News Trainer sacked

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
The Bulldogs’ reputation as rugby league’s ‘‘family club’’ – one they are trying to restore – has taken another hit with the sacking of a man who helped guide and train some of their biggest stars during four decades at Belmore.
Garry Carden, who helped shape the careers of Sonny Bill Williams, Johnathan Thurston and Willie Mason, has been told he is no longer wanted by the club after 37 years.
Former premiership winner Mark Hughes, a key member of Tedd Glossop’s famous ‘‘Entertainers’’ sides of the 1980s, is another who is likely to go.
Carden was a trainer at the Bulldogs for many of those years.
“The club and its players have been my life,” Carden, 66, said. “I’ve been on JobKeeper because of COVID this year, but the club wouldn’t have known if I was dead or alive until they called to sack me. [Canterbury’s general manager of football] Steve Price called and I hung up on him. I got an email from their HR department. Idon’t know why I’ve been sacked. I feel like after nearly four decades, I don’t exist. So much for the Bulldogs being a family club.”
Advertisement

Williams wanted to speak out when he heard from former teammates about Carden’s plight.
RELATED ARTICLE
Hot property: Souths star Cameron Murray.
“Without his dedication and expertise, I wouldn’t have been ready for first grade,” Williams said. “He helped shape my career in the important early days.”
Mason was more fired up. “Garry is part of the Bulldogs’ solution, not part of the problem,’’ he said. ‘‘You never sack this kind of bloke from a club. You treasure and respect them.’’
Thurston said he was ‘‘shocked’’ at the decision. ‘‘He looked after me,’’ Thurston said. ‘‘He is Canterbury to his core. He made players tough ... He got me ready for what was ahead in my career.”
Advertisement

The Bulldogs say there was no choice but to let Carden go, given the financial impact of COVID-19 and the appointment of new coach Trent Barrett for next season.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah this isn't a good look. Surely we could have kept him on
Then U got SBW And Thurston 2 of the most high profiles in the sport condemning it. Not often you see that

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Source?

The game is a business, first and foremost. These players all talk about his training for fitness and toughness. Can anyone honestly say that we have a fit and tough team? Look at yesterday - how fit and tough were we?

For years everyone has been commenting on how unfit the team looks.

The article says Carden was - repeat was - a trainer for many years. He has not been involved this year by the way I read it.

Sometimes you have to let go of people who have had their day.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Source?

The game is a business, first and foremost. These players all talk about his training for fitness and toughness. Can anyone honestly say that we have a fit and tough team? Look at yesterday - how fit and tough were we?

The article says Carden was - repeat was - a trainer for many years. He has not been involved this year by the way I read it.

Articles in smh but its been covered a bit his week. Bloke also had a farewell at croydon park hotel

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Source?

100% agree... its a fact that when a person holds a position for too long that complacency sets in, leading to an increase in errors...

Just like members of the team, theres needs to be rejuvenation of a certain percentage every couple of years

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Another attempted media stitch up featuring quotes from former players who love the sound of their own voice (Mason) and who left the club when they were needed most (Williams). It’s especially grating quoting Williams in the context of the club allegedly treating an employee badly. Pot, kettle, black.

Garry admits himself he hung up on his boss!
And he wants sympathy?
This would have been done in consultation with Barrett who will be totally reassembling the football department in 2021.

Thanks for everything Garry but we need to move on and holding on to the past is usually not the right way to do that. We’ll invite you and Pay back to celebrate your contribution during the hard times when we are successful again.

Good luck in your retirement.

Last edited:

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Source?

Agree on the fact we need a new trainer but the club not finding a position for him is weak. Almost 40yrs at the club should warrant more respect. It wouldn't have happened under folksy, it would happen under Robinson, when your trying to build something things like this show we are still a long way away from understanding where we need to be.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again. Its more how the board handled it. Not wether he deserved it or not
Poor leadership once again. We need to treat these people better and with more up front respect. Family club lol.
Shit leadership.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
So because we are the family club we can't ever sack anyone? Give me a break. The dude is old and Barrett probably wants to bring in his own people.

This guy crying like this only makes him look shit, not the club. Maybe they could have handled it better but it is hard with how things are so a phone call is pretty much all that they can do.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Blokes like this should be kept around the club, purely for culture. He didn’t need to have any meaningful role, except to perhaps preside over the Gary Carden Bench Press Comp or the Gary Carden 5km Sprint and hold the stopwatch.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fuck the media !
You hear Kent and all that shit on us that the family club thing is gone and that we are a terrible footy side ... So we go about rectifying it and they sling it at us even more. The dudes old now and probably the right call to let him go, take Grimaldi with you aswell.
For years we've heard oh we are fitter then ever and have been working on our defence and line speed and without fail you watch them and have to ask yourself did they really work on it.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
So because we are the family club we can't ever sack anyone? Give me a break. The dude is old and Barrett probably wants to bring in his own people.

This guy crying like this only makes him look shit, not the club. Maybe they could have handled it better but it is hard with how things are so a phone call is pretty much all that they can do.
Yeah I was cut no one called me so when they did I hung up haha

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blokes like this should be kept around the club, purely for culture. He didn’t need to have any meaningful role, except to perhaps preside over the Gary Carden Bench Press Comp or the Gary Carden 5km Sprint and hold the stopwatch.
culture ?? whether the club did bad or wrong , he shat on the club publically via the media. Is that the culture you want him to show , shit on the club when you don’t get your way.
as for those players , Thurston , Mason , Williams ... they LEFT the club and played elsewhere , they have no right to talk about decisions the club make regarding loyalty .

you think they took that decision lightly , the andersons and price would have been apart of the club when Gary was around .