Votes: 38 19.7%
  • Replace Tbaz with Flanagan at the end of the season

Votes: 14 7.3%

• Total voters

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Correct BUT by dropping regular first graders to reserve grade like Hopoate, it sends a message.
But then by promoting someone who doesn't deserve to be promoted, hasn't earned it, what sort of message does that send?

Go Dogs

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's the players' attitudes. They aren't putting in their best efforts & that's on the coach. He needs to drop high profile players to reserve grade & put anybody in. I think he probably told a lot of players early on that they wouldn't get their contract renewals. If that is true, it was a big mistake, because they have been kicking stones ever since.

He doesn't appear to be trying anything to change things. Everybody is going back into their shells to get a good completion rate, but with that we can't score because we aren't taking risks. Take a risk, Baz, get some enthusiasm into the team. Get in a sport psych in. Hypnotize them. Try SOMETHING different because what he is doing is not working!!!
Every coach on there would have run the line through most of this roster, so I’m not sure if any coach would get any more out of them.

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he needs time FFS, look at the mess he has walked into...
Agree. But all we want is for him to show us something…. Just something to demonstrate his coaching abilities / credentials. The worrying thing is not that we have not made the Top 8 or even the Top 10 given the mess he walked into - rather, the worrying thing is that we have seen little to demonstrate and suggest he is a good coach. And, I’m sorry, the honeymoon is definitely over for him on that front. It is a worry!

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. But all we want is for him to show us something…. Just something to demonstrate his coaching abilities / credentials. The worrying thing is not that we have not made the Top 8 or even the Top 10 given the mess he walked into - rather, the worrying thing is that we have seen little to demonstrate and suggest he is a good coach. And, I’m sorry, the honeymoon is definitely over for him on that front. It is a worry!
Yep there's no doubt that the whole club has been disappointing (including Baz). In our worst dreams I dont think any of us supporters would have thought we would be 1-11 at this stage of the year.

I remember making a comment before round 1 saying "There is no doubt whatsover that we will be playing a better brand of footy". Turns out I was horribly wrong. Thats the worry for me. Our style hasnt changed much. We still have too many block plays and dont play what is in front of us.

We certainly dont play anything like Penrith thats for sure. Of course we dont have the cattle but I would have liked to see at least some of what worked there for Baz implemented with us.

I think its pretty obvious that he will be given until at least midway next year to prove his worth even if we dont win another game next year. But if we are still running last after Round 12, 2022 then he wont survive and in all likelihood wont get another head coaching role in the NRL. I still have hopes that wont happen though. Our draw for the back part of this year is alot better and we have players coming back. I think we can jag a few wins before the end of the year.

Also our side next year will be completely different

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But then by promoting someone who doesn't deserve to be promoted, hasn't earned it, what sort of message does that send?

Go Dogs
Hopoate's not earning it at the moment so I don't see any difference except it sends a message to experienced players to perform or else.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The better players WILL win us a few games but not because they have been coached by Barrett. You coach bad players to play better, you manage great players to perform their best. I don't reckon he can do either.
This sums it up beautifully.

He can’t hide behind the “so called” mess that he has “walked out into”…

Last edited:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can’t see why Trent is under any pressure, we have struggled for yrs and he took the job on, the teams on top have had teams and players in place for yrs and their jobs for yrs, time is what we need, it’s not his ideal team but it’s a start, no one should have put us anywhere on the ladder or improvement, we have no stars or players that have played through yrs of different club level, Trent will learn from this, he needs time, nsw’s struggled for yrs but people and fans held tight, what does it say about us, number 1 we need to give the coach time and support, 2 we will get there, we can’t just shaft last yrs problems to Mounties, we need to persist with our shit so we can get rid of it, players need to be thought about, we start loosing both grades and next yr we have more scars for our futures, leave the team where it is, let the young blokes learn how to win, so many players have gone missing due to 1st grade coming to quickly. Get rid of the rot and start again, it will make that yr everything clicks so much more, that yr we will be what we see the panthers doing now, stay strong dogs fans, stay strong
Hah?

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep there's no doubt that the whole club has been disappointing (including Baz). In our worst dreams I dont think any of us supporters would have thought we would be 1-11 at this stage of the year.

I remember making a comment before round 1 saying "There is no doubt whatsover that we will be playing a better brand of footy". Turns out I was horribly wrong. Thats the worry for me. Our style hasnt changed much. We still have too many block plays and dont play what is in front of us.

We certainly dont play anything like Penrith thats for sure. Of course we dont have the cattle but I would have liked to see at least some of what worked there for Baz implemented with us.

I think its pretty obvious that he will be given until at least midway next year to prove his worth even if we dont win another game next year. But if we are still running last after Round 12, 2022 then he wont survive and in all likelihood wont get another head coaching role in the NRL. I still have hopes that wont happen though. Our draw for the back part of this year is alot better and we have players coming back. I think we can jag a few wins before the end of the year.

