Travel Stories (seeing that we can’t)

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to CES in Las Vegas in 2010.
After the show I was going on to Washington DC.
Got the red-eye out of Vegas. I was wearing my Wallabies scarf as it was January and cold at night.
Plane took off and I nodded off.
Next thing I know, a crew member woke me and asked if I could help.
'What with?' I asked.
'Disruptive Passenger'
I walked up the aisle with them and some dude had taken something and was going nuts, punching the window and the seat next to him.
I asked what they wanted me to do and they said they needed help restraining him until they could get the proper restraints and had to protect the passengers around him. I was a bit reluctant in case he started biting or anything, but being in the air he had to be stopped. Another bloke offered to help so we grabbed his arms and legs, got him into the aisle and on the ground. I used my Wallaby scarf to tie his legs and stop him kicking and the other bloke had his arms. The crew came back with proper restraints and the Captain by that stage had come out and once old mate was secured the Captain made the decision to keep going rather than go back to Vegas. Old mate was locked into a spare seat away from other passengers and after hurling abuse for a while he eventually passed out.
The crew offered me and the other guy a seat in first class for the rest of the trip so that was worth it.
The last I saw was the DC cops came onboard to grab this fella when we landed and took him away before anyone else was allowed off.
Yes, I got my Wallaby scarf back.
Never a dull moment!
Brilliant.. love it

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I went to CES in Las Vegas in 2010.
After the show I was going on to Washington DC.
Got the red-eye out of Vegas. I was wearing my Wallabies scarf as it was January and cold at night.
Plane took off and I nodded off.
Next thing I know, a crew member woke me and asked if I could help.
'What with?' I asked.
'Disruptive Passenger'
I walked up the aisle with them and some dude had taken something and was going nuts, punching the window and the seat next to him.
I asked what they wanted me to do and they said they needed help restraining him until they could get the proper restraints and had to protect the passengers around him. I was a bit reluctant in case he started biting or anything, but being in the air he had to be stopped. Another bloke offered to help so we grabbed his arms and legs, got him into the aisle and on the ground. I used my Wallaby scarf to tie his legs and stop him kicking and the other bloke had his arms. The crew came back with proper restraints and the Captain by that stage had come out and once old mate was secured the Captain made the decision to keep going rather than go back to Vegas. Old mate was locked into a spare seat away from other passengers and after hurling abuse for a while he eventually passed out.
The crew offered me and the other guy a seat in first class for the rest of the trip so that was worth it.
The last I saw was the DC cops came onboard to grab this fella when we landed and took him away before anyone else was allowed off.
Yes, I got my Wallaby scarf back.
Never a dull moment!
Loved everything except the wannabes scarf lol

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
A cool Ibiza story I can remember is going to DC10 back when it didn’t have a roof on the terrace and because it’s at the end of the airport you can almost touch the wheels of the planes landing. Anyway I’m dancing away in the crowd and look over and it’s PDiddy or what every he calls himself these day about a meter away just having a boogie and enjoying himself. Wasn’t even a cock head just enjoying the vibe with everyone else and people just left him alone let him dance.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn’t have to be you it can also be a “friend”
Ahem yes "a friend"

As long as it's ok to change a few immaterial facts to throw off anyone that was actually there in attendance .. I don't want others sworn to secrecy to somehow read such stories and call me out on a few of them for "telling". ie change of seemingly irrelevant details to throw off others, there was three of us present rather than four etc. Happened at night rather than morning etc. No change to the fabric of the story

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A quick gold coast story.. I had a big night a woke up in my hotel to a girl sitting on my bed I'd never met before ... My mates met her and her friends and the rest of them were talking in lounge area of apartment. She starts giving me a neck massage and ended up sleeping with her. Then she just left

A few days later, we were in hotel and my mate said he run out of toilet paper and if I could go get some. I went a level down and knocked on that same girls door.. I said my mate is on toilet and don't have any toilet paper, could you spare a roll.. she giggles and said your not here for toilet paper .. pulls me in and we are going at it again. Then as we are doing it, her friend walks in and just chit chats to both of us whilst we were doing it. Standing on edge of bed watching my arse. I was thinking "do I ask her to join?" Will I offend the girl I'm already doing?

After a while she leaves and after we were done I asked her what was with your friend? She said oh we used to be a bit of an item (lesbians) and she would have liked to join in... Damn if I would have known?

