News Trainer sacked

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
just a question have a you played a team sport, if so you will have these types of players around the club? i know from my experience of playing and coaching, that these types of guys are the life line of the club, the guys that the players love. He wasnt even offered a reduced contract.
With a new coach coming in there was always a clean out coming. With the performances of our team over the last few years why would any backroom staff think they would keep their job? They have clearly failed in their job to prepare our team.

Would you offer a reduced contract to someone who has clearly failed at his job, just to keep him around so he can complain he got screwed with a reduced contract?

Why would the new coach want someone hanging around from the old regime? That is the point of a clean out. Out with the old, in with the new.

Last edited:

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Before you make a half assed comment, know the facts, he hasn’t had anything to do with the NRL squad for at least 8 years. He was one of the finest conditioners back in the day, was an integral factor in the Dogs’ physical dominance during the 90’s & early 2000’s. I think after 37years of service (Price should have known better) a little bit of respect & decorum on behalf of the Club is warranted-not a phone call to advise “you’re done”
Are you saying he should have got a new contract because he did a good job for us 25 years ago?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Source?

The game is a business, first and foremost. These players all talk about his training for fitness and toughness. Can anyone honestly say that we have a fit and tough team? Look at yesterday - how fit and tough were we?

For years everyone has been commenting on how unfit the team looks.

The article says Carden was - repeat was - a trainer for many years. He has not been involved this year by the way I read it.

Sometimes you have to let go of people who have had their day.
Nasheed here.
We've spoken before.

You've actually kind of contradicted yourself here. You say we are unfit this year (true) then say Carden hasn't been there thi year.
Perhaps Carden has been the missing link?

That said, he is 66. I think a trainer has to be a younger fit guy that understands hip hop/rap/youth stuff.
Not saying specifically him, but someone LIKE Michael Lichaa would be ideal as a trainer to replace him.

crack

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
All the best Gary , time for us to move on

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Before you make a half assed comment, know the facts, he hasn’t had anything to do with the NRL squad for at least 8 years. He was one of the finest conditioners back in the day, was an integral factor in the Dogs’ physical dominance during the 90’s & early 2000’s. I think after 37years of service (Price should have known better) a little bit of respect & decorum on behalf of the Club is warranted-not a phone call to advise “you’re done”
dipshit what is the physical condition of our players coming through like okonbour, jake , harper etc? Shit house thats what it is , as usual you're the half arse, where the fuck did I say nrl? I was a decent soccer player in the 1990's and do you know what that means now? Our whole football department needs to be tossed and replaced, we are starting to sound like a museum always looking to the past and not the present.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Was he sacked or made redundant?
Sucks for him it wasn't a redundancy after 37 years.

That guy would be Tupac rich, he would put Drake to shame with the bling and foreigns he could afford. As well as hookers, coke, ice. If he was rolling at 150 for 37 years this redundancy would be 500k plus. If! Especially faith bargaining agreements of the 80s.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
how do you know he wasnt performing? he is not the head conditioner, he is a life member.
What has being a life member got to do with performances? Tolman will be a life member when he retires so should we just keep him on? You are aware we are in a pandemic and the football club and leagues club are losing money hand over fist? How do I know he wasn't performing? I'll ask you what evidence do you have that he was? I look at other clubs and tge amount of 18,19 or 20 year olds they have come through NRL ready then i look at us...

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I think we need to move on from this Family club bullshit.
It worked back in the day when there was loyalty.
But these days, the game is a business.
And it's all based on fluid contracts that mean nothing.

Best thing we need to do as a club is create a new culture to move forward.

Holding on to the past is not the way to future success.
It's great to have traditions and club values, but when its lost can't go back to build what was there because the current crop isn't about that. Start again and build standards. This club has lost everything after 2015. It was just about winning percentage was acceptable. We started losing it when Prichard Ennis than Graham left 3 together set standards.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nasheed here.
We've spoken before.

