Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Tyson Frizell

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
(Article just mentions that Dogs are interested in Frizell for 2024)

NRL 2023: Wests Tigers seek to poach Tyson Frizell from Knights

The Wests Tigers are looking to add yet another representative forward to their already stacked pack, but they have plenty of competition.

Michael Carayannis,

David Riccio and Brent Read

Wests Tigers are considering making a play for Newcastle veteran Tyson Frizell who is on the cusp of an Origin recall.

The Tigers will have about $500,000 salary cap freed up next year as soon as they allow Joe Ofahengaue to join the Eels immediately. The decision to grant Ofahengaue a release from the remaining two-and-a-half years of his contract has now opened the door for the club to potentially make a move for Frizell who is off-contract at the end of the season.

Frizell shares a close bond with incoming Tigers coach Benji Marshall after the pair struck up a friendship during the three seasons they spent alongside each other at St George Illawarra. The Knights have put an offer together to keep Frizell, but the club are trying to navigate through a tricky salary cap situation.

The Tigers have a stack of forwards soaking up a large chunk of their salary cap even in lieu of Ofahengaue. With Frizell most comfortable on an edge, his arrival may force the likes of internationals John Bateman or Isaiah Papali‘I into the middle of the field.

Frizell has been rejuvenated this year – and is expected to be rewarded with a return to the Origin arena for the first time since 2020.

He claimed Newcastle’s player of the year award last year and, at 31, has shown there are still plenty of miles left in his body.

The Tigers may have to offer a three-year deal to entice him out of Newcastle, where he has just recently purchased a home with his wife and young children.

The Tigers are not the only club contemplating making a play for Frizell. The Bulldogs are also keeping an eye on Frizell‘s contract status.

Canterbury are looking to add experience to their forward back in 2024 and would view Frizell as an ideal recruit.

The Tigers would also have significant money freed should Luke Brooks decide to end his stay at the club.

Tigers coach Tim Sheens made it clear on Friday that the club would make Brooks a multi-year offer, but he may decide to look elsewhere.

Even if he stays, he will take a significant cut on his current salary, which is well north of $1 million.

Former Knights player and recruitment officer Alex McKinnon said he was surprised Frizell was still on the market.

Frizell has been Newcastle’s best player this year, but he’s off contract at the end of the season, meaning he could sign with a rival club today,” McKinnon wrote in his Fox Sports column.

“The club has really struggled for leadership over the past 10 years and they finally have a man to follow in Frizell.

“The Knights simply cannot afford to lose a player like Tyson Frizell. Not only do they lack depth there but there’s a shortage league wide.”

Newcastle duo Daniel Saifiti and Bradman Best have been linked with a move away from the club.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If we can pull off an off season of Hame Sele and one of Frizz/Saifiti then thats a huge win. Preferably all 3 would be good but doubt we can afford both Frizz and Saf

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I can't see us signing any starting second rowers unless they can play lock. Frizell very up and down and probably doesn't have the metres in him to play middle. No passing game.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Nah, he’s not even top 32.5
I'd rather be stubborn and right than stubborn and wrong. It's a new day and you're still at yesterday.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'd rather be stubborn and right than stubborn and wrong. It's a new day and you're still at yesterday.
I was talking to OP. Not you. So, it’s a new day and YOU’RE still at yesterday

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I was talking to OP. Not you. So, it’s a new day and YOU’RE still at yesterday
You replied to me on another thread about this topic and referenced me again here (today). On the other thread you're coming off as aggressive and on this thread you're trying to make fun of me. Some of my comments might appear bizarre to you but you're up against someone who's right 99% of the time after the fact.

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You replied to me on another thread about this topic and referenced me again here (today). On the other thread you're coming off as aggressive and on this thread you're trying to make fun of me. Some of my comments might appear bizarre to you but you're up against someone who's right 99% of the time after the fact.
It's impressive that you still get some predictions wrong after the events have happened.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's impressive that you still get some predictions wrong after the events have happened.
That means very little unless you're going to start writing a list. Go through my profile/postings.

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That means very little unless you're going to start writing a list. Go through my profile/postings.
Here's a list:

1) First tryscorer in Dogs/Titans
2) Last tryscorer in Dogs/Titans
3) Highest point scorer in Dogs/Titans
4) Total tries scored in Dogs/Titans
5) Scoreline in Dogs/Titans
6) First tryscorer in Raiders/Manly
7) Last tryscorer in Raiders/Manly
8) Highest point scorer in Raiders/Manly
9) Total tries scored in Raiders/Manly
10) Scoreline in Raiders/Manly

You tell us the answer to these before the fact, and let's see this amazing predictive ability of yours. With a 99% hit rate, you should get at least 9 correct.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Here's a list:

1) First tryscorer in Dogs/Titans
2) Last tryscorer in Dogs/Titans
3) Highest point scorer in Dogs/Titans
4) Total tries scored in Dogs/Titans
5) Scoreline in Dogs/Titans
6) First tryscorer in Raiders/Manly
7) Last tryscorer in Raiders/Manly
8) Highest point scorer in Raiders/Manly
9) Total tries scored in Raiders/Manly
10) Scoreline in Raiders/Manly

You tell us the answer to these before the fact, and let's see this amazing predictive ability of yours. With a 99% hit rate, you should get at least 9 correct.
I specifically said from things I've posted. What the fuck.