Opinion Was Shifty our best ever 7? If not who was better??

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
My best 7 will always to date be Turvey.
In the next generation its being noted Polla mounter but Baa played 6 and 7 so he comes in for mine above Shifty. If we are talking Greats to wear the Blue and White then I am nominating JT as he is clearly the best new era half regardless if it was after he left us. The fact is his accomplishments are well above even Andrew Johns now in my opinion.
So I have in order

1. STEVE MORTIMER
2. TERRY LAMB
3. JONATHAN THURSTON
4. BRENT SHERWIN
5. CRAIG POLLA MOUNTER
6. TRENT HODKINSON
Don't get how anyone can think JT was better than, or achieved more than Johns.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I wasn’t old enough to get to watch Turvey.
Shifty was the form 7 for a good 3 years but just burnt out way too quick.

More recent memory would have to be Trent Hodkinson, how many big games did we win with him controlling the team? He also ended the maroons dominance lol
Shifty was 5x the player Hodko ever was.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Turvey then Shifty then CPM then Kimmorley over the past 50 years. Interesting tho that Hopkinson played SOO while Shifty didn't. Just goes to show the lack of talent for NSW before Cleary cemented his spot as NSW half over the last decade.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its gotta be a toss up between Kevin Moore and Daniel Holdsworth I reckon. Or maybe Ben Roberts. I can't decide.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Mortimer. I was lucky enough to watch him at his best.. those chip n chases were brilliant to watch. No other halfback since comes close to him.

Sherwin is the next best I have seen at the dogs. Very under rated player.

After that its Kyle Flanagan... haha relax its a joke
I was lucky enough to grow up in the Steve Mortimer era also..had the great pleasure of having him teach us how to chip kick when he first moved to Greenacre in his early years...he would show us on the road in Merritt cresent and did so for a long time...years later my mum worked with Peter Moore & again we had a bit to do with Stevie Morts...seriously a great human & imo the 'Greatest Bulldog' of them all..of course Baa, Polly, Robbo..the list goes on of great players but Steve Mortimer is the best Bulldog of them all imo...and a sensational human

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I wasn’t old enough to get to watch Turvey.
Shifty was the form 7 for a good 3 years but just burnt out way too quick.

More recent memory would have to be Trent Hodkinson, how many big games did we win with him controlling the team? He also ended the maroons dominance lol
Hodkinson was the most overrated half i have ever seen. Imo he was terrible, he would touch the ball sometimes once in a set of six, some never. He did sweet fuk all bar kick. Cleary touches the ball minimum 4 times a set in offence. Thats what a halfbacks role is. Not sit back and do nothing

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ever no that goes to turvey in recent times hes up there