Warning for Optus customers

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Optus databases were hacked. The hackers managed to get info on existing and previous customers including phone numbers, addresses, dates of birth, driver's licence numbers, and other various details.

Basically put, if you were ever an Optus customer there's a decent chance hackers now have enough of your details to steal your identity. So keep an eye on bank accounts and other stuff.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The main problem with this is, they've got your SPI's so there's very little you can do in protecting your accounts because it wasn't passwords or security questions that were hacked.

Only thing you can do is keep an eye on all your accounts

chemdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
probs came from China or some other dodgy country

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Best to turn on all purchase alerts on your accounts, reduce daily limit, and email address for notification.

However your personal information can be used to obtain credit. And this is impossible to stop.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I got my identity stolen years ago, it’s horrendous.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
THanks
Optus databases were hacked. The hackers managed to get info on existing and previous customers including phone numbers, addresses, dates of birth, driver's licence numbers, and other various details.

Basically put, if you were ever an Optus customer there's a decent chance hackers now have enough of your details to steal your identity. So keep an eye on bank accounts and other stuff.
Thanks for the heads up

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
bullshit conspiracy theory thread, why would anybody want to hack anybody else? it doesn't make sense at all

obviously the data ended up being revealed naturally or by an honest mistake

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
bullshit conspiracy theory thread, why would anybody want to hack anybody else? it doesn't make sense at all

obviously the data ended up being revealed naturally or by an honest mistake
What? Not sure if serious but hackers buy and sell data. Its a valuable asset. If you obtain multiple datasets, you can complete someone’s profile and pump loan and credit applications out.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
What? Not sure if serious but hackers buy and sell data. Its a valuable asset. If you obtain multiple datasets, you can complete someone’s profile and pump loan and credit applications out.
this is right up there with bigfoot conspiracies, people wouldn't do this to other people because they don't care about money

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
this is right up there with bigfoot conspiracies, people wouldn't do this to other people because they don't care about money
What? Are you saying that the data breach never happened?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
What? Are you saying that the data breach never happened?
it happened naturally or by mistake, its a conspiracy theory to say that people went in there to intentionally steal data to make money, you need evidence to back up your claims

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
it happened naturally or by mistake, its a conspiracy theory to say that people went in there to intentionally steal data to make money, you need evidence to back up your claims
I was talking to a bloke the other day on a similar kind of topic about I wouldn’t be surprised if COVID was a mistake and escaped from a lab and he said you need evidence and I said I live in Lewisham Sydney how the fuck would I actually know what the fuck im talking about and he said well yeah exactly. Then we just did other stuff.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So if I am an Optus customer and I've recently been a victim of fraud. Could I sue Optus for compensation?

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
So if I am an Optus customer and I've recently been a victim of fraud. Could I sue Optus for compensation?
If you pool your efforts in a class action with a firm willing to take it on perhaps but I think individually it would be a waste of time.