WARRIORS WAIT ON DOGS WINGER

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a scary thought bro, and yes we will definitely have to chip in, the question is how much do they value the prospect of having DWZ in their squad?

If they they want him for this year, surely they see (for some reason) that dallin will get them closer to their target for this year.

I doubt they are inquiring for shits and giggles.

They may have cap space to burn this year which may help both clubs.
It looks like they will get him for $400k. I reckon he is worth $300k but thats obviously just an opinion.

They are getting a decent winger who can fill in at fullback and centre at a pinch so its not a big stretch for them to outlay $400k. The sticking point for DWZ might be the amount they want him to pay him for 2023. I doubt it would be more than the $400k they are getting him for this year and next.

So he needs to agree to take a fair haircut

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hooper has demonstrated countless times that he has no understanding whatsoever of how the Salary Cap actually works. We already have a contract lodged with the NRL for DWZ for THIS year and NEXT year. Whatever is in that contract goes against our Cap. The only way to change that is to lodge a contract variation or a new contract that covers THIS year and separately NEXT year, that's if we want to pay him anything next year. An NRL player can not be contracted to 2 clubs at the same time, which for example means that we can't have a contract that has half of his value for next year and the Warriors have another contract for the other half. It's also made more complex because we are 8 months in this year's contract which generally means that the player has been paid 8/12ths of the annual contracted amount. Relocation costs for DWZ and his family, plus a car and TPA's if there are any involved, are not included in the Cap but will carry some weight as to what DWZ himself agrees to.

It is not possible to bring forward next year's already contracted Cap value into this year., that would be considered by the NRL as front/back loading which is specifically not allowed.

I am not involved, but there is no way that any "dithering" is happening, I would hope that what we are pushing hard for is $zero in our Cap for DWZ for next year. What happens this year is where I see the negotiations taking some time to sort through, plus the outside of the Cap items.

Always a Bulldog
Don't shoot the messenger, it's just the question was asked and that was his answer.

There's got to be some merit to it

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have the Warriors left themselves a little short by letting Maumolo go without DWZ in place? What are their reserve stocks like?

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is how it should go down.

We release DWZ effective immediately and we continue to pay his 2021 contract.

2022 contract to be paid by Warriors with not 1 cent contributed by the Bulldogs

Phillip Ronald Gould to be released to Canterbury effective immediately

FZ1-S

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Make one thing very clear. The club wants DWZ to move on.
But not for his lack of contribution to the team. It's because of the silly contract he was given.
He is on huge money, and it badly affects the salary cap. Hoppa is in the same boat,
but his contribution to the team is the prime factor.
Surely Hoppa's in reserve grade once Allen is back on deck!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is how it should go down.

We release DWZ effective immediately and we continue to pay his 2021 contract.

2022 contract to be paid by Warriors with not 1 cent contributed by the Bulldogs

Phillip Ronald Gould to be released to Canterbury effective immediately
Yeh thats how id structure it too. Id tell them we pay full freight this year. In effect you get a free player for 10 rounds etc. But next year you cover his full wage or negotiate a new pay for him between the two parties. If Zelezniak is willing to forgo a part of his contract to fit him in so be it.

The bad thing is due to the NRL pay cycle being November to November we have covered 7 months. If he is on $780k this season that is $455k gone (these are made up numbers kennel, dont take it as gospel). all we have to do is pay out the remaining $325k (which was already accounted for) and next year we have the best part of $800k to play with.

Only thing I can think of is say we are supposedly after Naden for this season and with the swap we cant afford him. But I'd rather finish with a spoon and not have DWZ on the books for 22 (even paying full freight this season), then finish 15th and he sticks around for another year. His contract next season will do more damage then good for us (as i have said for the last 2.5 years. With him off the books in effect you are in the ball park for a half, hooker, fullback or 2 decent props.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh thats how id structure it too. Id tell them we pay full freight this year. In effect you get a free player for 10 rounds etc. But next year you cover his full wage or negotiate a new pay for him between the two parties. If Zelezniak is willing to forgo a part of his contract to fit him in so be it.

The bad thing is due to the NRL pay cycle being November to November we have covered 7 months. If he is on $780k this season that is $455k gone (these are made up numbers kennel, dont take it as gospel). all we have to do is pay out the remaining $325k (which was already accounted for) and next year we have the best part of $800k to play with.

Only thing I can think of is say we are supposedly after Naden for this season and with the swap we cant afford him. But I'd rather finish with a spoon and not have DWZ on the books for 22 (even paying full freight this season), then finish 15th and he sticks around for another year. His contract next season will do more damage then good for us (as i have said for the last 2.5 years. With him off the books in effect you are in the ball park for a half, hooker, fullback or 2 decent props.
Any deal signed and approved by the NRL cannot be negotiated down. Even if a player agrees to it. Every dollar DWZ signed for under the Salary Cap needs to be allocated to someone until the end of 2022.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maumolo would have been a handy pickup as a winger as a swap..

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still think we need Johnson though
Johnson is such a tough call. We have Jake and Flanno next year as options.

Obviously Johnson is an upgrade on those but if you have a look at his career I wouldn’t call it successful. This year will be his 11th year in first grade. In his 8 years at the warriors they made the semis twice. He made the grand final in his first year but since then he has not won a single finals game.

That’s not a good stat for a halfback.

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Both oozing with talent and Barrett's a halves coach. BBO and Rajab coming through too.
No doubt the talent, just can’t see them, at the age and experience they are now, able to lead the team around for 25 rounds
7 Johnson
6 Averillo
13 Burton, sort of yeo type roll with a lot more flair and talent, would that work?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Johnson is such a tough call. We have Jake and Flanno next year as options.

Obviously Johnson is an upgrade on those but if you have a look at his career I wouldn’t call it successful. This year will be his 11th year in first grade. In his 8 years at the warriors they made the semis twice. He made the grand final in his first year but since then he has not won a single finals game.

That’s not a good stat for a halfback.
The SJ hype is a load of nonsense. He would be a Floporan part 2 signing. No more past it players, stop gap halves should not break the bank ie: the Blake Green deal or what Souffs did with Benji.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

A couple of things, firstly it's 8 months, for most teams June has already been paid, leaving 4 months left to pay. But that's in "cash terms", which is next to irrelevant when it comes to the Cap, all that matters there is the total contracted value for the year. Players often get advanced payments during the year for things like cars, moving expenses, weddings or house deposits. As long as the total payments in the year do not exceed the contract value then the NRL doesn't care.

Secondly, as far as I am aware we still have available at least the 5% allowed to be retained in the Cap, that's around $450k, more than enough for Naden (or someone else).

Always a Bulldog