You've actually kind of contradicted yourself here. You say we are unfit this year (true) then say Carden hasn't been there thi year.
Perhaps Carden has been the missing link?

That said, he is 66. I think a trainer has to be a younger fit guy that understands hip hop/rap/youth stuff.
Not saying specifically him, but someone LIKE Michael Lichaa would be ideal as a trainer to replace him.
Hi Nasheed,

I'm assuming he has been around up until the COVID lockdown. Our observations about lack of fitness go back well before this season. I remember commenting on it over two years ago. Nothing has changed my mind since then.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
dipshit what is the physical condition of our players coming through like okonbour, jake , harper etc? Shit house thats what it is , as usual you're the half arse, where the fuck did I say nrl? I was a decent soccer player in the 1990's and do you know what that means now? Our whole football department needs to be tossed and replaced, we are starting to sound like a museum always looking to the past and not the present.
Okunbor,Averillo & Harper are or were in the Top 30, the NRL roster;what’s that got to do with Gary Carden you pelican???????? Their lack of conditioning should ultimately be answered by Tony Ayoub the Manager of “High Performance “ he’s the one who should be held to account.Nobody is saying Carden’s contract should be renewed. Wrong
If you played soccer at any level then you should know about the importance of team culture & the respect it brings.
Don’t give a flying f***k what you did in the 90s, this isn’t about you; irrelevant.

I will agree the entire Football Department needs a total rebuild, starting with the 2 main perpetrators of the failure Price as GM & “High Performance “ manager Ayoub.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
His contract is up too and no decision to renew has been made yet.

That will probably be up to Barrett.
Hopefully but I don't see the club cutting him loose...

well done

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
His contract is up too and no decision to renew has been made yet.

That will probably be up to Barrett.
He has another year to run on his contract, all other support staff contracts end this year but Ayoub has one more year

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully but I don't see the club cutting him loose...
If the review is performance based he should be packing his bags, at the very least go back to what he does best; physiotherapy. He has a long long relationship with Chris Anderson.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You are aware we are in a pandemic and the football club and leagues club are losing money hand over fist?
Precisely. Not to mention NRL regulated protocols around contact and communication ie: the 50 person bubble. Yet according to some this is all an ‘excuse’ given their want to conduct a lynching on some club staffers no matter what they did.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He has a long long relationship with Chris Anderson.
That didn’t save Pay and I have my doubts it will save Ayoub. Now granted the media noise won’t be as loud around the broader football department as it was around the head coach role, but Barrett wants to hit the ground running and doesn’t want to repeat his mistakes at Manly. Hence more changes are pretty much inevitable.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Maybe the issue is more about the "perceived" lack of respect to a long standing, popular servant of the club and the players.

The current regime go on about family values, we look after our own etc but that can't be said here.

Surely Price could have gone around to his house with a big bunch of flowers for the wife and a huge gift basket and arranged for Zap to be there to film it.

They could have spoken at a distance and conveyed the esteem Carden is/was held in and put out a feel good farewell for all the clubs members and supporters.

A phone call after 37 years of service is not the way a professionally run club would handle it.

We constantly shoot ourselves in the foot with most issues and look like dummies running a multi million dollar club when, with a bit of thought to the aesthetics of things, we could have turned this into the feel good story it should have been.

Now we only have a lot of loyal supporters disillusioned and given another free kick to the harping media.

When are we gonna finally get the little things right to help ourselves?

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That didn’t save Pay and I have my doubts it will save Ayoub. Now granted the media noise won’t be as loud around the broader football department as it was around the head coach role, but Barrett wants to hit the ground running and doesn’t want to repeat his mistakes at Manly. Hence more changes are pretty much inevitable.
The difference is Pay was appointed by the previous administration, Ayoub is a Chris Anderson appointment. He was employed to improve the physical & medical performance of the NRL. Applying the “no player has improved “under Pay KPIs,has any player’s physical performance improved under Ayoub’s tutelage?