Opinion Wakeham

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Well I can't off the top of my head.

Maybe playing next to Foran consistently for this year is just what he needs.

Whatever the answer is, I know it's not by repeating what pay did with Lewis.

PS brutal truth is we will always be cannon fodder with pay at the helm.
Happy to give Wakeman a go, certainly nothing to lose this season I guess
But he ain't no star or even a star in the making.

Take Foran or example, he played 1st grade at 19 and made the New Zealand team (yes I know big deal) also at 19.
That's my point however, with halves the talented ones come through early.

Also our
Not to make a comparison. But I think cooper cronk was around 23 when he first played half for the storm. I think he only switched to half when orders left. I reckon there are heaps of halves who were not dominating at 20yo. There are also flops like ash Taylor and Brooks who started their careers on fire but have been rubbish for years. Wakeham may develop he may not, but at least give him 20 games to see what he can do.
Cronk was at storm in 2004 behind Matt Orford.
He was playing a utility role but certainly playing.
There is no one of Orford's quality keeping Wakeham out of 1st grade.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Happy to give Wakeman a go, certainly nothing to lose this season I guess
But he ain't no star or even a star in the making.

Take Foran or example, he played 1st grade at 19 and made the New Zealand team (yes I know big deal) also at 19.
That's my point however, with halves the talented ones come through early.
Hence saying I wouldn't mind having Wakeham next to Foz for at least this year.

BUT

If there is an established half on the market next year then we would be stupid not to try to sign them up.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I guess, but I do want the team to win games they can win.
Not be cannon fodder while "developing" players.

Name one good halfback in the last 20 years who wasn't playing 1st grade and playing well by 21?
Cody Walker didnt make his NRL debut until he was 26.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Yeah I guess, but I do want the team to win games they can win.
Not be cannon fodder while "developing" players.

Name one good halfback in the last 20 years who wasn't playing 1st grade and playing well by 21?
Brett Sherwin who really struggled to oust Corey Hughes. Even back then it was very divided between the support base which of the two was the better half. Those that knew footy could see that Sherwin would be the man. Just took him 3 years to get that role fulltime (24yrs of age).

And we were in a rebuild at the time. Just was a lot quicker as we had to get rid of all our old guys.

Last edited:

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What a waste of a halfback that has no kicking game, no running game and would be lucky to make a reserve grade side.

He will never make his mark as a first grade player. Absolutely useless. Get ride of him.
Hi lewis,

how does it feel to get dropped?

Malla

Reaction score
Wakeham is good, he had the balls to try something other then a flat ball and it came off with that Hoppa try. He was also turning forwards back on the inside. Offered a lot more than Lewis.

Yes there are parts of his game that need work, but he has so much more promise and potential than Lewis ever will. I hope he and Averillo can build a combination together over the next few years.

Also loved the cheap shot on Dugan and that he never took a backwards step when Dugan tried to be a hard **** lol

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has his shot at 7 now so it is entirely up to him. Except for the silly Dugan stuff I thought he went ok but his kicking will need work particularly if the Bionic 5/8 doesn't kick..

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pay praised Wakeham in the presser which is fair to say he keeps the 7 this week

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Pay praised Wakeham in the presser which is fair to say he keeps the 7 this week
SO he should. He has given others a lot of chances. Best we see what Wakeham has and how he develops over the next 6-7 weeks, which are sort of make or break given the teams we are playing.

I'd love for him to listen to Sherwin and get those grubbers Sherwin was so good at in his game, cause you look at the best teams and they are forcing repeat sets if they can't score, especially due to the 6 again rule. I already see plenty of Sherwin in Wakeham.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
For a guy that has been given fuck all opportunities he looked promising and will get better the more he plays

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Brett Sherwin who really struggled to oust Corey Hughes. Even back then it was very divided between the support base which of the two was the better half. Those that knew footy could see that Sherwin would be the man. Just took him 3 years to get that role fulltime (24yrs of age).

And we were in a rebuild at the time. Just was a lot quicker as we had to get rid of all our old guys.
I do remember that. However wasn't Sherwin the understudy to Ricky Stewart. Came into 1st grade when Stewart was injured? Then in 1st grade as 5/8.

He was 2nd in Daily M in 2002 so certainty has the halfback position his own by then.

Great player, when the club had so many good players.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Also Wakeham has to work with Pays tactics which is heavily forward based and an 8yr old plan. It doesn't suit his style. Change it up, let foran and Wakeham be first receivers to control the forwards then we can really see if he is up to it.
But i do like the kid. Has the balls and temperemt to be a long term half.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I do remember that. However wasn't Sherwin the understudy to Ricky Stewart. Came into 1st grade when Stewart was injured? Then in 1st grade as 5/8.

He was 2nd in Daily M in 2002 so certainty has the halfback position his own by then.

Great player, when the club had so many good players.
He was in and out of the team. 1999 he got some chances, but was behind Stuart. Stuart left. 2000-2001 Folkes was flip flopping between Corey Hughes, Darryl Trindal and Brent Sherwin. Sherwin towards the end of 2001 finally nailed the position only to get injured before the semi's. It was his role in 2002 and he didn't look back.

If the Kennel existed then, (It was Rleague forums similar to the Front Row forums), there was heaps of debate who should own the spot. Tricky Tindall was accused of domestic violence halfway through 2001, otherwise I suspect he would have owned the role for a few extra seasons. Both had there good and bad sides. But Sherwin was a much better kicker. And once he got the role added heaps of extra stuff to his game.

I think I've seen enough of Lewis to say his ceiling is not very high. He can become an average player, similar to Ben Roberts/Daniel Holdsworth. But that's it.

Wakeham I hope can push himself to be better than that. But it's really up to him to work on his game, and take the chance he has now.

Last edited:

Samuel

New Pup
Reaction score
He was fuckin shit and cost us the game keeps lookin at himself on the big screen , Lewis ain’t a half but he can tackle and he’s hard , we need a pommie half or one that can play in the middle , wakeham cant
Lewis can Tackle.. But cannot defend on the line. Has let in the most tries in the NRL. Worst 7 to put on the Jersey.. Wakeham has alot of potential and should be the future 7.. Give him 10 games to build confidance

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First up full marks for Pay selecting both Wakeham and Avo.

Wakeham looked so much better than Lewis.

Solid game, good passing, took the line on and better defence than expected.

Want to see him make a line break and see his speed.

Needs the rest of season in FG to show us what he can do.

Liked the tackle of the man on the ground.

Don't think we should be concerned about him its Foran we should worry about.

No kicking, speed or involvement, seems like he is playing like he worried about injury.

Bulldog Joe

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hence saying I wouldn't mind having Wakeham next to Foz for at least this year.

BUT

If there is an established half on the market next year then we would be stupid not to try to sign them up.
I agree with you Wakeham deserves a fair go and definitely should be in the team before Lewis (who should not be in the team again), but I think Averillo could be a star as a running half and should be given an opportunity in what I think will be his best position.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I agree with you Wakeham deserves a fair go and definitely should be in the team before Lewis (who should not be in the team again), but I think Averillo could be a star as a running half and should be given an opportunity in what I think will be his best position.
I'm just happy he is in FG consistently bro. We need him on the field and he needs to be on the field.