About 40 minutes later I get back to my hotel, my mate screams out you got the toilet paper? Oh I forgot.. :grinning: I had to go out again to get from reception.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I got robbed in Istanbul.
I was there for work and it happened to co-incide with Anzac Day - I was in the last group at Gallipoli in 2005 where booze was allowed to pass the time during the overnight stay until the dawn service. We gave the Efes Pilseners a good nudge but wanted to be respectful for the service.
That was a bucket list item, I do recommend it if you can make it to Anzac Day at Gallipoli.
Had a good time with two Aussies who were there who were living in London at the time.

After that was over it was back to Istanbul.
Decided to go for a walk one night.
I made the fortuitous decision to leave everything (wallet, phone, camera, passport, watch) in the hotel and just took USD200 cash.
Out walking I got approached by these 'friendly' locals who asked if I was in town for Anzac and what was I doing tonight.
Ended up getting 'invited' to drinks.
Before I knew it they 'ran into' other friends and I was surrounded and pretty much hustled into this bar and then the doors closed.
Girls appeared, a maître d' in a tux and drinks including champagne and cocktails.
I knew something was up and the 'friends' started arguing in Turkish.
I said I was out of there and the maître d' said I had to pay the drinks bill first - USD3000.
I said feel free to search me - no credit cards, no valuables. He took the USD200 and let me out a side door as the commotion continued.
I hightailed it back to the hotel. Adrenaline was pumping but when I calmed down it was obvious the whole thing was choreographed.
I called a local colleague who said that sort of stuff is pretty common and they probably did the same thing 5 or 6 times that night.
He said don't bother reporting it to Police because they're probably in on it.

Other than that I've been very lucky in my travels, haven't had much bad luck and it didn't turn me off Turkey which I loved and have visited twice since.

Fast forward to Anzac Day 2006. I'm playing 2-Up at Darling Harbour.
I look up and there's the two Aussie blokes i'd met at Gallipoli the previous year.
No Efes this time but we gave the lagers another good nudge. Small world.
No way! I did Anzac Day in Gallipoli the year after in 2006 when there was no alcohol. It was hosted by Andrew Denton and was absolutely incredible. I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

Hahaha it’s so funny how many times that drinks scam happens. I’ve traveled a lot but Turkey was probably the dodgiest country I’ve been to.

We helped a guy out when we were there. A very slow farmer from Townsville.
He thought he had met a glamour who wanted him until the champagne bill came. We got him out of it. He wanted to hang out with us after that but I got the sense the bloke was a walking talking shit magnet so told him to piss off.

The very next night we were walking past another bar and heard a commotion. Yep, you guessed it, same bloke, same scam. The last I saw of him he was running towards the blue mosque being chased by a gang of tough little guys and an angry hooker haha. Speaking of the mosque, the call to prayer after an hours sleep was not a welcome alarm clock each day

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
True story. 1974, I go into the Deutsche Bank Frankfurt, to cash a travellers cheque. No plastic in those days.

I was a bank clerk back then, so the teller offered to show me around the place, then suggests we meet for dinner. His name was Martin Uffer.

Martin takes me to a basement cafe in the heart of the city, near Zeil, and introduces me to his friends. There is a strongroom door to one side, with people coming and going, and locking it tight each time.

I hadn't noticed that there were no women in the place.

After the meal, he suggests that we adjourn into the room behind the door, saying that I will be in for a treat. When we go in, I find that it is a pistol range - and there are Nazi flags and photos all over the walls. What really freaked me out were a couple of guys in pink Nazi uniforms.

Suddenly the penny dropped - I was trapped in a room with gay Nazis carrying live weapons. Luckily, someone came into the room and the door was open, so I leaped through the door, up the stairs, and ran for about three blocks before I took a breath. I was very fit back then and made sure I put a lot of distance between myself and that place.

Next day, I hopped on my bicycle and pedalled as fast as I could to Heidelberg.

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where the fuck did you go Vatican city ?
I've been into Vatican City.

Tim Fischer was a mate of mine, and was our Ambassador to the Holy See. He took me into the Vatican to see the Pope's private railway and station. My wife was impressed that he got us diplomatic entry into St. Peters Basilica - no queuing for hours.

Tim and I once sang a duet in the Undara Lava Tubes, to demonstrate their acoustics.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
True story. 1974, I go into the Deutsche Bank Frankfurt, to cash a travellers cheque. No plastic in those days.

I was bank clerk back then, so the teller offered to show me around the place, then suggests we meet for dinner. His name was Martin Uffer.

Martin takes me to a basement cafe in the heart of the city, near Zeil, and introduces me to his friends. There is a strongroom door to one side, with people coming and going, and locking it tight each time.

I hadn't noticed that there were no women in the place.

