Top 5 players from the 90's till present that would make it back in the day..

• Thread starter Alexander the Great
  • Start date
A

Alexander the Great

I thought this would be a good thread to get some input from the older kennel members who were around to watch players like Tunks, Mortimer ect maybe pick their 5 top players in today's current game that would be ideal back in the day. @Chris Harding @James zac @Turvey Chip and Chase
anyone else jump in also..
Not sure if that's tags worked because I'm using the app from my phone.

Me personally my top 5 would be...

1. Paul Gallen
2 Gordy Tallis
3. Cam Smith
4. SBW
5. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Based on how they play and aggression i think they would have been a good fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Alexander the Great

Agree with him being brought down but Aggression and mongrel I think was key because almost every 1p minutes a blue would kick off , a elbow to the face ect. The play was dirty as nasheeds undies.

Lolo looks like a good kid. I don't think he has it in him.
Lol. Who cares how aggressive the forwards used to be, they'd fucking break trying to tackle him.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Taumalolo would slap them silly tbh.
I don't think Taumalolo will run with the same confidence once he cops a swinging arm to the face and gets spear tackled into the hard surface... and gets fingered whilst he's on the ground..

A

Alexander the Great

Lol that pretty much sums up my mind when I watched games from back then. They were mad.
I don't think Taumalolo will run with the same confidence once he cops a swinging arm to the face and gets spear tackled into the hard surface... and gets fingered whilst he's on the ground..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol. Who cares how aggressive the forwards used to be, they'd fucking break trying to tackle him.
Lolo would have had little impact in our game against the Dragons titled "how the Bulldogs used to conduct business" if he was playing for them. Not taking anyway from Jason, but he came into the game at the perfect time, hard to put a proper shot on these days without being penalised

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
And the defenders won't have the same confidence when they snap their collarbone trying to tackle him...

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason t would end the careers of most of them old drunken thugs lol. Some people.
How do u know hes not a frashing machine ? Fatty vautin survived, most players would of.
It was still quite violent when ben ikin calved up nsw and hes Australia's biggest cat. Because alot of them fought back then most of them were pretty hopeless at it and didnt always bring u wins. Look at bob fulton he just played footy and won everything.

Wests played like that for years. Won nothing.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Cameron Smith would of been bashed out of the game- fuck I would've loved to have seen it unfold. The grubby, whiny **** would've been held up in a scrum and beaten mercilessly, and his whinging to the ref would've gone unnoticed with a quick "shut your mouth and get on with it" from a ref with balls: unlike today's hermaphrodites parading as whistleblowers.
Smith avoids being tackled because he knows plenty of opposition players would be chomping at the bit to give him a working over. Back in the "hardman era" he wouldn't of had the luxury of not getting hit, he would of got splattered with late, high shots and vicious elbows, spear tackles and the like. It would of been glorious to watch.

A

Alexander the Great

Haha fuck me you don't like like Cam.. who do you think would get a run?
Cameron Smith would of been bashed out of the game- fuck I would've loved to have seen it unfold. The grubby, whiny c*** would've been held up in a scrum and beaten mercilessly, and his whinging to the ref would've gone unnoticed with a quick "shut your mouth and get on with it" from a ref with balls: unlike today's hermaphrodites parading as whistleblowers.
Smith avoids being tackled because he knows plenty of opposition players would be chomping at the bit to give him a working over. Back in the "hardman era" he wouldn't of had the luxury of not getting hit, he would of got splattered with late, high shots and vicious elbows, spear tackles and the like. It would of been glorious to watch.

A

Alexander the Great

Who is in your top 5?
Lolo would have had little impact in our game against the Dragons titled "how the Bulldogs used to conduct business" if he was playing for them. Not taking anyway from Jason, but he came into the game at the perfect time, hard to put a proper shot on these days without being penalised

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who is in your top 5?
It's a tough one because you say today's game, but I consider Tallis' era to be harder than what we see today, and there would be plenty from his time who would have made it.. anyway I am going to make my selection from more recent times, guys who I believe would not have looked out of place in the days of old, and it's quite similar to yours

1.Napa
2.JWH
3.Matai
4.Gal
5.Maguire

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Haha fuck me you don't like like Cam.. who do you think would get a run?
Cam is a fucken skidmark bro, hate the piece of shit.
What specific timeframes are we looking at? Blokes from say 2000 onwards who would have held their own in the 70's/80's? Or earlier when it was just anything goes on the field?
Webcke and Civinoceva would've held up to pretty much anyone from the 80's era IMO. Chief Harragon also. Cheap shot merchants like JWH would've got sorted out with plenty of get-squares, not sure how well he can take it when he's on the receiving end.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
It's a tough one because you say today's game, but I consider Tallis' era to be harder than what we see today, and there would be plenty from his time who would have made it.. anyway I am going to make my selection from more recent times, guys who I believe would not have looked out of place in the days of old, and it's quite similar to yours

1.Napa
2.JWH
3.Matai
4.Gal
5.Maguire
Napa's self-stimulating of his anal gland mightn't of been held in too high esteem by Roach, Davidson, Les Boyd, Peter Kelly etc!

A

Alexander the Great

Totally forgot about Masai. One if the very few to be able to destroy blokes without the shoulder charge.

Good call.

1.Napa
2.JWH
3.Matai
4.Gal
5.Maguire

A

Alexander the Great

I think anytime after the mid 90's??
Cam is a fucken skidmark bro, hate the piece of shit.
What specific timeframes are we looking at? Blokes from say 2000 onwards who would have held their own in the 70's/80's? Or earlier when it was just anything goes on the field?
Webcke and Civinoceva would've held up to pretty much anyone from the 80's era IMO. Chief Harragon also. Cheap shot merchants like JWH would've got sorted out with plenty of get-squares, not sure how well he can take it when he's on the receiving end.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think anytime after the mid 90's??

yeah fair enough, I reckon there would be a whole host of players that you could name if we are going back that far.. your O'meleys, your Spud Carrols, Chief, etc... think a lot of guys in the game currently would struggle though!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
LoLo wouldn't have made it in the game up until the super league war.
The only one we know of today that could would be Cam Smith because he was virtually around then. Since he debuted in 2002.

Other players who could make it back then for me include;
Nathan Brown
JWH
Tavita Pangai jr
Tristan Sailor
Jarrod Wallace
Jai arrow
Josh McGuire

Our own Lachlan Lewis