Turvey playing the long game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckdog

Waterboy
Reaction score
WhenTurvey went public about the club losing its DNA I thought he had to have the numbers. He's too smart and been around too long to say something like that to the press and not know what he's doing. Then come the board meeting that Friday, he loses and resigns, and Des is saved until next season at least.

Which got me thinking. Turvey must have known that he wouldn't have the numbers to get rid of Des. I reckon he's playing the long game. If, as expected, the team falls in a heap on the field next season, he will be well positioned to ride in as a white knight for the next election (2017?) and tell everyone he foresaw this and he knows how to get our DNA back etc.

Even if the club does ok next year (say we are top four at the time of the elections), undoubtedly there will still be some grumbling about the way we are playing etc and Turvey will be able to build on that to push his case.

Strap yourselves in this could be a bumpy ride.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
WhenTurvey went public about the club losing its DNA I thought he had to have the numbers. He's too smart and been around too long to say something like that to the press and not know what he's doing. Then come the board meeting that Friday, he loses and resigns, and Des is saved until next season at least.

Which got me thinking. Turvey must have known that he wouldn't have the numbers to get rid of Des. I reckon he's playing the long game. If, as expected, the team falls in a heap on the field next season, he will be well positioned to ride in as a white knight for the next election (2017?) and tell everyone he foresaw this and he knows how to get our DNA back etc.

Even if the club does ok next year (say we are top four at the time of the elections), undoubtedly there will still be some grumbling about the way we are playing etc and Turvey will be able to build on that to push his case.

LOL Turvey smart??? LOL

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is also the possibility that he had the numbers , but when push comes to shove they turned their backs on him.. just saying, we can only speculate 100 different outcomes..

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He must have known that sereval within the club shared his opinion on Hasler, but he also knew he wouldn't be able to oust him last Friday.

It's an intriguing one, and I'm not sure what his angle is, but I'm glad he went public with an idea that many share, both inside and outside of the club.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would not surprise me, one iota, if these comments, along with Baa's earlier in the season, were with the boards approval.

All to get Des into line.

That, and the dumping of the football department. Let him know the leash is getting shorter.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I doubt if someone has breached a contractual obligation as a company board member, that they are eligible to stand on the board again.

He spoke out of line, against his terms of contact, and I think you'll find was heavily leaned on to resign or be sacked.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
It could be that he sacrificed himself to get that stubborn fuk to finally change his ridiculous style of footy through public backlash.

Whether Turvey should have done it or not as a Board matter doesn't matter as he has the truth on his side and everyone single person with more than a 1/4 brain know's it!

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What many ppl forget here is that Turvey got exactly what he asked for.

Turvey asked for Dessies contract not to be renewed for 2 more years and the club complied

'An emotional Steve Mortimer has vowed to walk away from his position on the Bulldogs’ board if Des Hasler is handed a new two-year contract extension at Friday’s emergency meeting.'

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Are you saying one of the greatest ever Bulldogs is not smart? Shame on you sir.
There is another one "Baa" both are club legends but, not very smart!! some people on this forum think because you are and always will be a club legend does not mean some of those ex players are smart.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
There is another one "Baa" both are club legends but, not very smart!! some people on this forum think because you are and always will be a club legend does not mean some of those ex players are smart.
And what exactly is your idea of smart?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And what exactly is your idea of smart?
I'm pretty sure his definition is blindly following a Manly imposter destroying our club over a club legend who only wants the best for the club he loves.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you know they IQ ?

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He must have known that sereval within the club shared his opinion on Hasler, but he also knew he wouldn't be able to oust him last Friday.

It's an intriguing one, and I'm not sure what his angle is, but I'm glad he went public with an idea that many share, both inside and outside of the club.
Guys I can tell you there were a number of board members who shared the same opinion as Mortimer. The question is why didn't they voice their real opinion when they had the chance.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

As stated in another post he got what he wanted or contract extension on hold... he never said he wanted des gone straight away even though he probably did...he was stood down because he reached the rules by going public

Love Turvey not sure he'd be a good CEO would definitely want him back on the board

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a nice thought, but to be honest I struggle to see how having a history of talking to the media about board matters and causing a bit of instability would put him in a good position in the near future for club management.

More a lose lose situation really, if we go badly next season, he didn't help. If we go well, his comments look kinda silly......... no idea what his intent was, but the way it played out I see no silver lining.

Best case scenario would be there is no further fallout, thats about it. It clearly wouldn't improve our ability to sign players, or another coach for that matter if it comes to that. If Mortimer couldn't see that..... as much as I love the guy and his club legend status can never be questioned...... he probably shouldn't be considered for a board come back either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.