News Watene-Zelezniak, Marshall-King & Smith named for 2021 All Stars Clash

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think we also lost DWZ for a while due to a push in back in one these games. Could be wrong but
Nah he only missed a trial. Was fit for rd 1.
Can't wait to see how the boys go

Reactions: ATT

Dog gone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. We lost Chris Smith to start last season as he did his knee badly. Looked strong in the game too and really hamstrung his development and 2020.
Before he done his knee he was having a great game,i think he is underated by many if he gets his confidence up and some game time under his belt after a good pre season i think he could impress a few to start the season,just needs to stay injury free

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Before he done his knee he was having a great game,i think he is underated by many if he gets his confidence up and some game time under his belt after a good pre season i think he could impress a few to start the season,just needs to stay injury free
yeah I agree. I’m one of the few who actually rate him. Been tracking him since he joined us and was killing it in NSW Cup. Really big fan of his, and you’re right - he was running it hard and busting tackles before going down. Absolutely devastated. Compounding losing Smith with CHN and Okunbor to start the year with Foran doing his shoulder for NZ and Elliot/ Stimson going down before the covid shutdown it was a miracle we didn’t get the spoon.

Smith is going to have to really impress though - our forward stocks are loaded both in the middles and edges. Steel sharpens steel though, good problem to have some healthy competition.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't begrudge our players the chance to represent. But these clashes feel so pointless to me. Much like the nines it just seems like a cash grab for the NRL and the broadcasters. I'll be pissed off if we lose any of these guys to injury from this.
also it's to make the indigenous community think that the NRL cares about them. Would it be so bad if DWZ got a season ending injury & we got extra salary cap money?

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seven Storm All Stars ruled out due to COVID-19 border closure

Seven of the Storm's biggest names have been ruled out of the NRL All Stars clash due to the five-day Victorian lockdown announced on Friday.
Indigenous flyer Josh Addo-Carr and Maori All Stars reps Jesse and Kenny Bromwich, Reimis and Brandon Smith, Jahrome Hughes and Nelson Asofa-Solomona have all been scratched from next Saturday's season-opener in Townsville.

Replacement players will be sourced over the weekend before the two men's sides meet on Monday.
For Maori coach David Kidwell it means almost a third of his squad are now unavailable after Storm and NRL officials spent Friday trying every avenue to get the players into Queensland.
Attempts to secure government travel exemptions proved unsuccessful after Queensland acting premier Steven Miles announced on that the state's borders will be closed at 1am Saturday morning to anyone who has been in the greater Melbourne area in the past 14 days.

The stance follows a five-day "short, sharp circuit breaker" lockdown, as described by Victorian Premier Dan Andrews, being brought in by the government in response to 13 COVID-19 cases being linked to a quarantine hotel.
Victoria's lockdown comes into effect in a bid to quell an outbreak of the UK strain of coronavirus linked to the Melbourne Airport Holiday Inn.

Both All Stars teams were originally scheduled to meet on Monday before a week of training and community visits leading into next Saturday's clash.
Replacements can be sourced from Queensland clubs and NSW-based teams, including the Warriors who are training at the Central Coast, given there are no restrictions on crossing that state border.

The Warriors also have Maori-eligible players Kodi Nikorima, Tohu Harris and Chanel Harris-Tavita in their Terrigal camp after new coach Nathan Brown opted not to release the trio for the All Stars outing.
Warriors forwards Jamayne Taunoa-Brown and Josh Curran have been named in the Indigenous All Stars side.
The drama continues ongoing issues for the Storm around the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic in Melbourne.

Addo-Carr and George Jennings spent part of their pre-season in Lennox Head after the former did not cross the Victorian border when it was closed on New Years eve, while the latter returned to NSW for the birth of his son.
Nine Storm teammates including Ryan Papenhuyzen and Dale Finucane made their own mad dash back to the Victorian capital before Christmas to avoid being placed in quarantine for the start of pre-season training.
Meanwhile, the NSWRL has announced the round two UNE SG Ball Cup match between Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and Victoria Thunderbolts at Belmore Sports Ground on Saturday has been cancelled after Victoria went into lockdown.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
JMK to hooker Benji will start ... It was meant to be.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Topine has been added to the maori side

Russell Packer (Wests Tigers), Esan Marsters, Daejarn Asi and Emry Pere (North Queensland Cowboys), Issac Luke (Brisbane Broncos) and Jackson Topine (Bulldogs) have all been added to the team.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Topine has been added to the maori side

Russell Packer (Wests Tigers), Esan Marsters, Daejarn Asi and Emry Pere (North Queensland Cowboys), Issac Luke (Brisbane Broncos) and Jackson Topine (Bulldogs) have all been added to the team.
Seen that hopefully he has a strong game looking forward to him having a big year

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DWZ named captain, he has been captain for the Maoris for NZ is he even in our leadership group ? He and Hoppa should be vice captains I believe and up there if they captain their countries why can’t they captain our club ? Would they do worse then JJ ?

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
DWZ named captain, he has been captain for the Maoris for NZ is he even in our leadership group ? He and Hoppa should be vice captains I believe and up there if they captain their countries why can’t they captain our club ? Would they do worse then JJ ?
I don't know about vice captains but they deserve to be in some sort of leadership role.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Jackos a bulldog through and through. A one club man, not many of them around these days

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The boys make Topine look like a kid
Hopefully punches above his weightFB_IMG_1613515995702.jpg

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pretty sure our unofficial vice captain Elliott won’t have that tag anymore