Upcoming Australian election thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm optimistic. I hope the media cease their shenanigans and give them a chance and if they stuff up well the Australian people will get rid of them easily.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can someone explain why more then 300,000 more people voted for liberal over labor yet have 20 less seats ?

Says a lot about our political system.
The ALP played this election incredibly strategically. Where they weren't going to win liberal voters they encouraged labour voters in these seats to vote teal or green and allocated their preferences that way. I assume that it was quid pro quo much like the lib/Mats have done for years with the UAP and one nation. But in this instance it wasn't just racist nutters or fools who think Palmer might actually represent them. So in short it was a very strategic campaign and it's served them very well.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Labor lost the unlosable election last time because they strayed too far to the left, the liberals lost this election because they strayed too far to the right, and also Scomo was on the nose with the electorate.
Both parties must realize that Australians want a centerest government and nothing else.
You've got to be joking? Anyone that bothers to research the science of so called anthropogenic climate change can see that the modelling and predictions don't conform with the observed facts, and so is little more than a leftist cult.
Secondly, critical race theory of bashing anyone not black, and making kids feel guilty for being white and denouncing anyone that doesn't agree as a white supremacist, is taking over our institutions. Then there's gender wars.
Recently beaurocrats standing before senate committees couldn't define what a woman was...it's complicated they said. So too is it not compassionate to let boys compete against girls in sports if the boys decide they feel like becoming a female.
Then during covid the states imposed ridiculous lockdowns.
The PM's response to all this?.....Lets agree on net zero emissions by 2050. WTF
And, I don't enter into social media debates as I'm not woke.
And, any lockdowns are state matters. Any freedoms destroyed are state matters. Any vaccine mandates imposed are state concerns. WTF.
The liberals lost the election because they were mirroring labor, or had no opinion on these matters, so in deserting their base conservatives, their base deserted them.
The only way back is for the Liberals to stand as an alternative to the lefty lunacy, to move to the right, not moving further to the left.
You don't win an argument by agreeing with your opponent. You win by pointing out how ridiculous, how infantile, how petty, how unscientific your opponent is. The Liberals lost because they weren't brave enough to stand for something.
If you fail to stand for something, you fall for anything.
This election allows the Liberal party to reset its compass on supporting and championing conservative values.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The ALP played this election incredibly strategically. Where they weren't going to win liberal voters they encouraged labour voters in these seats to vote teal or green and allocated their preferences that way. I assume that it was quid pro quo much like the lib/Mats have done for years with the UAP and one nation. But in this instance it wasn't just racist nutters or fools who think Palmer might actually represent them. So in short it was a very strategic campaign and it's served them very well.
Let's hope these new bunch of ***** serve us well.... highly doubt they will

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got to be joking? Anyone that bothers to research the science of so called anthropogenic climate change can see that the modelling and predictions don't conform with the observed facts, and so is little more than a leftist cult.
Secondly, critical race theory of bashing anyone not black, and making kids feel guilty for being white and denouncing anyone that doesn't agree as a white supremacist, is taking over our institutions. Then there's gender wars.
Recently beaurocrats standing before senate committees couldn't define what a woman was...it's complicated they said. So too is it not compassionate to let boys compete against girls in sports if the boys decide they feel like becoming a female.
The PM's response to all this?.....Lets agree on net zero emissions by 2050. WTF
And, any lockdowns are state matters. Any freedoms destroyed are state matters. Any vaccine mandates imposed are state concerns. WTF.
The liberals lost the election because they were mirroring labor, or had no opinion on these matters, so in deserting their base conservatives, their base deserted them.
The only way back is for the Liberals to stand as an alternative to the lefty lunacy, to move to the right, not moving further to the left.
You don't win an argument by agreeing with your opponent. You win by pointing out how ridiculous, how infantile, how petty, how unscientific your opponent is. The Liberals lost because they weren't brave enough to stand for something.
This election allows the Liberal party to reset its compass on supporting and championing conservative values.
Yes maybe, but they lost because that's not the direction the electorate seemingly wants to go, and (having spent 20+ years in media) I believe they
don't nesaseraly want to suport a party that "stands for somthing" Australians in general don't like dogma and (unlike America) the electoret has never been "polerised" into two camps other than the dismissal of Whitlem back in 1975.
Fortunatly Australian dosn't want to go hard left either, labor lost the unlosable election last time becasuse they drifted to the left, as I recall they wanted to remove franking credits on shars etc and for some reasion brought forth the ghost of Whitlam (proboly some man buned melenial accademic who never lived through the politicol termoil of the 70 thought of that one)
Australians want centerest government pure and simple, not the Greens or UAP or One nation.
It will be interesting to see if the Teals gain traction aganst the Greens...

