V'Landys will destroy NRL by adding more teams

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Nrl pays players directly
Help me out here, how does that stop the brown paper bags? Or any other outside the player's contract payments in cash or in kind.

organised through and payed to nrl then distributed to players with nrl taking a small commission
TPA's came about because it is illegal for the NRL to prevent players from supplementing their income with third party agreements. Same as if you or I want to go and work in a non competing job after hours. The NRL inserting themselves into the financial transaction between players and third parties would also be illegal.

5 year loyalty bonus (junior years counted) starting at 20 % and going up 2% per year there after on top of agreed cap value
Would Kiraz be eligible, since he is a Bulldogs junior but he spent a year at the Knoughts? And Jackson would miss out because he has been here more than 5 years?

Ref's relegated monthly based on kpi - uneven play ball speeds, incorrect try decision sent up infringements missed etc.
This one I like, make it black and white, for example "you got overruled by the bunker on a Captain's Challenge 3 times in that game, you're dropped".

Always a Bulldog

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah but like dolphins have. A new team will try poach as many players from the top teams.
Storm have lost kaufusi smith the Bromwich brothers and potentially Munster.
If a 18th team comes in, which I hope it does, they will be straight in trying to poach the best off contract at the best clubs including storm and Panthers.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having an uneven number of teams is stupid. I don’t agree with your idea about promotion and relegation at all. A Perth team is a must and needs to be a priority moving forwards. The idea that we have a team in the Gold Coast to combat the AFL but not there makes no sense.
I agree with your first sentence and most would. Brings about more bye's throughout the season. But don't agree there should be anymore than the current 16 teams as the season is long enough.

As for you not liking the relegation and promotion. Why? It makes for a stronger First Division competition and has worked in English soccer.

As for there being another team in Perth. I'd be all for that despite it not working over 20 years ago, I'd like to see teams from Perth, Adelaide and maybe a 2nd from Melbourne to make up a 2nd Division competition and if they were to succeed in that division they could make their way into First Division Competition.

Last edited:

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We don’t need more teams in the current format it weakens the competition as was evident back in ‘95.

Yes introduce new teams but have a first & 2nd division where the top team from division 2 is promoted and the bottom team from division one is demoted.

Makes for a stronger competition than the one we currently have now and has been for a few years.
You must not have boys playing junior league, more teams means more chances, alot of good players do miss out or give up also.
The more the better. Also more to watch.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must not have boys playing junior league, more teams means more chances, alot of good players do miss out or give up also.
The more the better. Also more to watch.
I'm against more teams with regards to the current set up of 16 teams the competition has already. Results have been the same for the last 4 or 5 years. Something has to change as the current set up isn't working.

Rorters, Panthers, and Storm have dominated the competition in recent years and the Panthers and Storm still look way ahead of the rest of the competition.

I'm for more teams but under a 2nd Division where they can be promoted to 1st Division if they win the 2nd Division competition. Bring in teams from Perth, Adelaide a 2nd from Melbourne. Include the Bears and Newtown into the 2nd Division, that would get some of the older fans interested

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
2 teams sitting in the top 4 that were given no hope to even make the 8 this year suggests it isn't as clear cut.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with your first sentence and most would. Brings about more bye's throughout the season. But don't agree there should be anymore than the current 16 teams as the season is long enough.

As for you not liking the relegation and promotion. Why? It makes for a stronger First Division competition and has worked in English soccer.

As for there being another team in Perth. I'd be all for that despite it not working over 20 years ago, I'd like to see teams from Perth, Adelaide and maybe a 2nd from Melbourne to make up a 2nd Division competition and if they were to succeed in that division they could make their way into First Division Competition.
Promotion and relegation works in soccer leagues around the world as as a byproduct, some other English sports follow this model. It’s not really a format used in most professional sports leagues outside of soccer and I wouldn’t have encourage it here either.
As for the expansion sides, both Perth and Adelaide were working but they were the easiest teams to cut after the Super League war. I’d love to know by what metric you think they weren’t working?

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I just want to know what idiot thought it’d be a great idea to have 17 teams …. So there’s a bye every week for someone … sounds retarded

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm against more teams with regards to the current set up of 16 teams the competition has already. Results have been the same for the last 4 or 5 years. Something has to change as the current set up isn't working.

Rorters, Panthers, and Storm have dominated the competition in recent years and the Panthers and Storm still look way ahead of the rest of the competition.

I'm for more teams but under a 2nd Division where they can be promoted to 1st Division if they win the 2nd Division competition. Bring in teams from Perth, Adelaide a 2nd from Melbourne. Include the Bears and Newtown into the 2nd Division, that would get some of the older fans interested
Its because Storm are smart at identifying young talent and we are dumb. That is the difference.
Bears are an absolute must even if they play out of Wherever. Jets would be a feeder club.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Please help me out here, how does having 2 Divisions change anything in regards to the Chooks, Penrith and Melbourne dominating? They will be in the top division, Panthers will get their juniors from the same sources, Bellamy will still be there, Politis's wallet won't get any smaller, nor will the Chooks sombrero. The results will still be the same, they will just play less teams more often, big farkin deal.

