No Source Valentine Holmes

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With his NFL flirtation likely over for the time being, he'll hit the open market soon and be eligible for the 2020 season. He'd likely command 700k or so and he'd have to be at fullback to deserve that kind of money...

Seeing as we've missed out on Api, Ramien etc and still have money to spend, what are your thoughts about going after Holmes? We could move DWZ to the centres or wing and alternate he and Holmes at fullback throughout the game.

Or he could always somehow end up at Brisbane, Cronulla, the Roosters and the usual cartel clubs..

I'd probably rather Papenhuyzen long term but I certainly wouldn't complain if we nabbed Val.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I love DWZ at the back but I'd move him to centre if we can get Holmes..

1. Holmes
2. Meaney
3. DWZ
4. Hopoate
5. Smith

I'd take that.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look at what happened to Hoppa when he had time away from league as well as Hayne. They don’t come back as the same player. I know Hayne completely changed his body shape to play NFL and I assume Holmes would have done something similar. You’d want to do some homework before offering Holmes big bucks.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Look at what happened to Hoppa when he had time away from league as well as Hayne. They don’t come back as the same player. I know Hayne completely changed his body shape to play NFL and I assume Holmes would have done something similar. You’d want to do some homework before offering Holmes big bucks.
I agree in principle and said the same thing a few weeks ago about Holmes but it seems he hasn't changed his body shape too much since he left and would have been training harder than ever so he'd be in great shape, probably better shape than before he left the NRL.

Plus he's still only 25 and Hoppa wasn't doing high intensity training while on his mission while Hayne was older and bulked up way more.

Sure there'd be a risk involved but Holmes seems like a pretty professional guy who doesn't take the piss like Hayne did and he'd have the whole offseason to prepare himself for the next NRL season.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree in principle and said the same thing a few weeks ago about Holmes but it seems he hasn't changed his body shape too much since he left and would have been training harder than ever so he'd be in great shape.

Plus he's still only 25 and Hoppa wasn't doing high intensity training while on his mission while Hayne was older and bulked up way more.

Sure there'd be a risk involved but Holmes seems like a pretty professional guy who doesn't take the piss like Hayne in and he'd have the whole offseason to prepare himself for the next NRL season.
Agreed.

Holmes is suited more as a wide receiver and Hayne more of a running back (need explosive power).

Holmes would kill it as a fullback. Problem is DWZ wants fullback. And he’s been playing excellent there. Do we want to create disharmony to a team? That’s the most important question. I’m not saying it will, I’m saying they (coaching staff) have to cover that obstacle before it comes up.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agreed.

Holmes is suited more as a wide receiver and Hayne more of a running back (need explosive power).

Holmes would kill it as a fullback. Problem is DWZ wants fullback. And he’s been playing excellent there. Do we want to create disharmony to a team? That’s the most important question. I’m not saying it will, I’m saying they (coaching staff) have to cover that obstacle before it comes up.
Hayne did well enough in his preseason stint with the Niners, he had his moments but was too much of an upright runner to succeed as an RB.

Holmes would be more of a third down back but I agree, he's more suited as a WR. But trying to learn the intricacies of route running as a 25 year old who hasn't played American football before is a huge ask for anyone.

I don't think these players realise how hard a transition it is but in saying that, just making it as far as both did with no background in the sport is impressive in itself.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Truth is with the money we spend on Holmes we can get latrell,
plus DWZ at fullback and latrell at centre is better than Holmes at fullback and DWZ at centre.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'd pay big money for Holmes pending a medical. Faster, safer and offers a more with the ball in hand than DWZ. His ball playing was also constantly on the improve, not sure where he is with that now though. DWZ could be manufactured into a centre.

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Valentine Holmes has vowed to turn his back on a potential $1 million NRL salary to stay in the US to pursue a career in the NFL — even if he misses out on the final playing squad for his team the New York Jets.

Holmes told News Corp Australia he will not return to the NRL in 2020 if he is selected this weekend in the Jets’ second-string 11-man practice squad, which pays about AU$190,000 a year.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol. He can keep waiting. Wait til week one and the big boys play. He’ll get chewed up and spat out. Pfft..

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
IF we were to take him, I'd play him on the wing were he can score tries for us - about $500,000. DWZ at this stage has been brilliant at FB and has't warranted a positional change. There's nothing to say they can't switch during the game if need be.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
More pipe dreams lol.. one after the other after the other .. we missed out an api.. no way in hell we get a better player. Until SBW joins we are Doomed in the way of player signings, the clubs just not appealing enough at the moment..!!

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only place he we go is North QLD to play with brother in law while also being paid 1 million and job for his wife.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anyone here seriously follow the NFL?, what are his chances of even forging an average career out in the US?

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Holmes isn’t a fullback, he got told that and that’s why he went to the NFL

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Love this. It's as if we can pick and choose and even offer unders lol ;)

"IF we were to take him, I'd play him on the wing were he can score tries for us - about $500,000."

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone here seriously follow the NFL?, what are his chances of even forging an average career out in the US?
Preseason is nothing compared to playing up against seasoned starters and ‘elite’ performers. And I emphasise on ‘Elite’ NFL players. A starting QB wouldn’t trust him at all at WR for starters, amd the defensive backs would eat him up for breakfast. He’ll be back.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And that’s on offense, which he’s not gonna make. Special teams is more where they’d play him but even that, he’ll still struggle against the defensive kick return unit

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Preseason is nothing compared to playing up against seasoned starters and ‘elite’ performers. And I emphasise on ‘Elite’ NFL players. A starting QB wouldn’t trust him at all at WR for starters, amd the defensive backs would eat him up for breakfast. He’ll be back.
I do. I'd say zero chance.
Thanks guys!

Why do players like Hayne and Holmes throw away their best years if the chances of accomplishing anything over there are so slim, surely he would have people in his ear telling him about the challenges?