News Trent Barrett extremely disappointed by defensive effort despite Bulldogs finally crossing for points

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett refused to be drawn into positives around his side finally crossing for points after their 52-18 loss to the Melbourne Storm.

When Luke Thompson crossed for the Bulldogs in the first half, there was a massive sigh of relief around Stadium Australia.

After three straight matches without scoring a point, the Bulldogs got on the board arguably against the most unlikely of opponents, the 2020 title-winning Storm.
By the final whistle, however, that joy was quickly forgotten as the Bulldogs became the first side to concede 50 points this season.
The signs of improvement were certainly there for the Bulldogs, especially in attack.

The return of Luke Thompson was a major factor, with the English international running for 139 metres.

However, Barrett wasn't going to sit back and be happy with a few tries on the board.

The Storm ran in nine tries and Barrett was left particularly unimpressed with how his side switched off towards the end of both halves.

"We’ve got to look at where it went wrong, certainly not happy with the end scoreline," Barrett said post-match.

"Definitely after half time, I thought we showed some real resolve to come out and do what we did. I thought in our patches our attack certainly improved a hell of a lot.

"[But] I wasn’t happy with some individual efforts defensively in that first half, I thought that was poor and put us under too much pressure.

"Two tries just before half time and two at the death, that’s 24 points. We can’t do that.

"Unfortunately tonight, our attack wasn’t our problem. That first half, we had some defensive efforts on our line that weren’t up to scratch.

"Whilst I can sugarcoat over that, I’m not going to cop it. We’ve got to fix that and we’ve got to start putting whole games together."

Barrett admitted that a lot of work during the week has gone into fixing their attack which could suggest why they looked a lot sharper against the Storm.

Five-eighth Jake Averillo in particular was singled out by his coach as having a huge influence on the game.

"He was very good, I want him to run the ball and he’s still only very young, he wouldn’t be up to ten first grade games," Barrett said.

"I think for his confidence, he’s quick and he can change the tempo of games for us which is what we need.

"Our inability to score points in that three week period was there for everyone to see and we did work hard on that.

"But the big thing is how we’ve got to build pressure, but I guess we really need to narrow down the two or three things each week we need to improve.

"We are what we are, we have to keep working hard."

The Bulldogs have their best chance to finally secure a victory when they take on the winless Cowboys next Sunday in Townsville.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I do like the way TBAZ goes about things and doesn’t make excuses, sees it how it is and wants to be better.. he will do ok,yet To be seen BUT next year is when you can really start judging him as a FG coach, I am happy to see what he can do with a few astute signings. He took on the impossible, after many left this club in utter disarray.. yes it’s a rebuild. And yes I believe he can do it.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s difficult.

His (Barrett’s) current decisions need to be judged for what they are, irrespective of a so called “rebuild”. 5 games in, and we have lost all 5...it’s not just that, it’s more that we have never really been competitive. Each game has become a foregone conclusion - this is bad for business, supporters etc.

Good coaches can leverage the talent and players at their disposal. Can’t deny the squad has regressed, with some rep quality players purchased. I think many would agree, the squad seemed stronger than last year prior to game one. These players need to be improving - unfortunately for Barrett, he is not having an impact.

Attitude and culture appears poor.

Who/what do we put it down to?

I see tonight many taking aim at Furner (defensive coach)....what about Barrett?

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He's the coach, fix the fucking defensive structures.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s difficult.

His (Barrett’s) current decisions need to be judged for what they are, irrespective of a so called “rebuild”. 5 games in, and we have lost all 5...it’s not just that, it’s more that we have never really been competitive. Each game has become a foregone conclusion - this is bad for business, supporters etc.

Good coaches can leverage the talent and players at their disposal. Can’t deny the squad has regressed, with some rep quality players purchased. I think many would agree, the squad seemed stronger than last year prior to game one. These players need to be improving - unfortunately for Barrett, he is not having an impact.

Attitude and culture appears poor.

Who/what do we put it down to?

I see tonight many taking aim at Furner (defensive coach)....what about Barrett?
Yeh, our round 1 team looked pretty good with our new signings, I think most of us never saw this coming, I thought we'd be playing a lot better than this.

I think I agree with you about Barrett not having a good enough impact on the performance but it's hard to really say from the outside looking in,
We're lacking personnel but our attack looks disjointed and lacking creativity, somethings wrong because Allen looks half the player he was last year, Hopoate has never looked this bad, Atoni is not having the impact he did 18 months ago, Cotric is not playing as well as he did at Canberra, Flanagans not playing well
Can we blame Barrett? I don't know, but if he's made a lot of changes it's going to take a bit of time I guess?

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe don't start Napa and Hetherington where you have two, dumb, lazy and ill disciplined props out there at the same time? Maybe drop Katoa who gets lazier by the second?

Maybe start Thompson and Topine who are your hungriest players that have line speed and are good defenders to start the game off better?

Maybe finally drop players like Hoppa, Waddell etc who are missing tackles every game?

Sorry Baz, but you need to coach better on this one and look in the mirror.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I’d probably refuse being drawn into positives after being on the wrong end of a 52-18 scoreline also. What a headline.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our first game against the Knights I think we played alright but the reffing in that game was atrocious! And did not help us at all.

Since then we've played 3 probable top 4 sides and one terrible game against similarly skilled side.

I still have hope that we will improve as the season goes on, not necessarily a top 8 finish, but we will be better for it next year.

We are a young side, with everything to gain atm.

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
He needs to clear all these ***** end of year

Dwz surely warriors/ tigers / sharks would take him

Atoni last chance to do something or sign for a low contract and run your soft runs in reserves

These ***** have nothing to offer
Jmk this **** has nothing
Hopa
Napa
Ogden
Skatoa
Meaney
Britt
Romanous
C Crichton
Stimson trade him

Keep
Okunbor if his cheap, will probably sign elsewhere
T katoa 1 year is getting better good cover
Lewis keep another year or 2 if he wants to re sign
C smith 1 year for cover

Hopefully flano , allan gone next year with early releases ..

Waddel and flano are big fuck ups