Official Trent Barrett to coach the Bulldogs for the next three seasons

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put me on the record

Barrett will take us to at least top 8 in his first year
Honestly why not. We are already looking like a different squad. New coach and coaching time. Thompson, Lafai and Cotric signed which is a very decent start. If Barrett signs at least 3 more players. I would go for a winger, hooker and a second rower and we are looking hot

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Also, our young halves have been coached by an old second rower. Players Cogger might reach their potential under a former good half.
I reckon it will be a massive mistake letting Cogger go. He's not elite level but he could certainly steer the side around whilst allowing someone like Burton to pick his moments. I recall someone saying Jack was told he's free to explore his options, hopefully that was pre Barrett and maybe Trent has a chat to him

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly why not. We are already looking like a different squad. New coach and coaching time. Thompson, Lafai and Cotric signed which is a very decent start. If Barrett signs at least 3 more players. I would go for a winger, hooker and a second rower and we are looking hot
Fullback, Half, Hooker, Edge Backrower and big middle man.

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He sounds laser focused and most importantly has a plan. He was impressive tonight with the way he spoke. I think troubles he had at Manly have made him a better coach. Good to hear him squash the doubters thinking he wouldn’t be building the Dogs rosters while he’s still at Penrith.
Impressive interview as stated.

A big takeaway for me was how he kept saying "We", as in the Bulldogs, so seamlessly already. Shows that in his mind he is already a Bulldog coach not a Panthers assistant coach.

He was a fan, his brother played for us, has some history with some of the old boys, favourite player Terry Lamb... a couple of loads worth of DNA there!

As a club we have a point to prove, as a coach he has a point to prove. Things are starting to look positive... just need to lock in an out and out 9 and a fearsome hit man!

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Impressive interview as stated.

A big takeaway for me was how he kept saying "We", as in the Bulldogs, so seamlessly already. Shows that in his mind he is already a Bulldog coach not a Panthers assistant coach.

He was a fan, his brother played for us, has some history with some of the old boys, favourite player Terry Lamb... a couple of loads worth of DNA there!

As a club we have a point to prove, as a coach he has a point to prove. Things are starting to look positive... just need to lock in an out and out 9 and a fearsome hit man!
I noticed that too. I remember Des never referred to 'we' but always used the 'dogs' or bulldogs. Even in the successful years. Barrett may not of played for the dogs but he clearly identifies as a dog. IMO, he made more sense and instilled me with more confidence in a 10 minute interview then Pay did in his entire tenure.

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
I noticed that too. I remember Des never referred to 'we' but always used the 'dogs' or bulldogs. Even in the successful years. Barrett may not of played for the dogs but he clearly identifies as a dog. IMO, he made more sense and instilled me with more confidence in a 10 minute interview then Pay did in his entire tenure.
2012 reverse 12 to 21 bit of a omen here

Good sign 2011 we didnt get the spoon

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah reackon the coach might have to put the boots on to fix our halves problems, prob fitter than foz
At least now we have direction. With Thompson, Cotric and Barrett we can sell ourselves better to other targets. I can't see us signing a half for next season but I'd like to hope that the club is negotiating with a few hookers already.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He spoke well in that segment. I'll judge his results next year, but it does give me a bit more confidence that he's going to have some success.

I think the key things for the club to do between now and when he begins as coach are #1 to recruit a competent list of support staff for him. With the current rules I think fitness is a key component and we need to ensure that we have a better group in place there. #2 is to keep plugging away on the recruitment front. I don't know how much money we have left, but we still have a couple of positions that need bolstering or outright upgrades in quality. It's probably a bit more difficult to identify youngsters who are demanding a shot in the NRL without the benefit of lower grades being played. So hopefully Barrett gets his hands on a lot of footage of the lower grade competition from the last year.

I honestly wouldn't have been chasing a semi rookie coach right now, but I'll wish him well and cross my fingers that he gets things right when he officially starts.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He actually used "they" the idiot

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I liked what Barrett said about surrounding himself with assistant coaches who cover what he's not the best at. The worst thing he did IMO at Manly was ban young Hastings from FG for good and bag him out publicly. Too harsh for a young bloke. But he still seemed to have the players with him at Manly when he was turfed which is a good sign, and seems to have thought about his mistakes (and improving) a lot.

I liked what I saw in the interview and the influence I assume he's having at Penrith. If he gets a bit of media in the next few months and keeps carrying himself that well, it won't hurt with attracting players.