Surely the NRL will not give the 2nd Division team the same amount as they give the 1st Division teams, so they will get stronger and the 2nd Division teams will get weaker. The broadcast rights will be drastically less in total due to less local teams in 1st Div and even more drastically less to split amongst the 2nd Div teams. As a result the 2nd Div teams won't have enough money from advertisers/sponsors to support their local junior leagues so they will die. Which means less juniors in total to graduate to the NRL level.

I have real trouble understanding how a 2nd Div competition will ever survive, the media is going to ignore it and the teams that are in it will fall by the wayside without the ~$14m the NRL currently gives all teams and the support that they currently enjoy from advertiser/sponsors.

Always a Bulldog

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Promotion and relegation works in soccer leagues around the world as as a byproduct, some other English sports follow this model. It’s not really a format used in most professional sports leagues outside of soccer and I wouldn’t have encourage it here either.
As for the expansion sides, both Perth and Adelaide were working but they were the easiest teams to cut after the Super League war. I’d love to know by what metric you think they weren’t working?
Where did I say they were? Please point that out to me. You're the one who said there should be a Perth team!

How do you know it won't work?

The fact is more teams dilutes the talent pool and adding more teams to an already extended season that goes for 26 rounds will only further weaken the competition.

That was proven back in 1995 when all 4 consortiums were given the green light and it highlighted how stupid that decision was yet now we're heading back down that same path. If a team hadn't won a game by Round 5 when there were 20 teams your season was effectively over.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't always believe the talent pool b/s story, a lot of good talent gets snubbed for favours, honestly look at Kyle Flannagan, do you honestly think there wasn't a better junior half that didn't miss out. The half we should have signed is on Tonga's bench also signed by dolphins, Isaiya Kayla. Panthers had no spot for him cause of Cleary and Luilia.
We were silly not to know.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't always believe the talent pool b/s story, a lot of good talent gets snubbed for favours, honestly look at Kyle Flannagan, do you honestly think there wasn't a better junior half that didn't miss out.
I have seen KFlanagan play since high school and honestly I don't think there was a better junior half that missed out.

Always a Bulldog

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did I say they were? Please point that out to me. You're the one who said there should be a Perth team!

How do you know it won't work?

The fact is more teams dilutes the talent pool and adding more teams to an already extended season that goes for 26 rounds will only further weaken the competition.

That was proven back in 1995 when all 4 consortiums were given the green light and it highlighted how stupid that decision was yet now we're heading back down that same path. If a team hadn't won a game by Round 5 when there were 20 teams your season was effectively over.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel many should care as I've read many posts on here from diehard fans and I'm sure other fans from teams not doing so well, that are losing interest in the code when it is a lopsided competition, with blowout scores and seems to have been the case for a few years now.

Adding more teams only weakens it further and that potentially could turn many fans away from the game and follow one of the 2 Sydney AFL teams which seems to be a far more even competition than the NRL has been in recent years.
But is the lopsided competition due to V'Landys adding more teams, and diluting the elite players pool, or is it due to V'Landys fvcking with the rules and allowing the balance of the competition to be manipulated. Either way he needs to just fvck of and CEO or whatever he's supposed to do and leave the game to the coaches and players to contest.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But is the lopsided competition due to V'Landys adding more teams, and diluting the elite players pool, or is it due to V'Landys fvcking with the rules and allowing the balance of the competition to be manipulated. Either way he needs to just fvck of and CEO or whatever he's supposed to do and leave the game to the coaches and players to contest.
Yep a bit of both.

He could get away with that in horse racing because mug punters will bet on anything and don’t give a rats so long as they’re betting on something and P V’L knows this only to well.

He’s made a few good decisions but if there is way he can get more revenue or turnover from punters or fans he will.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You could try saying the same about WNRL, they have announced 4 new teams, how is there talent pool.
C'mon are we kidding ourselves, I'm happy for the woman, but why run Harold Matthews and SG Ball for only 9 games plus finals, that's a mistake in itself, even the woman play nearly all year round.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stated they didn’t work out back then due FOUR consortiums / clubs starting in 1995 only through the greed from Arthurson and Quayle. Made the comp a complete joke and the Western Reds didn’t last 2 years. As I said they didn’t work back then and adding them into an already congested season will weaken the comp further and we’ll see them either go broke again and or other long standing clubs having to merge.

After declaring that the club may not have the financial resources to compete in the 1996 ARL Optus Cup, a major sponsorship with the Rupert Murdoch-owned Sunday Times gave the club some much needed money. By mid 1996 club support had dwindled to just over 6,000.