Opinion Trade Luke Thompson for Luke Keary

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we need to let Luke Thompson go, it is only because of his salary package.
The more sensible thing we need to do, is to recruit some front row forwards,
so Luke can play his best position, which is in the back row.
You say this all the time. Has he ever even played back row?? His defence on the edge would be a nightmare

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So either way we waste 800k...Keary gets concussed every second week, hard no.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They aren’t going to go from 1 head ache to another head ache. Not enough nurofen for that!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Can't see Keary playing for much longer, tbh. He's a very smart bloke and is already concerned about his concussion history. Even if he did want to sign for us, there would always be the risk he was just that one head knock away from retirement.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It’s actually a smart way to avoid having to pay another club to take Thompson & without it affecting our cap as Keary will most likely be medically retired soon

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Vaughan has been close to our best forward all year, I still cannot believe not one NRL club picked him up for next year and he's going to England.
He lost out on about a mill from the Dragons sacking so maybe he’s tryna make up for it idk but the ESL offers are probably way better than what he could get out here. Spewing he’s leaving.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Would love to see what Thommo could do at Melbourne instead. See how he’d go in their system.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was for this until a fairy tap took Keary out for 6 weeks..
I posted Luke was 1 or 2 knocks from medical retirement just before this fairy tap and got smashed ..

Plus he is a 6 not a 7.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't see Keary playing for much longer, tbh. He's a very smart bloke and is already concerned about his concussion history. Even if he did want to sign for us, there would always be the risk he was just that one head knock away from retirement.
And we all know that the only clubs who get looked after in medically retire someone are the rabbits and roosters.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He may be traded to the tigers for Hastings is what I’m hearing
Hastings ain't on anywhere near 800k a season but I would take Hastings over Keary.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'd be very reluctant to invest that much cap space for another 2 years for Keary who is 30, coming off a torn acl and has struggled massively with repeated concussions.. He's a good player who would improve us a lot but it'd be a huge risk for those reasons.
We're spending that cap space on LK next season anyway so it's just an extra season. If Keary gets seriously injured again next season then medically retire him.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It’s actually a smart way to avoid having to pay another club to take Thompson & without it affecting our cap as Keary will most likely be medically retired soon
This guy gets it.

Either Keary gets medically retired and his salary is off our cap or he plays and helps us win games as he's WAY better than Kyle Flanagan.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
2 year deal for an experienced quality half, even with the injury concerns I'd do it. I think it could have a similar effect to when we signed Kimmorley. The biggest problems going to be paying close to 50% of Thompson's wages for 1 year.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
2 year deal for an experienced quality half, even with the injury concerns I'd do it. I think it could have a similar effect to when we signed Kimmorley. The biggest problems going to be paying close to 50% of Thompson's wages for 1 year.
The point of the trade is not having to pay anything of LT salary.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The point of the trade is not having to pay anything of LT salary.
Roosters won't accept so it's a mute point, Thompson's worth nowhere near 850k.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Roosters won't accept so it's a mute point, Thompson's worth nowhere near 850k.
Neither is Keary right now. Like I said, the Roosters would rather pay LT for 1 season than Keary for 2 as they want to play Manu-Walker in the halves.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We're spending that cap space on LK next season anyway so it's just an extra season. If Keary gets seriously injured again next season then medically retire him.
I think Thompson will be moved on either way.. Keary would have to agree to a medical retirement, which isn't always easy as the player often wants to keep playing..