Trent Barrett inspires players with ‘simple’ approach to coaching

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL 2021: Trent Barrett inspires players with ‘simple’ approach to coaching

Trent Barrett showed at the Panthers and now at the Bulldogs he isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty to ensure his message gets across — and it’s an approach his players love.

Follow @mcarayannis
March 19, 2021 - 6:54PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Trent Barrett liked to show the Panthers halves how to do it. With his chiselled physique and his ageless skills, the ex-Penrith assistant coach would jump into drills and teach the likes of Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai by showing them how he wanted them to play.

“One time he did his groin,” Luai said with a laugh. “I held that against him if he ever wanted to jump in again I would always say to him ‘don’t tear that groin again’.

“He was very hands on. The Bulldogs boys would vouch for me I’m sure when I say he could still play if he wanted. He grabbed the footy a few times last year and you could see how good he was and how good he still is.

Trent Barrett would jump into drills at training at Penrith last year to get his message across to players. Picture: Brett Costello

Trent Barrett would jump into drills at training at Penrith last year to get his message across to players. Picture: Brett Costello

“He said ‘you’re not doing it right – this is how you have to do it’. It was easy for me to learn.

“He knew what type of player I was – being a 100 miles an hour. He told me to slow down a bit, let the ball come to me and depth is very good especially near their line. That’s something I’ll always carry on throughout my career.

“You could see the impact he had on our attack last year compared to previous years.”

Panthers co-captain Isaah Yeo said Barrett looked like a “sniper got him” during the pre-season training drill last year when he went down.

Yeo credits the time he spent with Barrett in helping evolve his game.

“He instils a lot of confidence in his players,” Yeo said.

“He added a pass to my game. He would make plays up for us the week we were playing someone. More often than not it would be the first play we’d run at them and it would work.

“He would be grinning like a Cheshire cat in the coaches box and they would all be patting him on the back.

“Trent will have them fired up for it. He’ll want to get one over us.”

Trent Barrett helped Nathan Cleary take his game to a new level last season. Picture: Brett Costello

Trent Barrett helped Nathan Cleary take his game to a new level last season. Picture: Brett Costello

While Barrett’s impact will be long lasting at the Panthers there is no doubt his defection to the Bulldogs caused strain on some relationships. His successful pursuit of Matt Burton and Jack Hetherington plus the chasing of Stephen Crichton, Charlie Staines and Spencer Leniu added to the angst at the foot of the mountains.

Burton’s ongoing contract stand-off has created more fire to the game’s newest rivalry. Hetherington describes Barrett as the “most involved coach” he has had.

Bulldogs skipper Josh Jackson remembered one of Barrett’s first addresses to the club.

“He wanted us to be calm, really organised and successful,” Jackson said.

“He picks things out in the game and sees things I don’t. He explains them really well. In terms of putting that into action in the game plan, he makes it really simple for the players.

Jack Hetherington followed Trent Barrett to the Bulldogs this season. Picture: Getty Images

Jack Hetherington followed Trent Barrett to the Bulldogs this season. Picture: Getty Images

“There is nothing there that’s overly complicated. He has a very clear vision and what he wanted us to do and how he wanted us to look.”

Hooker Jeremy Marshall-King watched on as Barrett sparked the Panthers in attack last year. Injury ruled him out of their round-one loss to Newcastle but Marshall-King said people would notice a difference in his style of play having worked closely with Barrett during the pre-season.

“He has helped with my skill and running game,” Marshall-King said.

“I can’t wait to go out there and let the fans see that.

“Over the last couple of years, I haven’t been running as much as I’d like to. If I want to run, run. Don’t second-guess it, that’s what he has told me.

“The fans haven’t been happy with my running game, I’ve seen it but I know it’s definitely coming this year.”

Trent Barrett has had immediate impact on the Bulldogs’ players.

Trent Barrett has had immediate impact on the Bulldogs’ players.
While Barrett has dominated headlines in the lead-up to the clash, Penrith are also wary of another ex-Panther in Hetherington.

Yeo and Hetherington were once housemates with the Panthers lock praising Hetherington’s spaghetti bolognaise.

“He is the most loyal bloke, if you ever needed anything or were in trouble he would be there,” Yeo said. “He has that crazy side that you see on that footy side but if he respects you he will do anything for you.”

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nice to read a story regarding Baz and old Panthers players, that has fu king othing to do with Burton. Lol

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are people seriously starting to whinge about there being too many articles abouthte Dogs? Fuck me. I'm just happy it's positive for a change.

We all need to take a step back and be a little patient with the whole process. Barrett and the club have been open about this transition needing time.

Personally it's nice seeing pictures of Barrett. Sexy fucking beast he is. And don't get me started on his voice. Wet in seconds as soon as I hear him.

Pull your head in if you've had enough of his pictures and his talking.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fucking how good would it be if he played in the 9s with the boys haha

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Barrett is a unit compared to some of these players today lol

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve never liked jmk but those comments have exited me a little lol
I hope he has a massive year but I still don’t want to resign him.
Nasheed here,
Notsure we have met but my name is Nasheed as per introduction. or 'Sheed for short.

The problem is, now that JMK has said that, the Panthers will probably know exactly what JMK's game plan is yo because they know Barrett well and how he plays.
JMK should have probably not said much to keep the Panthers guessing.

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
anyone else on the fence of wishing we win and just fucking them up?

just want to belt these posers, scoreboard doesnt matter to me

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Notsure we have met but my name is Nasheed as per introduction. or 'Sheed for short.

The problem is, now that JMK has said that, the Panthers will probably know exactly what JMK's game plan is yo because they know Barrett well and how he plays.
JMK should have probably not said much to keep the Panthers guessing.
'Sheed I like it.