News Vaccine stance a major sticking point for Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I love him hope he doesn’t leave personally I’m for vaccination but don’t agree with people losing jobs when they aren’t breaking any laws
Agree. Govts have to have the guts to mandate being vaxxed and absolve employers or else leave people alone and step back which means open slather and hard choices for workplaces.

It is placing too much emphasis on the employer to stick their neck out.

Govts have run this Covid campaign in every other way, so should step up and take responsibility for mandates (or no mandates)....they can't keep putting added hassles on employers to run their health campaign.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I always liked Thompson but this is some bottom of the barrel stupidity. If he gets sacked over this I won't feel sorry for him whatsoever. What does he expect to happen though? It isn't like it is just our team that will demand he get vaxxed. Does he just want a different career? What an absolute imbecile.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Big no to brooks. Did u see how they played with him in the last game. Absolutely shit. Thompson can leave our forward pack wont struggle too much if he leaves. Also on overs. Use the money on a hooker maybe try and get korisua, mahoney, b smith then we are easily top 8. Our pack would look like 8. Vaughan 10. TPJ 11. Hetherington 12. RFM/Stimson
13. Jackson

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the NRL will end up making it mandatory.

If he doesn't want to take it his choice but he'll be missing out on whatever he's getting paid with us, like most NRL players probably has no skills and will be lucky to get a job paying $50k.

On Brooks looks like he's given up at the tigers (you could see that in the last game they played), I think it's true that he no longer wants to play under madge. Whether he'll play better elsewhere is a gamble, we've taken a few gambles recently and I'm not sure if we have cap space to take any more. Maybe on a short term deal with options in our favour if it happens. Maybe Bennett takes a punt on him for the new team.

Berries

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
On a slightly different point I wonder what the NRL will do next year when Covid actually spreads through a team when we are fully opened and 95% vaccinated. It was easy this year when they played at Covid 0% locations but eventually that will crumble. There is no way this league can afford to have entire teams sit out or 8-10 players at once like they have in the NHL/NBA/MLB/NFL.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. Govts have to have the guts to mandate being vaxxed and absolve employers or else leave people alone and step back which means open slather and hard choices for workplaces.

It is placing too much emphasis on the employer to stick their neck out.

Govts have run this Covid campaign in every other way, so should step up and take responsibility for mandates (or no mandates)....they can't keep putting added hassles on employers to run their health campaign.
From what I understand the club and the nrl may be able to take action against an unvaxxed player who gets covid. So if Thommo chooses not get vaxxed but then gets covid he could be held liable for any lost revenue . For instance if games had to get delayed or cancelled. I heard this in a podcast a few weeks ago.

This could potentially be hundreds of thousands of dollars. So even though the nrl can’t make you get vaxxed you are taking a massive financial risk if you don’t

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I doubt he will get sacked or moved on because of his refusal to get vaccinated. The NRL will just make life very difficult for him and anyone else that hasn’t got the jab. Anytime they can’t fulfill their contract due to not being vaccinated they will take a big hit and if they get Covid they get a bigger hit. It will be very similar to what the NFL has done. They won’t force anyone to get it but they will make it very hard not to have it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Firstly, Thompson isn’t on $850k in our Cap, that was first year outlay and included transfer fee (not in Cap), relocation expenses from UK (not in Cap) and car (also not in Cap) plus a number of UK flights for family (COVID got in the way of that, but the credit is still there).

Medical exemption not withstanding, no vax means no travelling to games in Qld, Vic and NZ, which could be 6 or 7 games missed. Seems pretty unlikely to me.

That applies to any NRL team, whether they have mandated vax or not, so they would pretty stupid to even entertain it. That said the Tigers front office are pretty stupid.

As for going home to England, unvaxed can’t do that either. Plus there is a chance that the ESL will mandate vax and the individual clubs have that option as well.

Always a Bulldog

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has a few days to decide.

Imagine he refuses. Gets the sack. And we get 850k back into the cap.
He cant be sacked as vaccinations for players have not been made manditory by the NRL

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah we don't want Brooks, I'd prefer to continue playing Averillo

Status
Not open for further replies.