News Trent Barrett promises Penrith he won’t leave until after 2020 grand final, amid Canterbury courtshi

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL
Trent Barrett promises Penrith he won’t leave until after 2020 grand final, amid Canterbury courtship

He might be Canterbury’s No.1 target to replace departed coach Dean Pay, but Trent Barrett says if he was to take up the Bulldogs job, he has unfinished business with the Panthers first.
David Riccio, Michael Carayannis and Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph

Trent Barrett has made a pact to Penrith that he’s staying to win this year’s premiership.​
The Bulldogs number one candidate to replace Dean Pay informed Penrith chairman Dave O‘Neill on Wednesday that if he is to join Canterbury, it wouldn’t be until after this year’s grand final.​
Barrett, 42, has been interviewed for the head coaching position at Canterbury, but is yet to be informed if he‘s got the job.​
Souths coach Wayne Bennett has also been linked with the Bulldogs post.​
It‘s believed Canterbury will wait until after Saturday’s clash with St George-Illawarra before announcing their decision.​
Interim coach Steve Georgallis will guide the Bulldogs this weekend.​
What‘s clear is that Barrett is in the Bulldogs’ direct line of sight with Canterbury management also seeking the opinion of former player and coach Phil Gould.​
Gould has offered his support for the appointment of the current Penrith assistant.​
Those close to Barrett are adamant he has learned immensely from his experience – both good and bad – at Manly where he was the head coach from 2016-2018.​
Barrett‘s success as Penrith’s attack coach is also a major lure for the Bulldogs, who have scored an average of 10.4 points this season.​
Penrith halfback Nathan Cleary admitted he didn‘t want Barrett to leave the foot of the mountains, but conceded his mentor was perfectly suited to a return to an NRL hot seat.​
“I wish he wouldn’t go,” Cleary said.​
“I have a good relationship with Baz (Barrett). He has a great footy mind. He would make a great coach. We will just have to see what happens.​
“I would love him to stay. He has given us a foundation. We love having Baz around. He has helped me so much. To lose someone like him would be a big loss to our team. He is easy to get along with.​
“He has a super smart footy brain and good to work with.”​
Barrett arrived for a second stint at the Panthers during the last off-season. The last time he was at the Panthers, Cleary was just a teenager rising through the ranks.​
“When I first worked with him, it was a long time ago,” Cleary said. “It was more a halfback academy. I was never coached by him. We were doing fundamental and tempo stuff. Now he has come back in a coaching aspect. He has been massive for me. He has given me a great deal of confidence.”​
Barrett has not been alone in helping ignite Penrith’s attack. The return of Api Koroisau plus the emergence of Stephen Crichton and Jarome Luai have also sparked a Penrith side who are averaging seven points more per game than last year.​
“It was always there,” Cleary said.​
“We had the players to do it. We had a few different players come in. We’re finding the right mix. (Barrett) has given us some foundations to build off. It has suited our team. We still have a long way to go. Baz has been a massive asset.”​

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So now its gone from certain Trent Barrett to maybe Wayne Bennett lol

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
The good thing is that this means we have time to sound out all options. There is no need to rush into signing a coach, especially when this year is lost.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The good thing is that this means we have time to sound out all options. There is no need to rush into signing a coach, especially when this year is lost.
Unfortunately there is a rush. Players want to know who’s the coach before they sign with us.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wonder how this will work.
If you're signing up a new coach, you would think that he would assemble the team he wants and therefore be a part of the discussions with the new recruits and it would be now, this year. Bit weird if he's still at the Panfers for another 6months?

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Trent Barrent hasn't signed why is he promising Penrith he won't leave until they win the GF???? Why would he promise that if he hasn't already signed?

And then the article goes on about Bennett?

Seriously, journalism like this is would Frillingos rolling over in his grave.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Come early and have a go with this godlike roster Barrett, come on...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So this article 45 on Barrett today and it told is everything they've already mentioned previously over and over again. Cool...

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I dont want bennet hes lost his edge and cant win in rebuilding clubs
sick of this c***s name coming up no thanks stay where he is in his burrow where he belongs .

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Trent Barrent hasn't signed why is he promising Penrith he won't leave until they win the GF???? Why would he promise that if he hasn't already signed?

And then the article goes on about Bennett?

Seriously, journalism like this is would Frillingos rolling over in his grave.
Oh man I forgot about Frillingos. He would be on the Mount Rushmore of gasbag hack journalists.