward.
I saw the CC game against St George, and one of the commentators said exactly what both of you have said he should be in the forwards.
I can just imagine him breaking tackles particularly when the opposition forwards are getting tired.
For me he would be a good replacement for Elliot, I doubt he would be any worse on one edge.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think the problem would be that he isn't great under the high ball and if we had big rangy centres, we could probably take the risk.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He played good last weekend but did have some defensive. Will need to improve the D before moving to FG. But agree looks like a slightly bigger version of Matt Utai