Trent Hodkinson 2015 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jam3491

Waterboy
Reaction score
I can't believe all the hate for Hodkinson this season. He is still working up to full speed but lets just have a look at his stats compared to some other "gun" halfbacks.

Tackle Breaks Line Breaks Line Break Ast Try Assists Kick Metres Missed Tackles
Hodkinson 2 0 3 3 550 3
Pearce 2 0 0 2 610 8
Thurston 2 0 0 0 440 9
Cronk 2 0 1 0 640 5

I fully understand that stats are not the end of the world.

But maybe its time for some people on here to have a look at these. There are plenty of teams in worst situations at the 7 than the bulldogs.

Plus he didnt start running till February the other 3 had full preseasons. In 5 or 6 weeks when fully healthy I honestly think your all going to change tune.

N

Natboy

I can't believe all the hate for Hodkinson this season. He is still working up to full speed but lets just have a look at his stats compared to some other "gun" halfbacks.

Hodkinson 2 0 3 3 550 3
Pearce 2 0 0 2 610 8
Thurston 2 0 0 0 440 9
Cronk 2 0 1 0 640 5

But maybe its time for some people on here to have a look at these. There are plenty of teams in worst situations at the 7 than the bulldogs.

Plus he didnt start running till February the other 3 had full preseasons. In 5 or 6 weeks when fully healthy I honestly think your all going to change tune.
I hope so mate

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a difference between hate and criticism

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Hodkinson 2 0 3 3 550 3
Pearce 2 0 0 2 610 8
Thurston 2 0 0 0 440 9
Cronk 2 0 1 0 640 5

You're right, stats aren't the end of the world. For example, those stats don't tell you that one of Trent's try assists was actually Beau Champion laying on the ground, another a set play, or where those kicks actually landed, and what impact they had.

I hope you're right, and he does start firing sooner, rather than later.

Until then, however, I'm feel no qualms in calling his game how I see it. A a halfback, and a director on the park, there's no doubt he needs to improve.

I don't hate Trent, I just want the best for the team.

jam3491

Waterboy
Reaction score
You're right, stats aren't the end of the world. For example, those stats don't tell you that one of Trent's try assists was actually Beau Champion laying on the ground, another a set play, or where those kicks actually landed, and what impact they had.

I hope you're right, and he does start firing sooner, rather than later.

Until then, however, I'm feel no qualms in calling his game how I see it. A a halfback, and a director on the park, there's no doubt he needs to improve.

I don't hate Trent, I just want the best for the team.
I understand what you are saying and I agree they do not tell the full story

All im trying to say is that our halves situation is not as bad as it is made out to be on here i can think of a lot of other teams worse off

Reaction score
where's the hate? i haven't seen anyone hate on Trent. He cops alot of criticism, but it's never about him as a person.

whoever wears the 7 is always going to be heavily scrutinized, but i think everyone on here knows that he's a good bloke and a decent human being.

if he isn't fully fit like you say, he shouldn't have played first grade until he was ready. I'd rather have him missing for 2 or 3 weeks at this stage of the season, than have him missing later in the season

jam3491

Waterboy
Reaction score
where's the hate? i haven't seen anyone hate on Trent. He cops alot of criticism, but it's never about him as a person.

whoever wears the 7 is always going to be heavily scrutinized, but i think everyone on here knows that he's a good bloke and a decent human being.

if he isn't fully fit like you say, he shouldn't have played first grade until he was ready. I'd rather have him missing for 2 or 3 weeks at this stage of the season, than have him missing later in the season
ok i didnt mean hate as in personal hate i meant criticism on his footy

i just think the level is unwarranted he has done more IMO than thurston cronk and pearce but he is being hammered here

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Those stats don't show all the times he's ruined our attack in the opposition 20.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Also he has missed 6 tackles not 3.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We dont hate him, we just don't like his style of play and he lacks a lot of ability. And its not just me who sees it that way.
Des hasler sees it himself, which is why we play the structure we do now, our forwards have more visions and skills and Des uses that coz its all we have.
If Hokko was a player of the calibre of DCE etc you would see a totally different structure. And blokes like Jmoz would benefit from it as well. He hardly ever sees the ball early or a chance to run same way Lafai gets to.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put simply people on here will bag him out because he's not setting a try up every time he touched the ball.

But in all honesty i love Trent, but he's underdone. Thats all it is. Last year he fired early due to having a full pre season, he didnt get that this year. What i wanna see from him is a solid kicking game, and to cut out those shit chip kicks he does on the last that we never ever score from. Put a grubber in and build pressure. One thing ill give him credit is he had parience against parra. That opening part of the game where we were camped on their line, other halves woulda lost their shit and gone for a miracle play. Trent kept himself and moses calm, resulting in Rona scoring.

All in all he needs time, give him a month and he'll be swee . Also get a haircut boy!

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't believe all the hate for Hodkinson this season.
There is a difference between hate and criticism
There is a big difference. We are all passionate Bulldogs fans and we just want our guys to be at their best; and criticism, positive or negative is a real good way to keep our blood pressure at a safe level.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But in all honesty i love Trent, but he's underdone. Thats all it is. Last year he fired early due to having a full pre season, he didnt get that this year.
I think you hit the nail on the head there... hopefully he can stay injury free and improve, but he certainly is pretty prone to injuring himself.

Kayser

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Put simply people on here will bag him out because he's not setting a try up every time he touched the ball.

But in all honesty i love Trent, but he's underdone. Thats all it is. Last year he fired early due to having a full pre season, he didnt get that this year. What i wanna see from him is a solid kicking game, and to cut out those shit chip kicks he does on the last that we never ever score from. Put a grubber in and build pressure. One thing ill give him credit is he had parience against parra. That opening part of the game where we were camped on their line, other halves woulda lost their shit and gone for a miracle play. Trent kept himself and moses calm, resulting in Rona scoring.

All in all he needs time, give him a month and he'll be swee . Also get a haircut boy!
i think the pre season thing you mentioned is spot on. I expect him to improve over the next 3-4 weeks and by round 8, he'll be in full swing. Provided there's no injuries.
ps. He has the worst hair style since Paul Doolan.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wasnt impressed with his form after state of origin last season and he has continued his average run of form this season. His kicking game is lacking along with his ability to bring brett morris into the game like we did with ben barba.

He is either going to pull up and earn a new contract at the dogs or fade away and resurrect his career with another club ( either manly or sharks).

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It is true he has not been firing on all cylinders so far this year and to some extent even his kicking is suffering a little as some of the missed goals this year were givens last year.Let's all not panic; after all he won us a few game last year at the death with some brilliant field goals and we loved him then. Give the guy a little time and hopefully his form will improve we will all be pleasantly surprised a little further down the track.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hodko always has a great game against Manly, he will hit some form tonight. I back him to be a better player in the long run with better support and composure from his halves partner, he just needs to get his hands on the ball more and back himself. But please stop with the stupid passes on the last tackle ffs

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thurston Pearce and Cronk seem more involved, barking direction non-stop. I havn't seen that from Hodg this year, but what the **** do I know I havn't go a microphone down there.

I love him as a player though, very calm head on his shoulders which is great.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Manly can have Hodkinson this week if they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.