CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yes, but I reckon CC gunna get TPJ firing this year
Possibly but there always seems to be an issue with TPJ. He just needs to get fit and do the basics and he'd be one of the best forwards in the game yet he can't even seem bothered to do that.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Pangai’s lament spurred by training with SBW
Bulldogs star Tevita Pangai jnr has made the stunning admission that he realises he has been “taking the piss” for his entire career.
That’s the result of spending a month training with Sonny Bill Williams for his upcoming bout on the SBW undercard on November 5 at Sydney’s Aware Super Theatre.
Pangai has stripped 8 kilograms off his playing weight of 120 kilograms, and has two more to go to keep a promise to new Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo.
Advertisement

“I’m a bit surprised Gus [Dogs football boss Phil Gould] gave me permission to box ... this wasn’t the season that I wanted it to be but I guess it means he is happy for me to be under Sonny’s wing in off-season and it’s good to learn the consistency it takes to be a professional player at the top level,” Pangai said.
Tevita Pangai jnr has stripped 8 kilograms off his playing weight.

Tevita Pangai jnr has stripped 8 kilograms off his playing weight.CREDIT:GETTY
“I’ve done the first four weeks with Sonny. I told my coach that I’ll come back at 110kg. I haven’t been that weight since I was in high school so I’m doing my best. I need to drop the weight so I have energy and the fitness and be dangerous. More than that, I want to be able to do the little things that Cameron values and needs me to do.”
It’s a clear indication he is serious about season 2023.
“This month with Sonny, it’s made me see my whole career I’ve just been taking the piss,” he said.
Advertisement

“Being with Sonny ... just consistently working hard every day and paying attention to my nutrition. Everything is so professional every day. There are no easy days. I think mentally I’ve gotten a lot tougher just from the training. But also the nutrition. It’s pushed my threshold a lot higher. Obviously, I’ve been getting around with an extra 10 kilos on me.”
RELATED ARTICLE
Mitieli Vulikijapani of Fiji before the Rugby League World Cup.
Rugby League World Cup
The Fijian flyer taking on Australia while waiting for call-up to Ukraine conflict
For Pangai, it’s about more than the fight.
“It’s about being around good people and getting into good habits for next season,” he said. “I think there’s a lot of talk around the club about an upcoming season. I just need to work hard and just shut my mouth about how I think we will go.”
Pangai was offered four two-minute rounds but asked for three minutes to test himself. He opted for boxing over playing for Tonga in the World Cup to be ready for 2023.
Advertisement

“Initially Sonny said, ‘Maybe you should just come train and get your fitness up’, and he knew playing for Tonga is big ... Sonny wasn’t pushy. He just said, ‘Make sure you do the right thing for your family’. I went away for three days and I had a good think about it and what I wanted in the upcoming season. I think I’ve made the right decision.”
Danny Weidler

Danny Weidler is a sport columnist for The Sydney Morning Herald.Connect via Twitter or email.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure what many of you expected of TPJ.

He is a forward that provides us with offloads and second phase play. We have greatly benefited from this. Sure he mightn't have played as many minutes as we would have liked, but realistically, I see a benefit to the team with his last minute offloads and if he can keep this up next few years, that's all I really expect.

Is it worth his salary? No way. But I knew that when the idiots signed him up. I felt it was OK for 1 or 2 years given we didn't have any marquee players anyway, but now that we need the cap space for a top half, it's biting us abit.

End of the day, I still see value in TPJ but not really in Thommo.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I give credit to TPJ for always taking ownership with his comments and saying he needs to do better etc.

But he said similar things last year and didn't back it up.. Hopefully this year under Ciraldo he does and has a huge preseason. I have a feeling he'll have a big year. It's basically a make or break season for TPJ at the club and in his career..

Last edited:

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure what many of you expected of TPJ.

He is a forward that provides us with offloads and second phase play. We have greatly benefited from this. Sure he mightn't have played as many minutes as we would have liked, but realistically, I see a benefit to the team with his last minute offloads and if he can keep this up next few years, that's all I really expect.

Is it worth his salary? No way. But I knew that when the idiots signed him up. I felt it was OK for 1 or 2 years given we didn't have any marquee players anyway, but now that we need the cap space for a top half, it's biting us abit.

End of the day, I still see value in TPJ but not really in Thommo.
Thats the thing though, if his attitude was to deleiver every week he hits the field he would be worth the coin. His problem is he doesnt show up every week. Why were the Gronks willing to let him go? Why was he dropped to cup when we needed him back end of the season? Now he's come out and said hes been taking the piss 'his whole career'. People will say he had a tough year for personal reasons and I would never down play what he went through. The fact is he admitted to taking the piss even before this.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I give credit to TPJ for always taking ownership with his comments and saying he needs to do better etc.

But he said similar things last year and didn't back it up.. Hopefully this year under Ciraldo he does and has a huge preseason. I have a feeling he'll have a big year. It's basically a make or break season for TPJ at the club and in his career..
Why?
He showcased the same skills set at Broncos and at Penrith and now us.
This is him. This is what you get. Limited minutes but second phase play and some aggression. Is it worth 800k? Probably not. But im sure his skills set will attract other suitors. It's just a matter of how much.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why?
He showcased the same skills set at Broncos and at Penrith and now us.
This is him. This is what you get. Limited minutes but second phase play and some aggression. Is it worth 800k? Probably not. But im sure his skills set will attract other suitors. It's just a matter of how much.
He is on $650k as of next season. The $800k was because the Broncos were still paying part of his contract.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The difference from previous off season training is that's he's now lost 8kg and training with sonny. So that shows he's taking it a lot more serious. Good on him !

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The difference from previous off season training is that's he's now lost 8kg and training with sonny. So that shows he's taking it a lot more serious. Good on him !
Is making him as light as a boxer going to make him better?
Kasiano used to use his weight to help momentum, sometimes carrying a bit extra is ok as long as those lungs can suck air.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being around pro's like SBW and Kikau should help TPJ, but it's time for actions. SBW, or anyone, can lead a horse to water.