UEFA Champions League

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
no, just having a bit of fun... in truth, I am probably most partial to Chelsea of England's Big 5 and one-third
Lol ok was gonna say if you were it’s understandable to be a bit salty today

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think it is all about who Man City replace Aguero with... let's see if they panic and spend £100+ million on Harry Kane or Haaland
How is buying Kane or Haaland panicking? Every team should be trying to buy one of them.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is buying Kane or Haaland panicking? Every team should be trying to buy one of them.
it will panicking to an extent IF City pay in excess of £100K since they have made a concerted effort to not overspend on any one player

I'm not sure if City have paid more than £65 million for a player since the takeover... and Kane and Haaland will cost considerably more

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
it will panicking to an extent IF City pay in excess of £100K since they have made a concerted effort to not overspend on any one player

I'm not sure if City have paid more than £65 million for a player since the takeover... and Kane and Haaland will cost considerably more
Haaland has a 66 million pound release clause.

You pay what a player is worth. Paying over 100 million pounds for Kane is smart business not panicking.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
release clause applies from next year
Fair enough. Kane though would take them to a new level. Also you don't want your competitors getting him. If I'm City I'm buying Kane for sure. They don't need to upgrade any other position.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair enough. Kane though would take them to a new level. Also you don't want your competitors getting him. If I'm City I'm buying Kane for sure. They don't need to upgrade any other position.
don't get me wrong... City need a top line no. 9 with Aguero leaving and Jesus likely not being good enough to be a starting forward... and Kane or Haaland would be a fantastic options

but City have made a point of NOT throwing money around recklessly on any one player... sure, they are big spenders on the squad as a whole and could field almost two full very competitive starting XIs... but no one player... hence, why Harry Macguire signed with Utd and not City even though City lost Kompany

we are though a full 5 years into the Guardiola reign and still no ECL win... that is why I am curious to see whether City bends/breaks and spends huge to bring Kane or Haaland across

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
don't get me wrong... City need a top line no. 9 with Aguero leaving and Jesus likely not being good enough to be a starting forward... and Kane or Haaland would be a fantastic options

but City have made a point of NOT throwing money around recklessly on any one player... sure, they are big spenders on the squad as a whole and could field almost two full very competitive starting XIs... but no one player... hence, why Harry Macguire signed with Utd and not City even though City lost Kompany

we are though a full 5 years into the Guardiola reign and still no ECL win... that is why I am curious to see whether City bends/breaks and spends huge to bring Kane or Haaland across
They haven't spent massive on 1 player because they haven't needed too. Just like Liverpool. When the right player comes along though you need too.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They haven't spent massive on 1 player because they haven't needed too. Just like Liverpool. When the right player comes along though you need too.
I have a lot of respect for the business done by Liverpool in recent years but they still made Van Dijk the most expensive defender ever (until Man U signed Macguire) when they identified that weakness

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for the business done by Liverpool in recent years but they still made Van Dijk the most expensive defender ever (until Man U signed Macguire) when they identified that weakness
And he was WORTH the money.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And he was WORTH the money.
I know... and we saw what happened to Liverpool when Pickford snapped Van Dijk's ACL

my point is simply whether City will go back on their stated policy and break the bank on a centre forward

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I know... and we saw what happened to Liverpool when Pickford snapped Van Dijk's ACL

my point is simply whether City will go back on their stated policy and break the bank on a centre forward
Where did they actually state this?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did they actually state this?
I do not remember the program now but I watched a program on the Man City training ground/campus and they consciously engaging the local communities and businesses

but more than that, we have seen who they have signed, for how much, and when they have bailed on negotiations with players when the expense was too much (eg. Macguire, Alexis Sanchez)

and there were recent reports that Mino Raiola would be after a million pounds a week for Haaland... that is why I want to see where City's headspace is this off season

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I do not remember the program now but I watched a program on the Man City training ground/campus and they consciously engaging the local communities and businesses

but more than that, we have seen who they have signed, for how much, and when they have bailed on negotiations with players when the expense was too much (eg. Macguire, Alexis Sanchez)

and there were recent reports that Mino Raiola would be after a million pounds a week for Haaland... that is why I want to see where City's headspace is this off season
Man City have never officially had a policy though.

No one is giving Haaland that much money and Raiola is a dickhead.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man City have never officially had a policy though.

No one is giving Haaland that much money and Raiola is a dickhead.
not everything has to be specifically stated to still be true

at some point, Haaland will be earning astronomical wages but he will first have to perform in a big club, in a big league, in the biggest tournaments... but not yet... and in truth, I think Haaland will negotiate this year for the 2022/2023 season when the release clause kicks in