Trent Barrett eyes Scott Drinkwater in Bulldogs overhaul

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A host have already been told their futures lie elsewhere
I don’t believe our management has told any player that so early into the season.
Just false propaganda to destabilise our club and cause rift.
TB is smart enough to understand telling a player that news would cause disinterest.
Yep and JK confirmed as such a couple of days ago. No doubt there’s discussions but not with the players (yet) - and with the transfer window pushed back to 1 August there may be a switch late this year. Players being released for next year would typically be told around July. It’s too early.

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Transfer Market: Trent Barrett eyes Scott Drinkwater in Bulldogs overhaul

Trent Barrett is making a statement at Canterbury, putting a broom through the battling Bulldogs as he targets a North Queensland star.

Travis Meyn
and
Peter Badel

Canterbury coach Trent Barrett has put a broom through Belmore, with 16 players facing uncertain NRL futures as the Bulldogs weigh up a bid for Cowboys livewire Scott Drinkwater.

The Sunday Mail understands a host of Bulldogs players are facing the axe at the battling NRL club as Barrett sets about rebuilding Belmore.

The Bulldogs have 16 players out of their top 30 squad off-contract this year – including ex-Origin stars Dylan Napa and Will Hopoate – and a host have already been told their futures lie elsewhere.

The Sunday Mail has been told at least one Canterbury player believes the instability in the squad’s ranks has contributed to the Bulldogs’ shocking start to 2021.

The Bulldogs are the only team without a win this year heading into Sunday’s Round 6 clash with the Cowboys at Queensland Country Bank Stadium.

Barrett is making huge changes to the club and the former Kangaroos five-eighth has his eye on the skilful Drinkwater.

Drinkwater produced one of his best performances of the season in North Queensland’s drought-breaking win against Wests Tigers last weekend.

The Cowboys are in talks to re-sign Drinkwater, but he has received interest from multiple rivals, according to manager Chris Orr.

“I have been in negotiations with the Cowboys for a few weeks and ‘Drinky’ is a player they wish to keep,” Orr said.

“Four clubs have expressed interest in ‘Drinky’, including a few from Sydney, but his preference is to stay at the Cowboys if we can work something out.
“He was very good against the Tigers last week so Drinky showed he can be a good option for the Cowboys in the halves, especially if he links with a game manager at halfback.
“Every team needs a balance within their halves combination. One needs to be a game manager and the other an X-factor and Drinky brings the X-factor to the team.”

The Cowboys have also had a poor start to the season, but are set to welcome back captain Jason Taumalolo from a broken hand for the Bulldogs game.

North Queensland is in the mix to sign disgruntled South Sydney halfback Adam Reynolds following the injury-forced retirement of Michael Morgan.

The Cowboys have struggled to find a halfback since Johnathan Thurston‘s retirement in 2018 and Reynolds could be the answer to their problems.

Drinkwater, 23, isn’t interested in a shift to the No. 7 jersey and said he wanted to become a more consistent player.

“Maybe not with the seven on my back, I’m more of a six,” he said.

“I’m not really a dominant seven. I’d rather play six and be a second-phase player and play more eyes up and roam around.

“I need to be consistent. There is a big difference between my worst and best game. I need to produce seven-out-of-ten games every week.

“For me to be able to play some good footy and show some good attack we need to hold on to the ball so we’re fresh and not fatigued.

“The more we can hold the ball, the better it is for our spine players to get involved and take on tired, lazy defenders.”

The Cowboys got the monkey off their back against the Tigers in what was coach Todd Payten’s first win at the helm of North Queensland.

The Bulldogs present a golden opportunity for the Cowboys to make it back-to-back victories.

“We are confident after a good win,” Drinkwater said.

“They’re going to come up here all guns blazing. They’re 0-5 to start the season.

“We were 0-4 last week and had a lot to play for so we’re expecting an energetic Bulldogs team.”
Is it April fools day. Signing him would be like re-signing mbye. Dumb dumb dumb

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Drink water is actually a very skillful player but I agree he is not what we need right now.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
He would be a great backup, able to play anywhere in the backline or halves, but dont see him leaving a starting position to be a backup

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep and JK confirmed as such a couple of days ago. No doubt there’s discussions but not with the players (yet) - and with the transfer window pushed back to 1 August there may be a switch late this year. Players being released for next year would typically be told around July. It’s too early.
Yes DD July sounds about the right time taking all things into consideration.
A big factor is weather the team starts winning games,if they don’t we can only assume that certain players will be spending time in reserve grade which might jolt them into form.
Its way too early to be dropping their heads.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Trent likes knitting?
I’d never have picked that Dave :-).
Listen Barrett could stuff this joint up with signings like this Lyndsay Collins will be a superstar in the making,time to put a big offer in

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knowing our clubs luck Burton & JAC will play like shit when they arrive.
I fear that too. Can't remember a signing in recent memory who has produced on par or better than their form at their previous clubs. Luke Thompson currently has the potential to be what we know he's capable of. The rest have been slightly underwhelming.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knowing our clubs luck Burton & JAC will play like shit when they arrive.
I don't see that happening. Burton is all class. You don't lose that overnight. His kicking game, passing game, step, vision will still be on show regardless of who he plays for. Also he's young and hungry so he'll be eyeing a big pay day and playing Origin one day.

JAC's best attribute is his speed so unless he does an ACL and loses hsi speed, he'll also be a gun for us.

The guns don't usually play bad when they switch clubs. The problem for us is we haven't signed any healthy guns for as long as I can remember

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am just saying, they come to a club that isn't the best ATM & their performance morph into how the others are playing.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't see that happening. Burton is all class. You don't lose that overnight. His kicking game, passing game, step, vision will still be on show regardless of who he plays for. Also he's young and hungry so he'll be eyeing a big pay day and playing Origin one day.

JAC's best attribute is his speed so unless he does an ACL and loses hsi speed, he'll also be a gun for us.

The guns don't usually play bad when they switch clubs. The problem for us is we haven't signed any healthy guns for as long as I can remember
Cotric.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Cotric hasn’t been bad at all. Apart from the couple errors the rest has been unchanged
Couple of errors? He leads the NRL for errors, most of them unforced. He has had a few good carries but overall I'd say he has been underwhelming. Playing him at centre hasn't helped but I still expected to see more from him.