Used Car Experience

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Just wanting to get people's opinions on used cars, particularly ones with higher KMs.

My example is as follows. Currently have a Mazda cx3 with 84,000kms on it. Due to having a new baby on the way early next year we need a bigger car as rear facing child seats don't allow us to fit in front.

Now we have been looking at used Mazda CX9s as they will provide us with the space we need and is a brand we have always had and has been reliable.

The average price of what we have looked at falls around $37-40k with KMs ranging from 60,000 and highest being 95,000 which is the one we inspected today. I was the highest spec model (Azumi) and the missus loves it and thinks we should get it, however I am being cautious.

Financially I set 40k as our limit as I have 10k saved and will be able to get 20k for our CX3, which leaves me with 10k finance which I'm ok with and could pay quick as.

Some people have advised to pay more to get something in that range with less KMs, but I'm in the first year of paying off my home loan and it rather not commit to more than 10k loan/interest.

I've rambled on to long now, be happy to hear some of your experiences and advice.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Check grays online auctions out, there is a huge back log of cars on there due to covid, now they can auction again, you might find one with low kms and 10k less than a car yard. Most car yards buy from auctions then put extra on them.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you save for higher kms you MIGHT pay in maintenance later, but you may not aswell, if you know them to be reliable, and you've done your research on that model, including common problems and costings to fix those problems you shouldn't have to much to worry about when making your informed decision.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
KMs aren't massively crucial, but they are helpful indicator.

You can find a car with 200,000 KMs on it that has been well taken care of that will be better condition than a car with 80,000 KMs that has never been serviced.

My personal stance is:

- never buy a used car from a used car sales lot that's not an official reseller. For example, if you're going to buy a Mazda, buy it from an official dealer that sells new and used Mazdas, and services Mazdas. Every other source has a 99% chance of being dodgy

- with exception of buying it directly off the owner. This is usually a good path as long as they allow you to do a professional inspection

- always do a professional inspection. Even if it's an official re-seller

- only ever buy from an auction if you can carry out a professional inspection before the auction. Meaning that you pay a mechanic to inspect and endorse the vehicle

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kennel resident @Blue_boost is the man to ask
Of course I am the resident authority on all matters used cars, neighbours, Xmas gifts etc.

Used cars are way way overpriced at the moment. If you can hold out please do. It has to do with supply of new cars.

For $40k, not so long ago you could buy a brand new klugar Toyota for $41990 drive away. Brand new

Just hold onto your cx3 for another year or two until new cars availability is restored. If you can’t wait buy an old ford territory or falcon for $10k with 95000km until new cars are available again

$40k for 95000km is not a good idea.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not sure i agree with the above as BB has a soft-on for cars that do more than 5K a year seemingly lol.Used car prices may be up atm i'm unsure on that...Anyway,

Firstly mate it sounds like the auction scenario won't work for you what with having a trade in and also you may not be in the area to do this anyway?
Secondly yes a private buy might be better too you could save a bit of money up to a few grand even but you still have to sell your existing vehicle so again probably not a do-able scenario either.Both options but moreso auction could save you some money most likely but assuming a dealer deal is by far the most suitable way for you to go then the only questions i have are :

What year model is the travelled 95K vehicle KD? and how much were they brand new then? You just need to work out A how much have they depreciated the car and is this within or near guidelines and B is the trade in price for yours fair/near to what you think it's worth as it sounds like you know a fair bit about the brand and like it.
Car dealers have to make a profit obviously depending on the overall value of the deal, in this case it may be around 7-10% they want to net but if your happy with both bearing in mind they need to make money it should be a deal.
I have no issue with a car having done 95000 unless the mileage was maybe accumulated over 2 years or less, i did originally go wow as in the used price sounds a bit exxy but i think Mazda's aren't an especially cheap brand and you will know if it's a fair price i'm sure.

Good luck with what you do, let us know Buddy.

*quick story about the only time i ever was in a Mazda it was one of those turbo MP3's gee it must have been 15 years ago now, a guy named Bob i played golf with a retiree in his early 60's but in good shape owned it.We lined up at the lights to enter the freeway with two lanes merging into 1, a "lout" in a V8 Xr8 or SS can't remember the flavour and old mate sees Bob in the Mazda sure as shit thinks i've got this silvertop covered before the merge into 1 lane point, err NO Bob dumps this thing and in 7 seconds or less we have hosed this ute like it was standing still, i pissed myself laughing :laughing:

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure i agree with the above as BB has a soft-on for cars that do more than 5K a year seemingly lol.Used car prices may be up atm i'm unsure on that...Anyway,

Firstly mate it sounds like the auction scenario won't work for you what with having a trade in and also you may not be in the area to do this anyway?
Secondly yes a private buy might be better too you could save a bit of money up to a few grand even but you still have to sell your existing vehicle so again probably not a do-able scenario either.Both options but moreso auction could save you some money most likely but assuming a dealer deal is by far the most suitable way for you to go then the only questions i have are :

What year model is the travelled 95K vehicle KD? and how much were they brand new then? You just need to work out A how much have they depreciated the car and is this within or near guidelines and B is the trade in price for yours fair/near to what you think it's worth as it sounds like you know a fair bit about the brand and like it.
Car dealers have to make a profit obviously depending on the overall value of the deal, in this case it may be around 7-10% they want to net but if your happy with both bearing in mind they need to make money it should be a deal.
I have no issue with a car having done 95000 unless the mileage was maybe accumulated over 2 years or less, i did originally go wow as in the used price sounds a bit exxy but i think Mazda's aren't an especially cheap brand and you will know if it's a fair price i'm sure.

