Trent Barrett - Mega thread

Reaction score
Why? It’s something different
i'm all for something different, but this was just all kinds of stupid.
it was something you'd expect from an under 14's coach. even if there was no dropped ball it wasn't fooling anyone, didn't really leave the opposition guessing which way the ball was gonna go.
i just think if you're gonna form up like that you better be having something decent to roll with

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We won 3 games out of 20 last year. Name one player who has gone backwards ???

I expected Baz and the club to do better but to say our players have gone backwards under him is wrong.

Everyone bagged Penrith today for not being to their normal standard. But I actually think we had a decent game plan. Better than South’s game plan against them last week.
What’s your point, last year 3 wins in 20 games, points diff -222

This year, 1 win from 11 games, points diff -200 already, so yeah it’s looking worse

Players gone backwards, are u serious,
Elliott
Meaney
Hopoate
Dwz
Doorey to a certain extent, have all gone backwards to name a few

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Barrett probably could have kept in on, is my understanding? At a lower rate? Not 100% sure. In any case, he wasn’t in Barrett’s plans.
onviously because we had Burton coming and I’m sure he was confident Penrith would release him early considering the good relationship he had with them.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s your point, last year 3 wins in 20 games, points diff -222

This year, 1 win from 11 games, points diff -200 already, so yeah it’s looking worse

Players gone backwards, are u serious,
Elliott
Meaney
Hopoate
Dwz
Doorey to a certain extent, have all gone backwards to name a few
Are you serious ??

Hoppa has been shit for 3 years. Elliott and Meaney are no worse.

DWZ played the fuckin ball facing the wrong way last year but he is worse this year ?? He actually got dropped last year from a team running last.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If our players could actually realise when they run at the line they are expected to catch a flat ball, we could have scored more and conceded less.

It’s easy to say “just throw it around” but anyone can see we don’t have the skill to pull it off. Jake’s kicking in the first half was pretty good mostly, but in the 2nd half he was kicking out of defence the whole time due to good Pennies pressure.

I like most hoped things would turn around in 2021, but it’s evident there is still too much dead wood in the squad. Here’s hoping cutting most of the numpty 15 will make 2022 a much better year

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has FAILED to adapt to the modern game.
Watch every game and you will see every team is copying each other in attack except us.
Every team is using and moving the ball mostly on tackle 4 even if they are on the half way.
Failure of a coach.
The only chance we have of winning games is if every team copies our attack

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
These players are incapable of doing much more than what they did today..

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Im sure Barrett is good tactically but we should be playing better than we are.

It’s one thing to implement tactics but you have to instill something into the players and team other than tactics.
It doesn’t look like our motivation, drive, energy etc has changed.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
In his first year he had Morris brothers, Klemmer, mbye, Foran, Eastwood etc….
We had players moving on during the season, Mbye was probably our best player (whatever that tells you) up until moving to the Tigers. Woods was the other player that moved on, not sure about anyone else. There was a fair bit happening behind the scenes. We didn't make the 8 in 2017 under Des who is/was a top coach. We were already on the decline and with our added salary cap F up... I don't think I need to go on really. I believe Pay overachieved in his tenure. I have no reason to support him, I didn't want to sign him when we did (big reason why I joined the forums because a lot of things happening didn't make sense to me). Our roster is garbage (comparing to other NRL teams). I don't blame either Pay or Barrett.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We had players moving on during the season, Mbye was probably our best player (whatever that tells you) up until moving to the Tigers. Woods was the other player that moved on, not sure about anyone else. There was a fair bit happening behind the scenes. We didn't make the 8 in 2017 under Des who is/was a top coach. We were already on the decline and with our added salary cap F up... I don't think I need to go on really. I believe Pay overachieved in his tenure. I have no reason to support him, I didn't want to sign him when we did (big reason why I joined the forums because a lot of things happening didn't make sense to me).
He still had experienced players

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A legend who jumped ship to parra lol
GTD has had it in for Barrett for 6 weeks now at least and he ain't fuckin alone from what i've seen, far from it.

I couldn't coach a league team of any reasonable level to save my life so i don't critique what i don't know, plus what is going in behind the scenes none of us know(although some think nothing worthwhile i cannot believe this is the case).Baz gets good coin yes but he isn't in this for ego or self importance that's just BS..if this doesn't work he is finished as a head coach.
While i think he is up for the challenge i wouldn't mind betting part of him now is thinking i could be sitting in the chair next to Vonny(likely fending off her advances lol)showing up these other quinces and doing so for plenty of cash week in week out with zero stress, why do you think he hasn't taken that route? I'm assuming because he wants to be a successful coach, he wants the challenge.Although i bet he didn't appreciate we were so devoid of decent FG players.

What i do reckon i know is that all the negatories(even if your partly right or it may be proven mostly right about the state of the coaching)are going to have to suck it up for roughly another 12 months so it's maybe time to start dealing with that?...IF we're still shithouse and underperforming etc etc like we are now or close to it i'll be there calling for change too.
Until then Baz isn't going anywhere it will still take some games next year for Burts and co. to get us moving in the direction we want and for me that is fair, clearly we would want/probably demand to be winning games on end by mid next season and be contending for a top 8 spot.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I was laughing at Hasler earlier in the year, now that **** is in the 8 and we are stuck with another ex-Manly dud.
Same! That team was shit though until Turbo came back from injury - maybe with a hooker , prop and a fullback we could be a very different team?