After the meal, he suggests that we adjourn into the room behind the door, saying that I will be in for a treat. When we go in, I find that it is a pistol range - and there are Nazi flags and photos all over the walls. What really freaked me out were a couple of guys in pink Nazi uniforms.

Suddenly the penny dropped - I was trapped in a room with gay Nazis carrying live weapons. Luckily, someone came into the room and the door was open, so I leaped through the door, up the stairs, and ran for about three blocks before I took a breath. I was very fit back then and made sure I put a lot of distance between myself and that place.

Next day, I hopped on my bicycle and pedalled as fast as I could to Heidelberg.
Hahaha that’s hilarious mate. Great story

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
A park in Rome I had been exhausted from the night before and the day of hot sun and walking around the city and so I find a nice shady monument in some park somewhere and lay down for an afternoon 5 minute rest.

Whatever it was I don’t know but my body my six sense or whatever told me to look up just in time to see a bloke creeping up on me. We were out in the open but no one was around and I’m thinking fuck!

He pulls out a little like Swiss army knife and says something which I am assuming meant give me your money in Italian. Did the okay okay bro calm down mate I have no problem. No trouble no trouble, Australian.. He looked at me and said Australian? I was like yeah yeah man no problem, I don’t want any problem. Looks at me again puts the knife in really close to my stomach and says Money I want money.

Fuck it I give him what I had on my stupid body purse thing and he walks away. I’m trebling as I just thought I was going to get fucking stabbed in Rome but when he gets about 25 meters away anger takes over. I’ve obviously sub consciously assessed it and gone (he was heaps older than me and I was quite a nifty runner) and seen this rock we are talking half way between tennis ball and golf ball and for whatever reason pegged it at him..

I couldn’t do it if I tried 200 more times but the Roman gods were with me that day and gided it straight to the back of his head.. He went down like a sack of shit but got straight back up and started chasing me..

I spent my easy head start and superior speed taunting him and you could imagine some of the crap I was saying m. Anyway he gave up but he got my money but I pegged in the back of the head. Last I saw of him as I was running was him sitting down touching the back of his head with what looked like blood all over his hands. Probably shouldn’t be sharing these stories hey.. I’m sure he was sweet but I hope he learnt a lesson - Don’t fuck with Aussies

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hahaha that’s hilarious mate. Great story
Mate, I wasn't laughing at the time. I was shit scared.

Alone in a city I didn't know, and wondering how far these guys might go to keep their activities secret. It can't have been legal; and nobody knew I was in Frankfurt. They could have done anything to me. A young foreigner, long hair, tanned and toned - all their dreams come true.

I can laugh now; but back then I was terrified.

The weird thing was that I had a few guys try to pick me up on my travels; and girls too. Don't know what made guys think I was interested.

Nice story. I saw a stunning girl in the Tourist Office in Ulm. I tried to think of a way I could ask her out, so I used the lame "Hello, I hear that Ulm has the best Apfel Strudel in Germany, can you suggest a good place to try some?" My next line was going to be "and would you like to join me?"

To my surprise, her reply was "Sure. My place. I get off at 5.00"

The only bummer was her fiance arrived back a day early, and found us sitting up in bed eating strudel. She went ballistic and chased him out.

Next day I hitchhiked to Salzburg, and wondered what became of their relationship

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’m trying to think of travel stories I can share here! I’ve seen some pretty bad shit that would put a dampener on a fun thread.

One of the coolest things that’s happened to me was when I got talking to a group of guys who were all college football stars for the Longhorns in Texas. One of them was getting married and they were about to start a bucks week. One of their mates was sick and they had a spot they had to fill. What an amazing week I’ll never forget

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Mate, I wasn't laughing at the time. I was shit scared.

Alone in a city I didn't know, and wondering how far these guys might go to keep their activities secret. It can't have been legal; and nobody knew I was in Frankfurt. They could have done anything to me. A young foreigner, long hair, tanned and toned - all their dreams come true.

I can laugh now; but back then I was terrified.

The weird thing was that I had a few guys try to pick me up on my travels; and girls too. Don't know what made guys think I was interested.

Nice story. I saw a stunning girl in the Tourist Office in Ulm. I tried to think of a way I could ask her out, so I used the lame "Hello, I hear that Ulm has the best Apfel Strudel in Germany, can you suggest a good place to try some?" My next line was going to be "and would you like to join me?"

To my surprise, her reply was "Sure. My place. I get off at 5.00"

The only bummer was her fiance arrived back a day early, and found us sitting up in bed eating strudel. She went ballistic and chased him out.

Next day I hitchhiked to Salzburg, and wondered what became of their relationship
Haha I bet! What a spin out.
How was the strudel?