Opinion Wakeham

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
B.Smith is an interesting one. Melbourne obviously dont see him as a hooker because even if C.Smith retires Harry Grant is their number 9

He also cant get a spot at 13 because Finucane is there

So he could be an option at either 9 or 13. I am thinking he is more of a 13 these days
Bang on, not sure he's a full-time 9. Melbourne should try Finucane at Prop and Brendan at 13.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Averillo
6. Burton
7. Wakeham
9. B.Smith /
Is my preferred spine.

Agree. I like Cotric, but recently have become very wary of his signing with Alomati and Schoupp in our lower grades. We need a solid older option there who is easily moved on when the young fellas are ready
Id sign cotric to a 3 year deal and then if both kids make the grade they should be ready around then and we can make a decision. But getting Cotric gives you a young rep player if they don’t make it. I like your spine I’d support that.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
agree, but if he was even half as good as Thurston we would already know by now. I have nothing against Wakeham, but he isn't going to be a top quality NRL halfback so what's the point.
The club desperately needs to go to the market and find a quality 9 & 7.
How do you know that? Did Sherwin jump out when he started playing and look the goods? No chance he did. He pushed himself and tried things, and eventually worked out what did work. Wakeham very much plays like Sherwin did. And with Sherwin in his ear at training, that's not surprising. I think he can be a well above average half, who tries his heart out. And heart is one thing that is hard to make. You don't want a pea heart like Mitchell Pierce who goes missing when the game is on the line.

It's the same reason a lot of us loved Reynolds, didn't have the talent of most 5/8ths. But he played his guts out, and at times made a lot of them look like fools.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Agreed he looked good was foran even playing?
I think wakham is bog stock shit as best.
I really don't get all the love this guy with such a shit hair cut is getting on the kennel.

The guy is not, and will never be NRL standard.
He should go super league and even there he will be average.

But, all the lovers can keep fapping over the kid if you want.

ibby

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He is garbage full stop there is no way he deserves another chance u can tell if a player has it all not his garbage ill rather have the other wanker lewis

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Team was harrendous today.. I'm far from convinced about wakeham, but hard to judge a half playing on the back foot all games because the whole team was dominated.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Team was harrendous today.. I'm far from convinced about wakeham, but hard to judge a half playing on the back foot all games because the whole team was dominated.
True, but the kid did nothing when we were rolling and in good field position

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Even though he wasn't particularly great tonight, he did some good things and kicked effectively for the most part. Obviously he has fair way to go developing his game, I think he's shown enough to clearly be our best half back moving forward
Ok.
So a few weeks have passed now. And I have to say he is shit.
Has a shit haircut
Has no creativity
No foresight
No footy brains.
And is not and will never be an NRL standard halfback.
I am not, and will not be a fan of Wakham.

Having watched footy for 40 years I have seen some amazing halfbacks come and go.

Wakham is out of his depth and would not get a start at any other club.

Cogger and Lewis are not world beaters either
But are better options right now.

I think we really need to find a decent halfback external.

Our options available are not the answer.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
True, but the kid did nothing when we were rolling and in good field position
Tbh our general passing as a team is abysmal... Not just jmk .. I really struggle to see anyone from our team that passes a ball in front and to the midrif of the player receiving the ball.. most times the halves are reaching backwards to receive the ball or picking it up from their toes or over their head... Also explains why Foran is so in affective... Like I said not convinced about wakeham but not the game to be blaming anyone individual .. except maybe dwz.. he was by far worst on ground..