News US policing Controversy

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Guys. Guys. Come on. You're as bad as each other...

Wen - you have a lot of support here for what has been transpiring over the past few weeks. But just a friendly tip - you're just opening yourself up here, and that will just cause that goodwill to wear thin.

You should both really let it go TBH.
Thought this had all blown over but again we're here. Common denominator is ...

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I couldn't care less in saying it. It feels much like saying all politicians are corrupt. Sure there are some amazing US police who do nothing wrong. But when there's such a long and consistent problem for so many years it becomes a systemic issue. There's too many power hungry pigs who think they are above citizens because they've got a badge. Whom most have grown into higher positions within this system over decades. I genuinely feel sorry for the large ammount of people who live in justified fear of their own police in the US
From my side I'm not sure if it's as simple as saying it's a policing problem though clearly there are issues there!

The issue really is gun control and the amount of guns in the US. On the one side it makes cops trigger happy and on the other side it makes every suspect a potential target. It's gotta play on the mind of the cops.

What I really love about Aussie cops is that they don't revert to shoot first, ask questions later approaches. Remember when there was a guy trying to stab people in central Sydney ... from memory? The cops did everything in their power to try and contain him without shooting. If that had happened in the US he'd have been shot immediately.

Now ... what's the connection to this old lady? I just think the culture within the police department in the US has gotten to much to the "it's US vs THEM" that every person is a target and that they've got every right to use whatever force necessary to end it. Take guns out of the equation and I think a lof of these instances don't occur

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
From my side I'm not sure if it's as simple as saying it's a policing problem though clearly there are issues there!

The issue really is gun control and the amount of guns in the US. On the one side it makes cops trigger happy and on the other side it makes every suspect a potential target. It's gotta play on the mind of the cops.

What I really love about Aussie cops is that they don't revert to shoot first, ask questions later approaches. Remember when there was a guy trying to stab people in central Sydney ... from memory? The cops did everything in their power to try and contain him without shooting. If that had happened in the US he'd have been shot immediately.

Now ... what's the connection to this old lady? I just think the culture within the police department in the US has gotten to much to the "it's US vs THEM" that every person is a target and that they've got every right to use whatever force necessary to end it. Take guns out of the equation and I think a lof of these instances don't occur
She pulled a gun on them?

Mike Fixa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

There’s a good case to be made for the legal ownership of guns. Particularly for women. Guns are probably the greatest equaliser of men and women. I guarantee you no man will rape a woman with a gun.

Biologically men have a huge strength advantage over women, so if a man has evil intentions, an unarmed women has no chance of defending herself.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There’s a good case to be made for the legal ownership of guns. Particularly for women. Guns are probably the greatest equaliser of men and women. I guarantee you no man will rape a woman with a gun.

Biologically men have a huge strength advantage over women, so if a man has evil intentions, an unarmed women has no chance of defending herself.
This is your 'good case' for having legal ownership of guns? Fair enough.

Guess we could argue that the cases of abuse in the US are still very high even with legal ownership of guns?

I think the biggest preventor of abuse amongst women is not empowering them more, but teaching men to stop being ***** and to start respecting the opposite sex.

Mike Fixa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Guess we could argue that the cases of abuse in the US are still very high even with legal ownership of guns?

I think the biggest preventor of abuse amongst women is not empowering them more, but teaching men to stop being ***** and to start respecting the opposite sex.
Dunno mate. ‘Men’ have known rape has been wrong for a long time, doesn’t stop it from happening.

‘Teaching’ rape is wrong does nothing because anyone who is going to rape will do it anyway and the people who won’t do it, won’t take any value from being told ‘not to rape’, which they already agree with.

Im not saying we should implement gun ownership here, I’m just saying there’s an interesting discussion to be had when you consider that the most vulnerable ppl in society (women), are the ones who would stand to gain the most if guns were legal

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dunno mate. ‘Men’ have known rape has been wrong for a long time, doesn’t stop it from happening.

‘Teaching’ rape is wrong does nothing because anyone who is going to rape will do it anyway and the people who won’t do it, won’t take any value from being told ‘not to rape’, which they already agree with.

Im not saying we should implement gun ownership here, I’m just saying there’s an interesting discussion to be had when you consider that the most vulnerable ppl in society (women), are the ones who would stand to gain the most if guns were legal
Then we're not teaching it in the right way. We can't keep thinking the best way to stop rape is to teach women to better defend themselves. We've gotta change the source of the problem, that's men.

As for women standing to gain the most if guns were legal ... as I said, I'm not sure that's the case in the US where guns are legal. Is it?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

You can’t ban guns in the USA.
When you look into it deeper it’s genuinely impossible

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Then we're not teaching it in the right way. We can't keep thinking the best way to stop rape is to teach women to better defend themselves. We've gotta change the source of the problem, that's men.

As for women standing to gain the most if guns were legal ... as I said, I'm not sure that's the case in the US where guns are legal. Is it?
Everyone, apart from some Afghans in the desert, already know that rape is wrong. But people still go ahead and take just as they always have. It’s human nature and goes back to ancient history. First thing any invader would do is start raping the locals. Seen it Across the world with no common denominator.
Most recently isis.
I’m not ssying everyone is a rapist of course but there’s a small percentage that do it that’s been consistent in human history. We have never had a rape free period in history. Same goes for murder and theft.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Wendog33 does have a ‘Lydia from Breaking Bad’ vibe.

Mike Fixa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

What do you suggest is a better way to teach men not to rape? I personally don’t believe that teaching anyone about rape will stop a single rape from happening. Everyone grows up (at least in Australia) knowing full well that rape isn’t ok. Same with murder, white collar crime, and any number of violent crimes.

All sorts of Crimes happen despite each criminal knowing it’s wrong.

Ill be the biggest supporter of anyone who has a good practical plan that will reduce the number of rapes - I just don’t believe ‘teaching’ is going to make a difference.

Never looked into gun laws versus rape rates but it would seem common sense to me that a potential rapist is not going to target a woman with a gun in her home or on her waist

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What do you suggest is a better way to teach men not to rape? I personally don’t believe that teaching anyone about rape will stop a single rape from happening. Everyone grows up (at least in Australia) knowing full well that rape isn’t ok. Same with murder, white collar crime, and any number of violent crimes.

Ill be the biggest supporter of anyone who has a good practical plan that will reduce the number of rapes - I just don’t believe ‘teaching’ is going to make a difference.

Never looked into gun laws versus rape rates but it would seem common sense to me that a potential rapist is not going to target a woman with a gun in her home or on her waist
It's starting young and teaching values which clearly aren't being taught.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Women are crazy. Why would you arm them up. That’ll be the end of all of us.....

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
In America, there’s actually more women that own guns than men