Good luck with what you do, let us know Buddy.

*quick story about the only time i ever was in a Mazda it was one of those turbo MP3's gee it must have been 15 years ago now, a guy named Bob i played golf with a retiree in his early 60's but in good shape owned it.We lined up at the lights to enter the freeway with two lanes merging into 1, a "lout" in a V8 Xr8 or SS can't remember the flavour and old mate sees Bob in the Mazda sure as shit thinks i've got this silvertop covered before the merge into 1 lane point, err NO Bob dumps this thing and in 7 seconds or less we have hosed this ute like it was standing still, i pissed myself laughing :laughing:
I’m taking care of the kennel members by offering my warning of high mileage cars.. might not be much wrong with a 95000km car but not for $40k. Maybe $20k, $25k tops.

the guy in the ss Ute probably tells the same story but his version is the Mazda mps was left in the lurch whilst he bolted away. V8

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
BB, you don't know what year model not sure how you get a figure of 20/25k tops? PS i checked prices and a 2021 CX 9 Azami model is near enough to 70 grand new(bloody hell)now i surely wouldn't pay that much but their expensive kit Mazda's.
Only guessing but KD's example may be around a 2016 model by the price mentioned some chance 2017... so the km's per year in these instances aren't a worry imo.

Your right the ute guy may have told some porkies and i couldn't see his face really but he was shocked i have no doubt at 1.the pace of the car(unassuming looking from memory)and 2.the silvertop driver who was thrashing it lol

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BB, you don't know what year model not sure how you get a figure of 20/25k tops? PS i checked prices and a 2021 CX 9 Azami model is near enough to 70 grand new(bloody hell)now i surely wouldn't pay that much but their expensive kit Mazda's.
Only guessing but KD's example may be around a 2016 model by the price mentioned some chance 2017... so the km's per year in these instances aren't a worry imo.

Your right the ute guy may have told some porkies and i couldn't see his face really but he was shocked i have no doubt at 1.the pace of the car(unassuming looking from memory)and 2.the silvertop driver who was thrashing it lol
it don’t matter what year or type of car, 95000km is 95000km. A cx9 might be expensive to fix. $40000 buys you a new car, buy one in that price bracket that is new, near new.

if your budget is $40000, plenty of good cars. Find a new klugar or maybe one with under 20000km

I’ve seen a Porsche ceyenne turbo for $19990. But 135000km.. 331kw monster and over $220,000 new. BUT…. If the gearbox or engine gives up? Maybe no change out of $50,000 for repairs Brakes need changing? $6000? It’s fools gold, buy a ford territory if you want to spend $20k

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
it don’t matter what year or type of car, 95000km is 95000km. A cx9 might be expensive to fix. $40000 buys you a new car, buy one in that price bracket that is new, near new.

if your budget is $40000, plenty of good cars. Find a new klugar or maybe one with under 20000km

I’ve seen a Porsche ceyenne turbo for $19990. But 135000km.. 331kw monster and over $220,000 new. BUT…. If the gearbox or engine gives up? Maybe no change out of $50,000 for repairs Brakes need changing? $6000? It’s fools gold, buy a ford territory if you want to spend $20k
There you go KD @Blue says fuck your mazda's buy a 2nd hand Ford Territory and break even no debt lol OR buy a "cheapy" new vehicle of similar size/setup for near to 40K that will likely depreciate like a bitch year after year(and thats after the 4 or 5K it drops as your drive out the gate).

idk KD maybe your iffy on spending 40K for a 4/5 year old car? (this is my query i suppose) or is it the K's travelled not sure which, if its within limits per year or near to it i have no worry with the km's at all.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I worked with Mazda for a long time. Those cx9s are pretty rock solid mate. Get a repurchase inspection by a mechanic of your choosing and make sure the service history is by the book and you'll be sweet

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There you go KD @Blue says fuck your mazda's buy a 2nd hand Ford Territory and break even no debt lol OR buy a "cheapy" new vehicle of similar size/setup for near to 40K that will likely depreciate like a bitch year after year(and thats after the 4 or 5K it drops as your drive out the gate).

idk KD maybe your iffy on spending 40K for a 4/5 year old car? (this is my query i suppose) or is it the K's travelled not sure which, if its within limits per year or near to it i have no worry with the km's at all.
What is this ridiculous km per year argument. 95000km is 95000km no matter if it’s done over 2 years or 20 years.

Would you rather a 20 year old car with 300,000km with only 15000 per year

or

a 2 year old car with 50,000km / 25000 per year..

Of course you choose the 50,000km car, 300,000km will kill a car no matter if it’s over 5 years or 50 years

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the ford territory, petrol version with 95,000km if you must , but pay only $12,500 for it, be better than spending $40000 for a 95000km cx9 car and get the same problems (or worse)

Last edited:

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you wanna spend $40k get a new car, some palooka above said it will depreciate quick and that’s true but at least you have a 5 year warranty and won’t have to fix the old bomb car every week with 95000km and wipe up the oil leaks every morning g
Plus you spent $40k to buy in

Last edited:

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blue_boost to the rescue, I’ll get you a late model ford territory 7 seater with 70,000km, petrol model and I’ll deliver it on your doorstep with a big bow on it for under $25k.

it will have more power, be more fuel efficient and more spacious than the cx9 and you will have $15k in your pocket

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Said what I have to say at least i gave an open minded view rather than your "I have a very low km vehicle so 95000km is a lot, I know boats" dribble. :laughing: