Walker shopping around for new NRL club

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walker shopping around for new NRL club
Saturday, July 8, 2006 - 4:07 PM

South Sydney halfback Ben Walker says he has another three or four years left in him, but he has no idea at which NRL club he might be spending them.

Walker and his brother, hooker Shane, are both off contract and are not part of the revamped Rabbitohs' plans for 2007 despite the fact the club's rush of signings hasn't included a No.7.

Walker said he "kind of" knew the club was moving on without him after media reports this week had the club's hierarchy confirming the Walkers would leave at season's end.

Asked about his future, former Brisbane and Northern Eagles player Walker said he had "no idea" but had spoken to "a couple" of NRL clubs.

"I'm only 29, I've got three of four (seasons) left in me yet," he said.

Rabbitohs coach Shaun McRae said the club had decided to look at its other halfback options, including talented but inconsistent youngster Joe Williams, 18-year-old SG Ball half Eddie Paea and recent recruit Scott Briggs.

"Ben was actually made an offer, he didn't feel it was enough and the offer wasn't extended so we moved on from there," McRae said.

"I don't think Shane was ever made an offer but we've recruited Daniel Irvine and also we've got Stuart Webb and Shane's been at the club for about four years and we just felt it was probably time to make a change in that area."

Ben Walker will line up at halfback for last placed Souths on Sunday when they take on the in-form St George Illawarra side (third) at Oki Jubilee Stadium.

While the Dragons will have Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, Ben Hornby and Luke Bailey backing up from Wednesday's State of Origin decider, the Rabbitohs go in with their usual lengthy list of injured and suspended first-graders.

Shane Walker (groin), Luke (groin) and Adam (suspension) MacDougall, Shannon Hegarty (shoulder), Jaiman Lowe (ribs) and Luke Stuart (knee) will all be missing.

It's a situation McRae hopes will improve with former Australian cricket physio Errol Alcott already on board full-time and involved in a review of the club's medical and rehabilitation programs.

"I believe there will be some changes made both to the medical and the rehab staff because I think that's an area where we've been depleted in our ranks and it's such a vital area in our business," he said.

"I just don't think we've ever had the resources or the finances to ever be able to do it as well as we would have liked and as well as other clubs do it.

"He's (Alcott's) got a lot of experience, a lot of ideas and he's reviewing the staff in those areas and making recommendations as to what we need to do."

The Dragons have won nine of the sides' 10 meetings, including a 44-14 round three victory this year, but this will be their first clash at Kogarah since the merger between St George and Illawarra in 1999.

http://www.nrl.com.au/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/1987/Default.aspx

M

MrCharisma

Smart move

Souths don't need an old man halfback... they need to find something soon though, or their season will continue to suck

I say it time and time again, Richard Horne is coming!!!

.PARANoIR.

I stole this off Charisma
Reaction score
I've been hoping for Richard Horne for the last few years. I'm still certain that the McRae connection will bring Horne to the club.

That would be immense for the Rabbits if they picked him up.

M

MrCharisma

I also find it funny that Chris Walker is off contract too

M

MrCharisma

Yah I know... but I'm just saying it's funny that all three Walker brothers are off contract.

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
What's wrong with these guys? Why are they so unwanted? They aren't that bad..FFS C. Walker used to be a QLD Rep..

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
who the **** is richard horne?

im not up to date with all the ESL players n shiz lol

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
mitchusonfire said:

TBH, I was thinking the same thing. But I'm guessing he's a halfback of a former club McRae once coached? :confused:

.PARANoIR.

I stole this off Charisma
Reaction score
mitchusonfire said:

Plays for Hull. Has represented GB on numerous occasions, in several positions. Best known as a halfback but has played for the poms on the wing aswell. Very versatile player, with a top kicking game.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

one reason the walker boys have no clubs they can not tackle none of them.

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
I see..I feel for these blokes. Hope they find somewhere soon...It's really sad when a team like SOUTHS doesn't want you. If they are offloading, who the feck is going to take you?

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
Majn00n said:
I see..I feel for these blokes. Hope they find somewhere soon...It's really sad when a team like SOUTHS doesn't want you. If they are offloading, who the feck is going to take you?
yeah so true,
its a real shame...

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Majn00n said:
Our Premier League side, actually too bad they can't play Jersey flegg or sg ball(they have age restrictions don't they?)

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
Zor said:
Our Premier League side, actually too bad they can't play Jersey flegg or sg ball(they have age restrictions don't they?)

Meh, they'd take up positions for juniors who will be our future. These guys are almost over...Still no use in JF and PL tbh. :o

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Majn00n said:
Parkes Spaceman :D

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
BULLDOG GEORGE said:
one reason the walker boys have no clubs they can not tackle none of them.
Well Ben could always join the Cowboys and play in that sandpit that is named in his honour (cos he can't tackle for shyt...lol)

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
i dont really like ben walker.. but shane walkers a great guy plus team player. i woulda thoght shane would have been offered a contract

Status
Not open for further replies.