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
A lot of Liberal supporters were lost because they believed the party was heading too far left.
Whilst that was happening Labor backflipped on policies that made them unpopular last time, suddenly agreeing with the Libs on things like border protection and they played the smarter game. Labor knew people wanted a change and ran a very small target campaign. Some of their key MPs were barely seen and therefore couldn’t be quizzed on shallow policy.
It was an intelligent move, good on them.

Whilst it was good Liberal released a response ad showing the true context of Labors very misleading ‘that’s not my job’ advertisement the damage was done. The Libs should have seized more on Albo bumbling his way through the election compaign but weren’t negative enough.

Labor would’ve smashed Morrison if he forgot everything bar his name, stormed out of press conferences but just weren’t “negative“ and “attack dog“ enough as the left do so well

I bet Albo is hoping Peter Dutton isn’t his opponent, not because Dutton is so likeable by the public but because he will tear shreds into his incompetence and the parties policies without substance and forethought like their mortgage sharing policy to name one

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A lot of Liberal supporters were lost because they believed the party was heading too far left.
Whilst that was happening Labor backflipped on policies that made them unpopular last time, suddenly agreeing with the Libs on things like border protection and they played the smarter game. Labor knew people wanted a change and ran a very small target campaign. Some of their key MPs were barely seen and therefore couldn’t be quizzed on shallow policy.

Whilst it was good Liberal released a response ad showing the true context of Labors very misleading ‘that’s not my job’ advertisement the damage was done. The Libs should have seized more on Albo bumbling his way through the election compaign but weren’t negative enough.

Labor would’ve smashed Morrison if he forgot everything bar his name, stormed out of press conferences but just weren’t “negative“ and “attack dog“ enough as the left do so well

I bet Albo is hoping Peter Dutton isn’t his opponent, not because Dutton is so likeable by the public but because he will tear shreds into his incompetence and the parties policies without substance and forethought like their mortgage sharing policy to name one
Agree with what you have written. The other thing is that Morrison came across as a weak leader. He sided with the minorities many times.
Australians really want a centre right party. A Conservative Party. Morrison did not give them that. So they took the lesser of two evils.
I agree that Dutton will get them back on track. The bed wetters have been expunged and I hope they replace them with Conservative candidates.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Why didn't the UAP, One Nation or Lib Dems pick up those seats instead of the socially progressive Teals?

This handwringing on the ALP running a negative campaign is weird. Did you have the same problem when Abbott popularised that strategy in Australia and was objectively more vitriolic?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. It was a mess, especially considering you had One Nation preferencing Labor in certain areas. Liberals had no chance.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The seats the Liberals lost voted for candidates that supported climate change action and gender equity.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why didn't the UAP, One Nation or Lib Dems pick up those seats instead of the socially progressive Teals?

This handwringing on the ALP running a negative campaign is weird. Did you have the same problem when Abbott popularised that strategy in Australia and was objectively more vitriolic?
I can’t explain the thought process behind anyone voting for the teals mate haha. We are talking about this current election. Please stay on topic

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I feel jibbed. I’m from a small country town so when I drove in I expected labour , greens , independents etc all there to push there case. There was only the nationals at my polling site so I didn’t get the expert opinions of why I should vote for the other parties. I feel left out other parties don’t care about my vote

Status
Not open for further replies.