Status
Not open for further replies.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Watch the incident

Cowboys and Queensland halfback Johnathan Thurston could miss the Harvey Norman State of Origin decider in Brisbane on July 6 after he was today charged by the NRL’s Match Review Committee with Grade 2 contrary conduct for contact with a referee.

Thurston made contact with referee Matt Cecchin in the 23rd minute of the Cowboys' win over the Warriors on Saturday.

The influential halfback is facing two weeks on the sidelines, even with an early guilty plea.

The charge follows amendments to contrary conduct rules implemented at the start of the season where either Careless, Reckless or Intentional contact with a Match Official can be charged as Contrary Conduct.

Under the rule, “It’s the responsibility of the player to avoid contact with match officials at all times during a match”.

In the event that the Cowboys challenge either the grading or the charge, a judiciary hearing will be held on Wednesday night at NRL Headquarters in Moore Park.

If Thurston pleads not guilty and is successful at the judiciary, he will be free to play in the Cowboys’ Round 16 clash against the Panthers at Penrith on Sunday.

A guilty verdict would rule him out of that game as well as State of Origin.

Thurston also has the option to challenge the grading and, if successful at the judiciary, he would miss the Cowboys’ match against Penrith but would be free to take his place against NSW.

Thurston and the Cowboys will have until midday tomorrow to notify the NRL of their decision.

Fellow Cowboy Tariq Sims is also facing a week on the sidelines after he was charged with Grade 2 Dangerous Contact on Warriors' Krisnan Inu.

Sims would miss a week with the early guity plea or two weeks if he challenges the charge and loses at the judiciary.

Melbourne's Sika Manu will avoid suspension with an early plea after he was charged with Grade 1 Dangerous Contact on Wests Tigers Gareth Ellis.

Source

As much as I'd love to see Thurston miss out on game 3, this seems like such a nothing incident.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Hear that ?

That's the incoming sound of 100,000 butthurt Qld'ers screaming "murder" because Uate got off !

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hear that ?

That's the incoming sound of 100,000 butthurt Qld'ers screaming "murder" because Uate got off !
Hahahahaha. Go check facebook! The inbred sister/wife/aunty/cousin/daughter loving rednecks are already blowing up claiming a NSW conspiracy.

Fcking hicks.

P

Paint.

Can't see, I am at work =[

Fill me in?
When Maloney hit a gap 20m out to score his try, Thurston ran into the back of the ref and they both fell to the floor. Looked deliberate imo, he had a lot of space around the ref but ran right at him

Evil Monkey

Abministrator
Reaction score
Nothing in it. He'll play.

Last edited by a moderator:

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't see, I am at work =[

Fill me in?
Basically Warriors are on the attack, and Thurston is jogging towards his line and runs into the back of the ref, knocking him down. He had plenty of time to move (which might be the big factor in all this, not sure). But from first read I was under the impression he actually shoved the ref in anger or something.

Munnuz 1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha suck crap Thurston. Definatley deliberate imo. If he is to miss Origin 3 would this give Barba a chance at a bench spot coz obviously Cronk would move from the bench to halfback?

TJW

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
the ref was running backwards and thurston was looking at the guy with the ball and wasnt big contact, im a huge blues fan and hoping he misses out but there is nothing in it

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
He'll get off. Nothing in it. Plus I want him playing so when the Blues win there are no excuses from qld

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeh right. So deliberate wasn't it? Nothing in it you wishful cockroaches. :grinning:

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
FFS the ref was pissin himself laughing at the situation ... Even when the cowboys were back at half way to kick off !!

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
No way he should be suspended for that, a lot of similar incidents this year with not even a charge.
If he misses 2-3 weeks then that is absolute bull****.

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
No way he should be suspended for that, a lot of similar incidents this year with not even a charge.
If he misses 2-3 weeks then that is absolute bull****.
Similar incidents? Really now?

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
lol to the max. Shouldnt have even been charged. Would be disgraceful if he got any suspension for that rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.