News Trainer sacked

daisy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Doesn’t help when 27 of the 30 top players are reserve graders

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You’re a classic SFA, highly entertaining :-). Stay the course champ, as the realities are pretty much the opposite to all you state. Have a good one.[

That’s right Dinkum, don’t let the facts get in the way of your narrative. You keep supporting & spruiking for the current management in the current direction they’re taking the Club.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That’s right Dinkum, don’t let the facts get in the way of your narrative. You keep supporting & spruiking for the current management in the current direction they’re taking the Club.
What’s that sound? The sky falling! :fearscream:.
You and @Teddybear would make a lovely couple with all your predictions of doom - pretty much none of which have actually materialised :-).

Last edited:

Doglover

Waterboy
Reaction score
He was classic old school in training techniques, which were effective back in the day, if he was considered valuable he would still be working with nrl squad and be in the bubble. All training staff know that a new coach usually means a clean out of staff, it’s the nature of the role. It’s also time for Fred C to move on, given some if the dramas he’s been part of.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s that sound? The sky falling! :fearscream:.
You and @Teddybear would make a lovely couple with all your predictions of doom - pretty much none of which have actually materialised :-).
I’d rather Galileo’s theory of the earth they all laughed & scoffed at than chicken little......but each to their own DD

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was classic old school in training techniques, which were effective back in the day, if he was considered valuable he would still be working with nrl squad and be in the bubble. All training staff know that a new coach usually means a clean out of staff, it’s the nature of the role. It’s also time for Fred C to move on, given some if the dramas he’s been part of.
There will be plenty more to follow, there will be a long overdue & massive review/clean out of the Football Department.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
There will be plenty more to follow, there will be a long overdue & massive review/clean out of the Football Department.
Agree. You wouldn’t call that leadership?? :-)

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with Mark Hughes getting the arse if true

Bulldog Joe

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The Bulldogs’ reputation as rugby league’s ‘‘family club’’ – one they are trying to restore – has taken another hit with the sacking of a man who helped guide and train some of their biggest stars during four decades at Belmore.
Garry Carden, who helped shape the careers of Sonny Bill Williams, Johnathan Thurston and Willie Mason, has been told he is no longer wanted by the club after 37 years.
Former premiership winner Mark Hughes, a key member of Tedd Glossop’s famous ‘‘Entertainers’’ sides of the 1980s, is another who is likely to go.
Carden was a trainer at the Bulldogs for many of those years.
“The club and its players have been my life,” Carden, 66, said. “I’ve been on JobKeeper because of COVID this year, but the club wouldn’t have known if I was dead or alive until they called to sack me. [Canterbury’s general manager of football] Steve Price called and I hung up on him. I got an email from their HR department. Idon’t know why I’ve been sacked. I feel like after nearly four decades, I don’t exist. So much for the Bulldogs being a family club.”
Advertisement

Williams wanted to speak out when he heard from former teammates about Carden’s plight.
RELATED ARTICLE
Hot property: Souths star Cameron Murray.
“Without his dedication and expertise, I wouldn’t have been ready for first grade,” Williams said. “He helped shape my career in the important early days.”
Mason was more fired up. “Garry is part of the Bulldogs’ solution, not part of the problem,’’ he said. ‘‘You never sack this kind of bloke from a club. You treasure and respect them.’’
Thurston said he was ‘‘shocked’’ at the decision. ‘‘He looked after me,’’ Thurston said. ‘‘He is Canterbury to his core. He made players tough ... He got me ready for what was ahead in my career.”
Advertisement

The Bulldogs say there was no choice but to let Carden go, given the financial impact of COVID-19 and the appointment of new coach Trent Barrett for next season.
I feel sorry for Gary but I think it is a bit rich getting criticised by $BW and Mason who abandoned Canterbury while still under contract???

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No it’s Trent Barrett,him taking on the coaching role was conditional
1) learning from his mistakes at not spring cleaning at Manly.
2) getting rid of the inept & stale personnel in our Football Department.
Barrett no doubt brought suggestions but couldn’t make such demands. End of the day agreement was reached on the path and Barrett was hired. They didn’t have to hire him, there were options, so there’s leadership decisions being made. If you’re suggesting the only reason the clean out is on is because Barrett demanded it or wouldn’t take the job and otherwise it wouldn’t have happened well that’s another thing we’ll have to disagree on. It was on regardless, and not just because of the coaching change. You should know why.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
37 years seems pretty loyal to me Did they want us to keep him until he’s on a walking stick

Reactions: obe

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So because we are the family club we can't ever sack anyone? Give me a break. The dude is old and Barrett probably wants to bring in his own people.

This guy crying like this only makes him look shit, not the club. Maybe they could have handled it better but it is hard with how things are so a phone call is pretty much all that they can do.
He wasn’t whinging he said he doesn’t have a bad word to say about the club it’s the media bashing us

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett no doubt brought suggestions but couldn’t make such demands. End of the day agreement was reached on the path and Barrett was hired. They didn’t have to hire him, there were options, so there’s leadership decisions being made. If you’re suggesting the only reason the clean out is on is because Barrett demanded it or wouldn’t take the job and otherwise it wouldn’t have happened well that’s another thing we’ll have to disagree on. It was on regardless, and not just because of the coaching change. You should know why.
Was Barrett the best option? Time will tell & I really hope so. As for the Football Department, kudos to Barrett, he did his homework on the personnel, the issue for him will be replacing them. As you know he will be stepping on toes moving on certain individuals...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Was Barrett the best option? Time will tell & I really hope so. As for the Football Department, kudos to Barrett, he did his homework on the personnel, the issue for him will be replacing them. As you know he will be stepping on toes moving on certain individuals...
He will have to also convince the cheapskates at the club to fork up the money for his staff :tearsofjoy:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He wouldn’t have been my first choice but it’s done, I’ll support him and hope he succeeds. Agree he did his homework and I assume he’s stated his case so toe stepping should not be any surprise. That’s where the real leadership test lies - so there’s no repeat of the Manly debacle - questions he appears to have satisfactorily answered during his interview.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
it sounds like by his attitude, he became so self entitled that his days are passed. We have to allow family members to move on from club roles - this loyalty to keeping them on because we are family regardless of our performance needs seems dumb to me. Media play this card every time we let someone go!

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Is this the guy responsible for our cream puff forward pack?