Not open for further replies.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
Tri Nations Format

New format for 2005 Tri-Nations
Saturday December 18, 05:12 AM
Yahoo Sport

Rugby Football League executive chairman Richard Lewis has revealed the Tri-Nations tournament is unlikely to be staged in the southern hemisphere before 2006.

The future of the event is under discussion after some Australian clubs voiced their concern about player burn-out.

And with six of the seven recent games staged in Britain, some players also felt they had to spend too long away from home.

The tournament however proved a commercial success and Lewis is hoping this year's format can be modified format for 2005 before considering a move Down Under 12 months later.

Lewis said: "The Tri-Nations was very successful and there is a strong desire for it to take place next year, probably in this country again.

"The NRL clubs met last week and the vast majority of them supported the competition taking place.

"We need to work through things to find the best schedule but I think virtually everyone wants the Tri-Nations to take place.

"We can build on the success of the competition here. I then think 2006 would be the ideal year to take it to the southern hemisphere."

This year's Tri-Nations attracted crowds of 180,000 in Britain and made a profit of STG750,000 ($A1.92 million).

The only disappointing match was the final, in which Great Britain was thrashed 44-4 by Australia at Elland Road, but Lewis is confident the damage done by that game an be withstood.

He added: "I think the final did do damage but not significantly in the overall context of the competition.

"The majority of comments have been saying Britain played well but had a poor first half in the final and it would be good to see them back on the pitch and see if their trend of improving performances can continue.

"There were six good matches and one that wasn't. It was just a pity that was the final."

I think they should make it every 2 years and alternate the Hemispheres. They can arrange so that the ashes can be played in a free year. As for the final the damage will remain. The Aussies will always step up when needed when everything is on the line. And until the Poms can dig deep and have some cold hard grit then they wont get near us.

K

K E

I have mixed emotions about the Tri-Nations.

I do and dont want our boys playing in it.

Make sense or not?

Willskii

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Well, we did gte a few major injuries which is not cool. Injuries is the only not cool think i can think of right now. I guess they could spanm the trinations over a longer period of time andalso have it less common, maybe every 3 years. Having it to often will make it lose its excitment factor plus GB and NZ need better players.

M

MrCharisma

We need less competition games... put it to 22 or 24 games and we need to knock the top 8 into the Top 6 or 5.

K

K E

I say top 6.........

Makes the Comp more competitive i reckon.

*Doggiez Angel*

Sponsored by Playboy
Reaction score
it's a hard topic to comment on.
i dont think tri nations should b every year but it seems the players LOVE the chance to represent their country so, if the NRL season was shorter it wouldn't make it so bad i guess cos they would have longer to recover b4 the next season started. Maybe just drop the tomahawks game thats where we got the most injuries

If ur confused dont worry i am a bit myself too.

Hope u can understand it :grinning:

M

MrCharisma

I think Top 5.... Minor Prem gets the week off and one team gets eliminated in the first rd. Week two is the semi's and week three is GF

lockyer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
K E said:
I have mixed emotions about the Tri-Nations.

I do and dont want our boys playing in it.

Make sense or not?
makes sense to me, i dont want to see my team's players injured, yet i want to see how they go, and want to see them represent their country etc.

As far as im concerned, i know most players want to represent their country and are willing to risk injury to play for the roo's so lets sit back and enjoy the display.

M

MrCharisma

Exactly Lockyer...playing for Australia I assume would be an honour

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
SoNnY's_HoT! said:
it's a hard topic to comment on.
i dont think tri nations should b every year but it seems the players LOVE the chance to represent their country so, if the NRL season was shorter it wouldn't make it so bad i guess cos they would have longer to recover b4 the next season started. Maybe just drop the tomahawks game thats where we got the most injuries

If ur confused dont worry i am a bit myself too.

Hope u can understand it :grinning:
I agree, I liked the Tri-nations. However, maybe leave out the games in the middle of the Tri-nations (eg. against France or whoever they played).

I really dont see why alternating hemispheres each time its held is such a problem. Why should Aust and NZ keep having to go to England?!

I also agree with having a top 6 instead of 8 in the NRL.

M

MrCharisma

The game against France isn't apart of the Tri-Nations, it's just a game to avoid having a bye... it keeps the sides playing and coaches can try out new combinations

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
I know its not part of the Tri-nations. I just dont think that one is necessary.

M

MrCharisma

I think it is... it may seem menial to most people but it's a stepping stone to the French Rugby League. The experience they learn from the three games is awesome... and with their side coming into the Super League in 2006, I wouldn't be suprised to see France make it a 4way dance

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
Fair enough, I never though about it that way before.

Status
Not open for further replies.