Trent Barrett: Dean Pay weighs in on latest Canterbury Bulldogs coach to leave club

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I agree he had an inferior roster, just adding he bears responsibility for that poor roster too.

And you're the laugher yoga therapist !
Oops, I forgot to delete my aborted post.....lol. As the laughter yoga therapist, I have to say Baz was the first coach to take me seriously. But yeah, I know Pay made some clangers. not trying to deny that.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay is to smart to consider coming back. But he did a better job with an inferior roster.
Inferior roster? Yes and No to be honest. Pay did have a squad who had played together for a number of years from the Des era.
He did have the two Morris twins and Klemmer in 2018, Foran who played half his games but was good when he played, Hoppa was experienced and fell away badly later on in 2020. RFM at least played some games back then, Josh Jackson was younger 4 years ago and didn't look busted like he does now, CHN did really well for us. Reimis Smith & Meaney were much better than the junk we have now in Dufty & Naden. I guess you could argue this both ways. Pay didn't have an open cheque book like Barrett had to be fair on Pay. But in saying all this both coaches had no idea and were out of there depth and had to go. Both dug their own grave with some poor recruits like Flanno & Napa etc. My verdict Pay was better but not by much.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Both need to go fishing at the North Pole

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Thinking about a seance to get Bullfrog and Folkes opinions.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone saying that Pay did a better job doesn’t remember that the 6 again rule only started in 2020, where he won 3 games, and we only avoided the spoon because Broncos were worse.

They’re both bad coaches, and they’re both gone now, so there’s no point arguing who was better.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This folks is what we call a good old fashioned pile on!

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dean Pay has issued a subtle warning to the next man brave enough to take on the head coaching job at the Canterbury Bulldogs.
Pay took time out from his job driving machinery to speak with The Daily Telegraph in the wake of Trent Barrett’s shock exit from the club.

Barrett is the third coach in five years to be let go at the Bulldogs after following Pay and Des Hasler out the door.

Pay made a point of saying “I don’t want to sound bitter”.

But the proud former Bulldog also struggled to hide his true feelings when asked if he thought he got a fair go during his stint coaching the troubled club.

“Do you?” Pay responded to the question.

Told no, Pay continued: “Whether I thought I got a fair crack or not, it is not up to me.

“It doesn’t matter because I am not the one doing the hiring or firing. It is out of our hands. It is out of Trent Barrett’s hands.

“I probably look back on it now by saying there is people in the club there that didn’t think I could do the job.

“And that was their opinion, and they had the power and that is why I had to go.”

Asked what advice he would give to the next man walking through the door to sit behind the same desk, Pay added: “That’s a good question.

“The only advice I could say is what I just said to you.

Dean Pay in his new job.

“That there are people there that didn’t think I could do the job.

“And obviously they are still there now, and they didn’t think Trent could do the job either.”

With that Pay paused, before continuing: “I don’t want to sound bitter about it.

“It is two years gone.

“I would rather just leave it.”

It’s worth noting that like Barrett, Pay made the decision to go before he was pushed.

But he did so with one armed twisted behind his back.

At the time he also had a far better strike rate than Barrett.

Pay’s winning strike rate was 33.3 per cent compared to Barrett’s 12.5 per cent.

Pay was also hamstrung by a salary cap that was in a diabolical mess when he took over. And just as he started to see some clear skies he was sent packing to make way for Barrett.

Pay said he spends his time these days working machinery and planning for some long vacations with his wife.

"We bought a caravan the other day,” he said.

“Me and the old girl are going to go doing some caravanning.

“We’ve already planned a few things.”

Asked if he missed the footy, he continued: “I still watch it.

“I still watch Stick’s team (Ricky Stuart’s Canberra Raiders). Steve Antonelli is at Souths so I take a bit of interest there.

“I spent some time with some good people along the way.

“There is lots of good people.

“I am not bitter about the game or anything like that.”

Asked if he missed coaching, he laughed again: “Not that much."

Last edited:

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not saying Pay is our answer moving forward, he clearly isn't. But how can you possibly argue that our roster wasn't inferior when he was here?
He had a senior half in Foran, Hoppa performing well for a year, SOO klemmer for a year, tolman, JJ when he was good, Josh Morris NZ rep RFM. Much better than what Baz had last year. This year is on par. But Foran is the key difference.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was inferior but at the same time Pay chose some of that roster and others of that roster he decided to re-sign.

Don't forget if it was up to Pay we'd still have Lewis and Josh Reynolds on our books too
And recruited Napa, Clay priest, Chricton etc

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay seems like a loyal bloke, doesn’t want to drag up the past and go over things again even though the media are looking for click bait.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dean Pay has issued a subtle warning to the next man brave enough to take on the head coaching job at the Canterbury Bulldogs.
Pay took time out from his job driving machinery to speak with The Daily Telegraph in the wake of Trent Barrett’s shock exit from the club.

Barrett is the third coach in five years to be let go at the Bulldogs after following Pay and Des Hasler out the door.

Pay made a point of saying “I don’t want to sound bitter”.

But the proud former Bulldog also struggled to hide his true feelings when asked if he thought he got a fair go during his stint coaching the troubled club.

“Do you?” Pay responded to the question.

Told no, Pay continued: “Whether I thought I got a fair crack or not, it is not up to me.

“It doesn’t matter because I am not the one doing the hiring or firing. It is out of our hands. It is out of Trent Barrett’s hands.

“I probably look back on it now by saying there is people in the club there that didn’t think I could do the job.

“And that was their opinion, and they had the power and that is why I had to go.”

Asked what advice he would give to the next man walking through the door to sit behind the same desk, Pay added: “That’s a good question.

“The only advice I could say is what I just said to you.

Dean Pay in his new job.

“That there are people there that didn’t think I could do the job.

“And obviously they are still there now, and they didn’t think Trent could do the job either.”

With that Pay paused, before continuing: “I don’t want to sound bitter about it.

“It is two years gone.

“I would rather just leave it.”

It’s worth noting that like Barrett, Pay made the decision to go before he was pushed.

But he did so with one armed twisted behind his back.

At the time he also had a far better strike rate than Barrett.

Pay’s winning strike rate was 33.3 per cent compared to Barrett’s 12.5 per cent.

Pay was also hamstrung by a salary cap that was in a diabolical mess when he took over. And just as he started to see some clear skies he was sent packing to make way for Barrett.

Pay said he spends his time these days working machinery and planning for some long vacations with his wife.

"We bought a caravan the other day,” he said.

“Me and the old girl are going to go doing some caravanning.

“We’ve already planned a few things.”

Asked if he missed the footy, he continued: “I still watch it.

“I still watch Stick’s team (Ricky Stuart’s Canberra Raiders). Steve Antonelli is at Souths so I take a bit of interest there.

“I spent some time with some good people along the way.

“There is lots of good people.

“I am not bitter about the game or anything like that.”

Asked if he missed coaching, he laughed again: “Not that much."

What language does Pay speak?
I thought T Ballz’s conference’s we’re repeated dribble… I forgot how bad Pay’s were!
His favourite line “What it is, is what it is”