News Waddell to thrive under Barrett

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
. RFM could definitely play either. He was our best forward last year , he was close to our best attacking player too. But he seemed to get bigger each week , if he keeps bulking up like that I think he will end up playing prop. I love the way our pack is looking now. I’m obviously biased, but if we signed BSmith , I reckon we have the best pack in the comp.
I'm not the keenest on RFM's lateral movement/speed in the second row. I thought there was potential to play RFM at prop and Hetherington in the second row but when predicting the line-up I think it's safest to keep RFM in the second row. We have options at least.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not the keenest on RFM's lateral movement/speed in the second row. I thought there was potential to play RFM at prop and Hetherington in the second row but when predicting the line-up I think it's safest to keep RFM in the second row. We have options at least.
How good is it to have options again ! If RFM has a weakness you’ve picked it. The only reason I’m suggesting him as prop is the fact Thompson is gonna be missing till round 5 I think, And I would much prefer RFM as his replacement than Napa until Thompson returns.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
In a way yes, but I just think he's a better middle forward and provides better balance to our bench.
I also think he's better there, but reducing his minutes from 80 to probably around 30 off the bench seems like a good way to competely demotivated a person. I guess there is a chance to start him there with Thompson out for a month though?

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thompson, RFM (I still think he'll start in the second row), Ogden, Hetherington and To'omaga are all ahead of Napa for me as players. That would mean when you remove who's on what ($) Napa shouldn't make the team imo.
Sorry mate I quoted the wrong person in the wrong thread LOL

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How good is it to have options again ! If RFM has a weakness you’ve picked it. The only reason I’m suggesting him as prop is the fact Thompson is gonna be missing till round 5 I think, And I would much prefer RFM as his replacement than Napa until Thompson returns.
Yep RFM is an interesting one. He was our best player this year but that was like being the skinniest kid at fat camp.

He would be just as good in the middle. He doesnt really have a pass and even though he scored some tries I wouldnt call him a line breaking backrower. I think Baz will play him in the middle and our forward pack will look something like :

13. Elliott
12. Jackson
11. Waddell
10. Thompson
9. JMK
8. Ogden

14. Katoa
15. RFM
16. Hetherington
17. To'omaga

Not saying thats what I would pick and it may change depending on other signings. Unless Napa has a big off season and impresses when Thompson is out I cant see him making our top 17 based on the last 2 years.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yep RFM is an interesting one. He was our best player this year but that was like being the skinniest kid at fat camp.

He would be just as good in the middle. He doesnt really have a pass and even though he scored some tries I wouldnt call him a line breaking backrower. I think Baz will play him in the middle and our forward pack will look something like :

13. Elliott
12. Jackson
11. Waddell
10. Thompson
9. JMK
8. Ogden

14. Katoa
15. RFM
16. Hetherington
17. To'omaga

Not saying thats what I would pick and it may change depending on other signings. Unless Napa has a big off season and impresses when Thompson is out I cant see him making our top 17 based on the last 2 years.
He won't play Jackson on an edge, offers nothing there. And I doubt Ogden even makes the 17.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Definitely RFM starting for Rd 1, don't care if it's prop or on the edge. Now with some proper coaching from Furner and Barrett he'll just get better

Waddell could be handy -he played pretty well at Manly with limited chances. But he's mainly for depth IMO.
Waddell seems like a good option off the bench, can play down the middle or off an edge, and in a game with a bit of an injury crisis among the backs he could just about fill in at centre if needed. It would be a big enough challenge for him in a new team, and a chance for him to put a case for more minutes.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know Thompson played prop in the UK. But I think he's better suited to being an edge forward. He is 102kgs.
He has the knack of being a ball runner. He just needs good service from the halves etc.
You have to utilise players where their strength is, and that is running the ball.
Same with RFM. He is not a prop. He plays similar to Kikau.

Dog gone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree i love rfm,s offloads but his lateral movement also makes him a lazy defender especially as he's getting tired he showed this alot last year and seemed to have bad defencive reads at times, almost like oh someoneelse will make the tackle i couldn't be bothered attitude not good enough

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I have faith baz will pick who's the best fit for the job whether it's waddell or rfm. Waddell looks like he's been training really good. Can't wait to see the line up for round 1

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I have faith baz will pick who's the best fit for the job whether it's waddell or rfm. Waddell looks like he's been training really good. Can't wait to see the line up for round 1
Yh but Lewis Brown lol. **** was fucking shit house yet Baz continually selected him :tearsofjoy:

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yh but Lewis Brown lol. c*** was fucking shit house yet Baz continually selected him :tearsofjoy:
Manly didnt really have good depth, plus injuries. Baz wont make the same mistake again hopefully

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He won't play Jackson on an edge, offers nothing there. And I doubt Ogden even makes the 17.
Its definitely between Ogden/Stimson/Renouf/wadell depending on the line-up for a bench spot. Pity kids like Doorey are held back atm.
Yh but Lewis Brown lol. c*** was fucking shit house yet Baz continually selected him :tearsofjoy:
Sharky was a decent utility you could shift across the park.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep you're entitled to your opinion (as am I).

I agree Jackson's best days are well & truly behind him but I still think he will at least start the season on the right edge. Elliott will be lock. I am pretty certain of that. Some people are saying Elliott will be on an edge but he hasnt played there in years.

Who makes the 17 in front of Ogden ? Surely not Napa ?

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think between him and Stimson fit we have an upgrade in rotation being able to leave out Britt Smith etc. throw Doorey in as well and that’s decent back row options.

still, not expecting him to be a gun

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

13. Elliott
12. Jackson
11. Waddell
10. Thompson
9. JMK
8. Ogden

14. Katoa
15. RFM
16. Hetherington
17. To'omaga

I like it alot

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yep you're entitled to your opinion (as am I).

I agree Jackson's best days are well & truly behind him but I still think he will at least start the season on the right edge. Elliott will be lock. I am pretty certain of that. Some people are saying Elliott will be on an edge but he hasnt played there in years.

Who makes the 17 in front of Ogden ? Surely not Napa ?
We're all just guessing what Baz is thinking and it's possible what he's thinking right now is not what he goes with come round 1 or round 12 later in the season. We're also only two weeks into preseason so there's also that lol.

Personally I think Baz will favour a high tempo attack orientated 17 and having someone like Jackson on the edge probably goes against this. He just doesn't offer enough compared to someone like Elliott who is a little more slippery, runs a better line and is capable of a bit of ball playing (when he isn't making dumb decisions). Jackson right now is just better suited to the middle...he favours running back in behind the ruck, his PC metres are better through the middle and he can focus on getting quick play the balls and building momentum.