Also our side next year will be completely different
Good to hear someone actually admit they’re ‘wrong’ on here. Still have no idea how people are defending Barrett. He was trash at Manly and is still trash at our helm. Another major fuck up by the club. At this rate I don’t see us getting back to our old ways. It’s like they’re too afraid to admit we are in need of some serious help. Like passing on Bennett what a sick fucking joke. Not enough bulldog DNA or some shit.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In some ways I think our start to the year was in part influenced by the refereeing. If I recall correctly we went a few rounds without a penalty or set restart. Game one looked pretty positive as far as improved attack goes. But then we followed that up with shit for a few weeks and it probably demolished the confidence of a lot of players to be kept scoreless and seemingly playing teams that weren't penalized against us. Judging by some of the negative attitudes of some on here after the third or fourth round if that had crept into even half the run on sides thinking by that stage we were in trouble.

I'm not yet a fan of Barrett. He's a good communicator, but at this stage his positive attitude seems to have evaporated (and I can't blame him). But if the coach is anticipating defeat that'll rub off on the players.

It's the players' attitudes. They aren't putting in their best efforts & that's on the coach. He needs to drop high profile players to reserve grade & put anybody in. I think he probably told a lot of players early on that they wouldn't get their contract renewals. If that is true, it was a big mistake, because they have been kicking stones ever since.

He doesn't appear to be trying anything to change things. Everybody is going back into their shells to get a good completion rate, but with that we can't score because we aren't taking risks. Take a risk, Baz, get some enthusiasm into the team. Get in a sport psych in. Hypnotize them. Try SOMETHING different because what he is doing is not working!!!

In some ways telling players they won't be around the club next year should fire them up to ensure they get a contract elsewhere. But I'm guessing the attitude of the players dropped right off after the early rounds even if it started well. getting told you're on the outer can easily turn a bit of a negative attitude into one where plenty of players are calling it in.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In some ways I think our start to the year was in part influenced by the refereeing. If I recall correctly we went a few rounds without a penalty or set restart. Game one looked pretty positive as far as improved attack goes. But then we followed that up with shit for a few weeks and it probably demolished the confidence of a lot of players to be kept scoreless and seemingly playing teams that weren't penalized against us. Judging by some of the negative attitudes of some on here after the third or fourth round if that had crept into even half the run on sides thinking by that stage we were in trouble.

I'm not yet a fan of Barrett. He's a good communicator, but at this stage his positive attitude seems to have evaporated (and I can't blame him). But if the coach is anticipating defeat that'll rub off on the players.

In some ways telling players they won't be around the club next year should fire them up to ensure they get a contract elsewhere. But I'm guessing the attitude of the players dropped right off after the early rounds even if it started well. getting told you're on the outer can easily turn a bit of a negative attitude into one where plenty of players are calling it in.
If he did tell they weren't wanted for next season, he probably thought that he was giving them a chance to prove him wrong & to earn a contract elsewhere, but it fell the wrong way. He may have been better off telling them that he was on the fence with them & give them a thought that there may be a chance of a new contract if they played well. He could always tell them half way through the season that they weren't going to be signed. But they seem to have been kicking stones from the get go.

And yes we were hard done by by the refs particularly early on with 1 penalty in almost 2 games. It's hard to play well when you feel you are being shafted by both the club you play for & the officials, but you also need to have pride in yourself & your family & do your best no matter what. And besides, your performances are on camera so you should want to at least look like you are trying.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My theory on Coaches in the NRL is a bit hit and miss in my book.. I feel there’s only a handful of “coaches” in Bennett, Bellamy and Robinson.. daylight after that.

Hasler was on the chopping block at Manly and Tommy Turbo’s return from injury has single handedly made him look like a genius.

Looking at Ricky Stuart’s roster, it’s sinful they are not in the 8.

Holbrook may not be the messiah coach everyone thought he was, he should be doing far better with the roster he has, he’s since regressed from 2020.

Kevvie’s failed at the Broncos deluxe and then there’s a few that have lost the dressing room…

TB by far has the weakest roster, he’s also had to deal with notable absentees which makes things more difficult. He can be a 10yr+ Coach for us, and that’s what we need (stability), but a lot hinges on 2022 - We should, however, be somewhat realistic about next year, if we improve to somewhere around 7th-10th that’a definitely a step in the right direction… 2023 nothing short of finals footy is acceptable for TB.

FZ1-S

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just a thought - Maybe some players wont improve or play to the best of their ability because a new coach has shown up and is putting an end to their free ride.
Katoa, Hopa, They just look dis-interested half the time and arent playing as team members.
Yet, the coach continues to select them, makes no sense.

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So you are telling me the players would play THIS badly under Bellamy?
If you play the hypothetical card, Bellamy wouldn’t take the job, our organisation from top to bottom was a complete mess, board to players and contracts, he’s been there for just over 1/2 a yr, I don’t think any coach would have made a huge difference at this point, I’d just say maybe Bellamy would have sacked everyone

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Need a defensive coach, attack depends much more on talent but defense can be taught, coached, developed. Defensive structures n coaching has failed. I hope tb recognise s that.