News Waddell to thrive under Barrett

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How much better was that interview after they cut all of zaps questions out!! Haha
On a serious note though, he sounds committed, and he could actually turn out to be a very good buy. Im liking that Baz has brought in some agile forwards with some footwork and pace. Perhaps RFM is destined for the front row this year?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
great interview, very positive.
what TB is doing is putting a fast team across the board. it will be a very quick and mobile pack, thompson and hetherington are quick and mobile, add waddell and Elliot thats a quick forward pack.
Definitely looks that way. I like it, especially given the way the game has gone the past few years. The 6 again killed us this year, and I think an agile pack with a few big boppers is the way forward.

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hope Waddy has a good season. Great attitude.
Great attitude and positive, leader-like mannerisms too.
Clearly they don't reflect footy ability but hope it translates well for the Club.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Got to love pre-season optimism
It’s funny as. Our team has actually finished stronger the last two years before this one. Everyone gets excited, we’re building etc. boys need to win early or it’s same ol same ol.

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So far, Barrett has good taste in spine players and outside backs.

I dont really like the taste of his forwards

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like the fact that both Waddell and Hetho have said the same thing, Barrett keeps the instructions simple and everyone understands the part they have to play. With forwards you can not get too technical they just don't have the brain complicity for it. :grinning:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How many bench players are pushing 45+ minutes? I doubt there's a single one that does on a consistent basis.
Exactly. Yes its a 17 man game, but you start your best 13. RFM was our best forward last year, there is no way he is relegated. Especially for a sometimes reserve backrower from manly.
Im not suggesting Waddell is crap, but I think all of our new "fringe" first graders signed really need to earn their spots this year. Sure enough trial form and how they train plays a part, but incumbents who had great years like RFM deserve to hold their place.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Waddell was a gun junior that had a lot of upside. He started off well in the NRL and showed his potential before Des slowly tried to turn him into a robot.

I can't wait for Barrett to utilise him wider and get him playing with more freedom in attack. I think Waddell will surprise a lot of people.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waddell was a gun junior that had a lot of upside. He started off well in the NRL and showed his potential before Des slowly tried to turn him into a robot.

I can't wait for Barrett to utilise him wider and get him playing with more freedom in attack. I think Waddell will surprise a lot of people.
Totally agree - he was their best 20s player only a few seasons ago. Penrith made him top 30 first year out of 20s and then let him go after a pre season injury basically put him out for the year.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I feel Jackson’s spot would be under threat next season. If he doesn’t perform, he should start on the bench.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Waddell will add some 2nd faze that we desperately need. There is plenty of competition for places in the pack now, which is awesome. So Jacko is gonna have to start offering more to the team than just 100% effort if he wants to remain in the starting 13

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel Jackson’s spot would be under threat next season. If he doesn’t perform, he should start on the bench.
I think he starts at 13 with RFM and Waddell / Stimson / Elliott on an edge.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon napper is gonna have to awaken from his hibernation or he won’t make the 17. He’d be ranked 5th of our 5 props and RFM could play prop too and would be ahead of him in that pecking order

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely RFM starting for Rd 1, don't care if it's prop or on the edge. Now with some proper coaching from Furner and Barrett he'll just get better

Waddell could be handy -he played pretty well at Manly with limited chances. But he's mainly for depth IMO.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I reckon napper is gonna have to awaken from his hibernation or he won’t make the 17. He’d be ranked 5th of our 5 props and RFM could play prop too and would be ahead of him in that pecking order
Thompson, RFM (I still think he'll start in the second row), Ogden, Hetherington and To'omaga are all ahead of Napa for me as players. That would mean when you remove who's on what ($) Napa shouldn't make the team imo.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Definitely RFM starting for Rd 1, don't care if it's prop or on the edge. Now with some proper coaching from Furner and Barrett he'll just get better

Waddell could be handy -he played pretty well at Manly with limited chances. But he's mainly for depth IMO.
Thompson, RFM (I still think he'll start in the second row), Ogden, Hetherington and To'omaga are all ahead of Napa for me as players. That would mean when you remove who's on what ($) Napa shouldn't make the team imo.
. RFM could definitely play either. He was our best forward last year , he was close to our best attacking player too. But he seemed to get bigger each week , if he keeps bulking up like that I think he will end up playing prop. I love the way our pack is looking now. I’m obviously biased, but if we signed BSmith , I reckon we have the best pack in the comp.