Van drives into crowd in Toronto, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-...wd-of-pedestrians-multiple-fatalities/9690332

At least 9 dead, 16 injured after van hits crowd in Toronto

Key points:
  • Van fled scene before driver later arrested
  • Witness says people "strewn all over road"
  • Cabinet ministers from G7 countries currently meeting in Toronto
Canadian police say nine people are dead and 16 are injured after a van mounted the kerb and hit a crowd of pedestrians in Toronto.

The vehicle hit pedestrians at high speed at a busy intersection in the north of the city as large crowds of office workers were on lunch breaks.

At least one witness described the driver as appearing to deliberately target victims as he drove for roughly 2 kilometres.

The driver has been taken into custody.

Video appeared to show the suspected driver pointing a gun at police before being handcuffed.

Canadian Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said it was too soon for the Government to determine if the incident was a deliberate act.

A witness told Canadian Press that he saw police arresting a man who had been driving a Ryder rental truck and saw people "strewn all over the road" where the incident occurred.

At least seven people were brought to nearby Sunnybrook Health Services Centre's trauma centre.

Five were in a critical condition and two had serious injuries.

Toronto's transit agency said it had suspended service on the subway line running through the area.

The incident happened about 30 kilometres from downtown, where cabinet ministers from the G7 countries are gathering to discuss a range of international issues in the run-up to the G7 meeting near Quebec City in June.

There was no noticeable change in security around the Intercontinental Hotel where the ministers gathered.

Toronto Mayor John Tory said his thoughts and prayers were with the first responders and friends and families of the victims.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he is still being briefed on the incident.

More to come.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The link in the original post has a video of a shootout between police and the guy. Scary stuff. Amazing they didn't kill him.

As a side note... how FUCKING stupid are people video recording this stuff on their phone. The guy is standing their with a gun yet all that person cared about was recording it FFS.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The link in the original post has a video of a shootout between police and the guy. Scary stuff. Amazing they didn't kill him.

As a side note... how FUCKING stupid are people video recording this stuff on their phone. The guy is standing their with a gun yet all that person cared about was recording it FFS.
It’s the age we live in. Most people’s first thought now if someone is in trouble is to pull out their phone.

Wahesh

Reaction score
It’s the age we live in. Most people’s first thought now if someone is in trouble is to pull out their phone.
Sadly, yes. This action though one day will cost someone their life.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

What did you want them to do? All rush the guy with the gun or something?

Recording it also means that the cops now have access to more evidence, and that the public around the world can see what happened.

Wahesh

Reaction score
What did you want them to do? All rush the guy with the gun or something?

Recording it also means that the cops now have access to more evidence, and that the public around the world can see what happened.
What's more important, evidence, or the life of the person recording it?

As for evidence, hundreds of people saw the whole thing. It happened during lunchtime in the city. What about the bodies of the people who died? Or the many more injured? There's evidence enough.

Wahesh

Reaction score
My goodness, talk about awkward. This Canadian girl I work with just walked in and I just asked her how she was feeling. She had no idea what I was talking about. I had to be the bearer of the bad news to her :(

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What's more important, evidence, or the life of the person recording it?

As for evidence, hundreds of people saw the whole thing. It happened during lunchtime in the city. What about the bodies of the people who died? Or the many more injured? There's evidence enough.
I would probably put the people who took the footage somewhere in the crazy/brave/stupid pyramid. Would I have done it? I seriously doubt it - i'd be running the other way fearing for my life. But I also don' think i've ever used the video function on my phone, so I doubt I'd be able to work that shit out at such a time.

If you are taking selfies with dead bodies or something, or getting in the way of emergency response, or an police investigation, that's obviously fucked up, but that;s not what's iv;e seen of the footage so far.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Remember that people react differently in such scenarios. This is the fight vs flight response in full action. Adrenaline levels through the roof, and first thought generally is survival.

The phone is probably peoples first go to because they'll grab it and text/call friends/family stating they may not make it out alive.

Of course once they have phone, they'll record it. They may feel that is all they can do in such a scenario.

SIDE NOTE: If the thread slides into conspiracy theories, terrorism/religion it will be closed and removed.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Let's not kid ourselves with the phone business.
The reason why people will pull out their phones and start recording before actually doing some to help is because most humans are weak minded pussies!

Wahesh

Reaction score
This generation are turning out to be a bunch of shallow, lazy, attention-seeking pricks. People have been hit by a car, are lying injured or even worse on the footpath, need help, and all they do is get their phone out to record it. FMFD.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This generation are turning out to be a bunch of shallow, lazy, attention-seeking pricks. People have been hit by a car, are lying injured or even worse on the footpath, need help, and all they do is get their phone out to record it. FMFD.
Funny how you don't once condemn what this guy did but just blabber on about people using mobile phones. Anyone commenting with all their hero talk they would do this and do that, unless you have witnessed something like you don't know what you would do.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Funny how you don't once condemn what this guy did but just blabber on about people using mobile phones. Anyone commenting with all their hero talk they would do this and do that, unless you have witnessed something like you don't know what you would do.
How rude of me.

THE GUTLESS COWARD SHOULD GET HIS LEGS AMPUTATED AND THROWN INTO A WELL FULL OF HUNGRY PIRANHAS WHILE HIS AMPUTATED LEGS ARE STILL BLEEDING!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
On a more serious issue are we going to talk about banning cars like the way lefties want to have guns banned?
I mean not only go guns kill people but cars are known to kill just as many people.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah but sometimes help is a hinderance.

For example: Someone has a major crash and people decide to help. They decide to move the person with the best of intentions, not realising the person has spinal and other internal injuries.

The person ends up in a wheelchair for life, because those that "helped" ended up damaging their neck in the process.

Wahesh

Reaction score
On a more serious issue are we going to talk about banning cars like the way lefties want to have guns banned?
I mean not only go guns kill people but cars are known to kill just as many people.
Don't be surprised. Nothing those idiots think of surprises me anymore.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yeah but sometimes help is a hinderance.

For example: Someone has a major crash and people decide to help. They decide to move the person with the best of intentions, not realising the person has spinal and other internal injuries.

The person ends up in a wheelchair for life, because those that "helped" ended up damaging their neck in the process.
I understand, but usually if there are injured people, they'll tell you not to touch a certain area. I get what you're saying though.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Stop with your this generation nonsense Gramps. :P Do you think oglers are unique to this generation? People have been gathering at accident sites looking to get a glimpse of the carnage since time immemorial. Silly to try and turn this into a my generation is better than your generation thing.

In some ways people are more detached and damaged these days....in others, they are much more caring and compassionate. Enough of this life was better when most Australians didn't have equal rights shit :P

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Stop with your this generation nonsense Gramps. :P Do you think oglers are unique to this generation? People have been gathering at accident sites looking to get a glimpse of the carnage since time immemorial. Silly to try and turn this into a my generation is better than your generation thing.

In some ways people are more detached and damaged these days....in others, they are much more caring and compassionate. Enough of this life was better when most Australians didn't have equal rights shit :P
I remember as a kid when Ben Alexander died in that car accident at Colyton.
The word spread like wildfire and pretty much everyone in the area got in their cars and went passed to check it out to see if it was true or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.