Under 20's NSW/QLD teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
has any noticed that no Bulldogs player shave been picked in the under 20s State of Origin...Bought not Bred has gone out the window

N

Natboy

I noticed that but wasn't really surprised.
It's a shame.
The only excuse I guess the club would say is we have a lot of kiwis but still, not even one player?!?

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We don't really have any of that top tier juniors.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I noticed that too...
It amazes me that we have one of the best junior nurseries in Sydney and we can't field 1 u/20's Origin rep.

Is it that players and player managers are aware of Dessie's and the clubs poor junior development programme? It's pretty much public knowledge that Des maintains his 17 all year barring injury or rep duties. That's a pretty sh!t reality for a young guy making headlines at the club and warranting a start at NRL level.

N

Natboy

Wasn't the quote "Bred not bought"? Needless to say it should definitely now be "Bought not bred".
I'd like to see stats on junior participation levels in our area for mid-teens compared to others

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's been like that for a few years now...

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I noticed that too...
It amazes me that we have one of the best junior nurseries in Sydney and we can't field 1 u/20's Origin rep.

Is it that players and player managers are aware of Dessie's and the clubs poor junior development programme? It's pretty much public knowledge that Des maintains his 17 all year barring injury or rep duties. That's a pretty sh!t reality for a young guy making headlines at the club and warranting a start at NRL level.
Good point about whether player managers are steering good youngsters away from the dogs because of Haslers blind loyalty to the same 17 regardless of form. I wonder how garvey, woolford and tramatina feel when Dogs sign Farmanu Brown as a hooker! A position he doesn't even play. Only the dogs, only des!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good point about whether player managers are steering good youngsters away from the dogs because of Haslers blind loyalty to the same 17 regardless of form. I wonder how garvey, woolford and tramatina feel when Dogs sign Farmanu Brown as a hooker! A position he doesn't even play. Only the dogs, only des!
He does play it... he's pretty much a utility player.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed that too...

Penrith have a monopoly on western Sydney juniors, then the Tigers and then the dogs.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's disgraceful and a true reflection of the lack of forward planning and development at the club.

It's been like this for years and while we've never had a tonne of reps in these and the schoolboy teams, it's gotten worse under des to the point where we never have anyone.

He's so obsessed with winning now (We don't even do that) that he backends everyone's deals and signs only established players or reserve graders from other clubs who generally have little to no upside.

The best way to build a club and team is by developing junior talent and bringing them through on cheaper deals and so they learn your systems etc.

Other clubs like Canberra, Brisbane, the Roosters and cronulla to etc are way ahead of us in this regard and it shows when a team like the Roosters have guys like manu, Mitchell, sio suia, Watson and butcher etc all coming through and performing for their teams.

Even the few promising juniors we do have stagnate because they never get to play. And why would promising juniors sign with us when this is the case?

The club is being run into he ground and this is the perfect example of it. I can't take this shit anymore. By the time change occurs In five years we'll be even further behind every other club.

But hey, at least Hasler will have another $5 million to add to his offshore accounts by then!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Who was the last QLD or NSW jnr rep we had?

N

Natboy

Penrith have a monopoly on western Sydney juniors, then the Tigers and then the dogs.
With all of the money and resources Penrith have put into junior league they truly deserve it. We are a joke

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all of the money and resources Penrith have put into junior league they truly deserve it. We are a joke
It has nothing to do with the funds, it's the catchment area that determines the amount of quality juniors you can develop. That's why qld and New Zealand have so many juniors even though they would spend less than Penrith in development. And that's why Canberra and Brisbane have disputes about some of the juniors that Canberra sign

N

Natboy

It has nothing to do with the funds, it's the catchment area that determines the amount of quality juniors you can develop. That's why qld and New Zealand have so many juniors even though they would spend less than Penrith in development. And that's why Canberra and Brisbane have disputes about some of the juniors that Canberra sign
It doesn't matter how big your catchment area is if you don't develop and nurture the young players.
Have a look at the programmes Gus is running and the Broncos for that matter

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how big your catchment area is if you don't develop and nurture the young players.
Have a look at the programmes Gus is running and the Broncos for that matter
Broncos have the entire state to choose from pretty much, and Penrith as much as the develop their juniors have also bought a lot and let go of promising juniors as well as some of them not continuing to improve. They do a lot better than us but Bulldogs increasing funds for juniors will never get the same benefits as Penrith due to the size of their junior base

N

Natboy

Broncos have the entire state to choose from pretty much, and Penrith as much as the develop their juniors have also bought a lot and let go of promising juniors as well as some of them not continuing to improve. They do a lot better than us but Bulldogs increasing funds for juniors will never get the same benefits as Penrith due to the size of their junior base
League is the national sport in PNG.
So by that logic they should be undefeated every World Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.