Value for money

Is Latrell Mitchell an astute and sound investment at $10m over 10 years?

• Yes

Votes: 47 44.8%
  • No

Votes: 58 55.2%

• Total voters

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No player should be put on a top dollar ten year deal. It's not a reflection on the quality Mitchell has displayed so far. He's definitely been good since debuting. But he made his debut very young. Ten more years in the top grade can take a heavy toll.

Aside from the idea that he might not last ten years physically. Getting a guaranteed million per year can really make a person rest on their laurels. Mitchell has gotten a long way in the game already. There's no guarantee that he'll put in the work to stay at the elite level. Look at guys like Mbye, Sandow, Williams etc. So many players get their payday and just get lazy.

I'd love to have him at the club, but the risk of a ten year deal worth that kind of money is huge.
Yeah I agree, except that latrell is in a different stratosphere to the other players you mentioned. A lazy latrell effort can still bag you a couple of tries and most likely the win.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
IF our club is smart: 3 Year $3 million deal, with 2 year club option at $1.25 million.

So if he plays well and we are happy, he scores another $250k for 4th and 5th years. Then in the 3rd or 4th year you extend him again with a secondary club option at higher pay rate (coinciding with salary cap).

You don't offer a player 5 years or more straight up. Just results in them becomming complacent and lazy.

In an ideal world I'd like to see the NRL block anything more than 1-2 year deals. Keep the player market moving fast and players available.
The long term contracts seem to be working out OK for Manly/Cherry Evans, Cowboys/Taumalolo plus Melbourne/Slater, Smith, Cronk had extendable deals etc. I didn’t/don’t see them becoming lazy.

Making players move every 1/2 years is horrid for them and their family. Takes time to buy a house, set up a mortgage, get the kids established in in a school, build up a network of friends and family for support and then bingo, sorry no more Shire, you’re off to Toonsville. I’m sure the players wouldn’t be very happy with moving their family around every 2 years. Players on big$ would be able to afford it (moving a family isn’t cheap) but it could easily break the guys on below average contracts. Of course they don’t have to move, they can just suck it up, cop less money and stay. That’s if they actually get offered a contract, didn’t have the club buy a “superstar” above them or get squeezed out for any number of reasons.

A life time rolling contract with performance clauses works for some, but not for others where a 1 Year contract is required to motivate them. I can’t see the logic for grouping all players with the same length contract. It’s also a bit of a turn off for the fans, as if it isn’t bad enough already with their favourite players jumping ship, it would just be worse knowing that in less than 2 years they may not even be there.

Go Dogs

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Rubbish ...he is the best player in the game at 21.....he destroys teams in his own and kicks goals...he will be the one surpassing Cameron smith for most number of points down the track....ponga is nowhere near latrells ability ...he hasn't got the strength
No one is going to be able to touch Jarrod Crocker.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/jarrod-croker/summary.html

You'd think at 28 he has a fair few years left, and is already on 1892 points. And gets over 150 a season. So in 4 seasons time will be on track to be on par with smith. And he would only be 32.

Cam Smith is on 2488.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a massive gamble. But the guy is 22 and capable of being the best centre in the game. I'd be ok with this supposed offer, I just hope he doesn't get injured a lot if it happens.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Question for a question..

Would U offer a 21 yr old Greg Inglis the same contract?

I'd say lm is better.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im assuming the stories in the paper about Latrell turning his back on NSW are bullshit...however if they ARE true, how the hell would he cope with #payout's selection nightmares?

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For $1m you can have 2 strike centres

i.e - Manu & Xerri

2 strike centres are better than 1

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
The game probably wont even be around then let alone a player. Lol

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't buy the whole mentally weak bs from the media. The guy had an ordinary game in Origin and suddenly he is mentally weak..... did he go off the rails and start drinking?

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price is fine, tenure is dangerous.
There's pros and cons of a ten year contract but you need a very stable player/personality to offer those sort of terms to.
Its all speculation at the moment, but I would definitely be leaning towards a 5 year contract with appropriate clauses around performance and behavior.
Of course a clause that keeps him out of the halves is also needed.

rand0m3r

Since 1994
Reaction score
Latrell is a bit of a grub, he'll add a bit of mongrel but i'm not sure he fits into the culture. Too inconsistent for $1M a year, and also in a position where he can go missing. I'd rather we adopt a more Moneyball style of recruiting and spread the cap across the park.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
problem is, for us to now attract a player like him, we cant offer a "normal deal"... we have to go above, either in the amount or something else like the term...he is easily a 1m player, hence i think the need to do a freaky term...!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
For $1m you can have 2 strike centres
i.e - Manu & Xerri
2 strike centres are better than 1
Without debating whether Manu and Xerri are equivalent to Mitchell, I think you are drastically undervaluing what a true strike centre is worth or, more to the point, actually gets paid.
I have absolutely no doubt that at $1m a season that Mitchell would "pay for himself", in that he would attract sponsors (cap and TPA's) for the whole team plus bums on seats to more than that value.

Go Dogs

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He is worth every cent. But I voted no purely on the 10yrs. He isn't a driven career player to me. I find him mentally a little fragile .
which 21 year old thrust into the spotlight like him isnt mentally immature... with the right support structures etc his downs will become ups... look at inglis even at the later stage of his career... my fear is that as a rooster, the nrl/media paint him as a pinup... as a bulldog, rhey will crucify him at the first chance they get.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Im assuming the stories in the paper about Latrell turning his back on NSW are bullshit...however if they ARE true, how the hell would he cope with #payout's selection nightmares?
funny how slightly negative press comes out as soon as he is linked to the dogs. de ja vu on the leaked napa video...

Smirrors

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Length of contract is the issue. Taumalolo and DCE were the others who had 10 year contracts but they were both long established stars and played in important positions for their clubs. They both also happen to be very stable individuals, true professionals of the game.

Latrell is 22 turning 23 next year. In 2021 he will be 24. Give him a 5 year contract with good money. He will be 29 by the time he's done and could comfortably sign 3/4 year contract for good money if he's anything like Inglis.

I personally wouldn't want the club beholden to a 1 million dollar man with apparent mental health issues.

Smirrors

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Rubbish ...he is the best player in the game at 21.....he destroys teams in his own and kicks goals...he will be the one surpassing Cameron smith for most number of points down the track....ponga is nowhere near latrells ability ...he hasn't got the strength
Jarrod Croker would beg to differ. If anyone gets close it will be him IMO