Status
Not open for further replies.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think they call them "Leeches". Very popular in the 1500s

it is a proven fact the regular blood donors live a healthy life.

more the body makes new blood and replaces the older blood , better it is for the body.

Bit like oil in the car engine, you have to keep replacing it regularly to keep the engine healthy.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

more the body makes new blood and replaces the older blood , better it is for the body.

Bit like oil in the car engine, you have to keep replacing it regularly to keep the engine healthy.
Of course they live a healthy life. If they weren't healthy then they couldn't donate blood.

It does have health benefits kind of. Donating blood lowers the amount of iron in the blood which for men is generally a good thing as high levels of iron can lead to heart problems and potentially cancer. In women it's not so good as women generally have lower levels of iron absorption and need more iron.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That toxin leeching stuff is rubbish though, as I pointed out earlier. Toxins don't get cleaned out by detox or alternative medicine. They're cleaned out by the liver. They can be released through excretion of urine, faeces or sweat. If you don't sweat them out they're still going to leave the body through other methods. They don't building up in the blood unless your liver doesn't work in which case you'd probably be turning yellow from Jaundice.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score

red blood cells live on average 100-120 days...your bones will continually replace them. Spleen filters out the dead cells. You don't 'need' to give blood to be healthy

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
When it comes to toxins you just have to think about the effects toxins have on the mind. Toxins alter the mental state and effect the body leading to different pronounced effects. They get in there, do their damage, then are cleaned out by the liver. If the liver fails its function then the toxins never stop doing damage.

The most common toxin in every day life is alcohol. If toxins built up in the body then those beers you drank a few weeks ago would still have you intoxicated today.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
When it comes to toxins you just have to think about the effects toxins have on the mind. Toxins alter the mental state and effect the body leading to different pronounced effects. They get in there, do their damage, then are cleaned out by the liver. If the liver fails its function then the toxins never stop doing damage.

The most common toxin in every day life is alcohol. If toxins built up in the body then those beers you drank a few weeks ago would still have you intoxicated today.
How about the heavy metals that build up like mercury, lead and aluminium? Does the liver clean them out too?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
how about ejaculation of semen?
That stuff is pure protein and vitamins. Great for building up the immune system and making you immortal.

At least, that's what the ladies think...

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
red blood cells live on average 100-120 days...your bones will continually replace them. Spleen filters out the dead cells. You don't 'need' to give blood to be healthy

once you draw/lose a litre of blood every 30 days , it is making your body produce new blood.

bit like changing the engine oil for the car every month instead of every 3 months . It is only going to help the engine keeping fresh healthy oil at all times, even tough you know there was still some life left in that oil to go another 1-2 months.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
How about the heavy metals that build up like mercury, lead and aluminium? Does the liver clean them out too?
Depends on the type of metals. The body generally releases metals like it releases most things. Through sweat, respiration and excretion. Heavy metals only have a real effect if they reach toxicity levels in which case they do some real damage. Mercury for example becomes toxic when you have around 1 gram in the body. At this stage you get mercury poisoning which can be lethal at the extreme, and at the minimum it can lead to health problems. Pretty noticeable symptoms though.

There's only a few manual ways of removing mercury from the system. All of them are expensive and dangerous and are only recommended if mercury poisoning is confirmed and could cause a major problem (major neurological damage)

Generally mercury slowly works its way out of your system over a few weeks. People are continuously exposed to mercury through air, food, water and other items. If you get too much mercury exposure the mercury builds up in your kidneys and brain where it will tend to stay for a long period of time (it'll leave eventually). This is the main course of mercury poisoning and is why they advise that you don't over expose yourself to levels of mercury. But unless you're working in an area with heavy mercury leakage then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
* Magnesium and Potassium for my heart
* Centrum for vitamins I miss from not eating
* Caltrate with Vitamin D for my bones and muscles

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
I've never donated blood in my life, they won't take it either as I lived in England during mad cow disease lol. In all my blood tests over the last few years - perfect levels of everything...except CK levels but that's because I work out a lot lol

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Depends on the type of metals. The body generally releases metals like it releases most things. Through sweat, respiration and excretion. Heavy metals only have a real effect if they reach toxicity levels in which case they do some real damage. Mercury for example becomes toxic when you have around 1 gram in the body. At this stage you get mercury poisoning which can be lethal at the extreme, and at the minimum it can lead to health problems. Pretty noticeable symptoms though.

