Trent Barrett won’t reveal Jake Averillo’s future role as Bulldogs await Matt Burton arrival

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bulldogs

NRL 2021: Trent Barrett won’t reveal Jake Averillo’s future role as Bulldogs await Matt Burton arrival

He may be the designated five-eighth this season but the Bulldogs are yet to settle on Jake Averillo’s best role in 2022 and beyond as they await the arrival of Matt Burton.

Canterbury coach Trent Barrett has insisted the noise surrounding Matt Burton’s arrival to the club has not had an impact on Jake Averillo, but he wouldn’t be drawn into the future role of the rising playmaker in the side.
Local junior Averillo, who has re-signed with the Bulldogs until the end of 2023, is the man expected to make way for Penrith’s Matt Burton when he lobs in Belmore.

But Barrett, who will take on Penrith on Saturday for the first time since helping guide the side to a grand final appearance in 2020, was only prepared to lay out a short term plan when asked about Averillo’s best position moving forward.

Trent Barrett says he was more than happy with Averillo against the Knights.

Trent Barrett says he was more than happy with Averillo against the Knights.

“This week he will be in the halves, round three, he’ll be in the halves, round four, he’ll be in halves,” Barrett said.

Averillo came through the junior ranks in the halves and has made no secret of his ambitions to play at five-eighth at the NRL level.

When asked about the constant speculation surrounding Burton’s potential early release from Penrith and whether the headlines had an impact on Averillo, Barrett said: “No, he is going good. He’s a good little player, Jake.”

“He did a good job for us last week. He is an athletic kid, he can play in a number of positions. He can play fullback, he can play centre and he does a good job at five-eighth as well. We need him to play well this week.

“It was his third game starting in the halves, it’s a big learning curve for him but he is doing well.”

Since joining Canterbury as head coach, Barrett has lured boom halfback Burton to Belmore on a lucrative two-year deal from season 2022. Barrett also signed former Penrith forward Jack Hetherington.

The Bulldogs are eagerly awaiting the arrival of Matt Burton.

The Bulldogs are eagerly awaiting the arrival of Matt Burton

Despite Burton’s deal not kicking in until November 1, Canterbury have been pushing for an early release for the 21-year-old to join the Bulldogs this season.

There has been speculation the signature of Hetherington and Burton, plus the Bulldogs’ pursuit of Spencer Leniu and Stephen Crichton, has put a strain on Barrett’s relationship with Panthers coach Ivan Cleary.

But Barrett insisted his relationships with Cleary and others at his former club has not soured.

“It’s all right. It is what it is. I have to do what’s best for Canterbury. I work here and my loyalties lay here and always will be,” Barrett said.

“The relationships out there are still good.”

Barrett also denied he and Cleary had “tense” words during a phone conversation in early February over Burton’s immediate future.

Trent Barrett says his relationship with Penrith has not soured.

Trent Barrett says his relationship with Penrith has not soured

“There were no tense words,” Barrett said.

“We had a phone call a couple of months ago but I speak to a few people regularly over at Penrith. I have spent a lot of time out there and I do know them very well.”

While Barrett admitted not to have spoken to Cleary “for a couple of months”, the Canterbury coach did reveal he and Burton are in contact.

Burton is rated as an NRL quality talent but at Penrith he is stuck behind halves Jarome Luai and Nathan Cleary. Burton was again named in Penrith’s NSW Cup side this weekend.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Barrett doesn't need a reveal his role. We all know Burton will wear the 6 in 2022. How Averillo applies himself for the rest of the season will determine his value/position in the team

silva

Utility
Reaction score
If Corey Allan doesn’t aim up averillo to fullback. If he does aim up averillo to centre. If averillo aims up then we are in a pickle

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Trent Barrett said:
This week he will be in the halves, round three, he’ll be in the halves, round four, he’ll be in halves
20210318_184713.jpg

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's looking like either 14, centre or not in the team. I don't think he's looked good in the centres, especially defensively. If Allan was to have an average to terrible season then maybe fullback opens up.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn’t see the hype? What has he shown in first grade to show he’s going to be a star? He’s way to soft. Can’t defend.
I wouldn’t go that far. He has X factor talent with the ball as a runner and can pass and kick. But.., he has some major defensive floors and still looks like a boy playing footy with men.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Ye
Am I the only one who doesn’t see the hype? What has he shown in first grade to show he’s going to be a star? He’s way to soft. Can’t defend.
Yeah a little bit, he still hasn't shown us anything so it's all Chinese whispers at this stage. He needs to go for it right now while he has the chance and prove he has something.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn’t go that far. He has X factor talent with the ball as a runner and can pass and kick. But.., he has some major defensive floors and still looks like a boy playing footy with men.
I’m am waiting to see something resembling
X Factor. There is a lot of people pumping him up. I am yet to see anything special from him. Hoping to be proved wrong.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
no your not but we're in the minority biggest spruik player on here nfi why :laughing: jury out has done nuthin' as yet.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is rumour on staggs correct if so with burton coming jac on one wing possibly ox on the other and allen at fb we may be looking at av becoming our burton stuck in reggies

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think avo has potential but playing for the bulldogs over the last few years can turn potential into a park footballer. We are starting to see a bit of list forming. In Baz we trust.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Potential.
I agree with all posters here, the ones they say hes shown nothing and the ones that say he has X factor.
He is our 5/8 at present and Im glad Baz is sticking with him in the coming weeks.
I just hope he has a stand out game sooner than later and he builds on that confidence.
Last week nothing seemed to pay off for him or the team for that matter. I feel he has had a few games like that back end of last year. Hes due for a blinder.
I too think he is a boy playing in a mans game at present but would love to see him throw himself 100% into a game which I feel I havent seen since he got head knocked last year.
Anyways, what would I know.
Good luck to him this weekend, looking forward to watching him play.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he's overrated a bit on here due to the fact that we haven't had any decent youngsters with X Factor come through in the last couple of years.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he's overrated a bit on here due to the fact that we haven't had any decent youngsters with X Factor come through in the last couple of years.