There's only a few manual ways of removing mercury from the system. All of them are expensive and dangerous and are only recommended if mercury poisoning is confirmed and could cause a major problem (major neurological damage)

Generally mercury slowly works its way out of your system over a few weeks. People are continuously exposed to mercury through air, food, water and other items. If you get too much mercury exposure the mercury builds up in your kidneys and brain where it will tend to stay for a long period of time (it'll leave eventually). This is the main course of mercury poisoning and is why they advise that you don't over expose yourself to levels of mercury. But unless you're working in an area with heavy mercury leakage then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

you are recommended a certain amount of intake of mercury (for example not more than 200 gm/week of tuna for a person weighing 80 kg).

small amount of mercury passes out through the body, if you start taking taking higher mercury, that is where you get problems in long run

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've never donated blood in my life, they won't take it either as I lived in England during mad cow disease lol. In all my blood tests over the last few years - perfect levels of everything...except CK levels but that's because I work out a lot lol

My friend has an abnormal level of iron in the blood, he needs to donate/ get rid of blood on monthly basis or he starts getting health issues.

His blood is useless to everyone, only the plasma can be extracted from it. so basically every month he just has to remove blood from his body..

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't take that, Captain Kickass..

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
once you draw/lose a litre of blood every 30 days , it is making your body produce new blood.

bit like changing the engine oil for the car every month instead of every 3 months . It is only going to help the engine keeping fresh healthy oil at all times, even tough you know there was still some life left in that oil to go another 1-2 months.
Not exactly. Red blood cells have a life of around 4 months. Everything else in blood has a shorter life span. Your blood continuously breaks down and refreshes. The area where you get problems isn't when you build up compounds in the blood, it's when you build up compounds in the organs that the issue arises. Like fatty deposits that take place in your heart and arteries. If you donate blood you're not speeding up the process which is why they suggest that you only donate blood once every few months.

The only known benefits from donating blood is that you lower your iron levels if you're high in iron, and you lose a few calories (less than a cheeseburger worth)

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No one wants too much CK. We have enough CK here already.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not exactly. Red blood cells have a life of around 4 months. Everything else in blood has a shorter life span. Your blood continuously breaks down and refreshes. The area where you get problems isn't when you build up compounds in the blood, it's when you build up compounds in the organs that the issue arises. Like fatty deposits that take place in your heart and arteries. If you donate blood you're not speeding up the process which is why they suggest that you only donate blood once every few months.

The only known benefits from donating blood is that you lower your iron levels if you're high in iron, and you lose a few calories (less than a cheeseburger worth)

it is funny you mention the rate of blood cells breaking down and formation of new cells.

the rate of the process can be increased if you are subject to radiation.

When i was working at lucas heights , i used to feel dead tired after an 8 hours shift where i am sitting on my ass all day doing nothing. the exposure to radiation was accelerating the process hence the body felt tired even though you are not doing any physical work at all.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
you are recommended a certain amount of intake of mercury (for example not more than 200 gm/week of tuna for a person weighing 80 kg).

small amount of mercury passes out through the body, if you start taking taking higher mercury, that is where you get problems in long run
Definitely. There's nothing wrong with eating fish. The recommendation of 200 gm/week of tuna is technically for pregnant women (mercury poising prevents a developing child from a proper brain)

It's hard to get mercury poisoning but I still wouldn't eat too much tuna though, especially if you don't know about the environmental levels in your area.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
it is funny you mention the rate of blood cells breaking down and formation of new cells.

the rate of the process can be increased if you are subject to radiation.

When i was working at lucas heights , i used to feel dead tired after an 8 hours shift where i am sitting on my ass all day doing nothing. the exposure to radiation was accelerating the process hence the body felt tired even though you are not doing any physical work at all.
Yep. Radiation can take it out of you, literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.