Top 5 Bulldogs elimination games you attended or watched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a hard one with so many great games over the years but here is my Top 5 which I was fortunate enough to attend.

1) 1995 grand final - culmination of a great semi final campaign, edge of your seat game and an upset premiership.

2) 2004 grand final - tight game, down at half time, we beat the Rorters, Ryan's ankle tap on Crocker at the end and another premiership.

3) 1998 Parra semi final - underdogs, miraculous comeback, relf's miracle pass for Silva's try & Halligan's sideline conversion to tie the game. If Polla-Mounter's 60m field goal attempt on the full time siren cleared the crossbar then probably would have been no. 1.

4) 1995 St George semi final - rain at the SFS, throwback to old school forward bashing game, Pay goes toe to toe with Tallis, late Dean Pay try to win it and we hold on at the siren. Felt like I had played in that game at the end.

5) 1995 Canberra semi final - full strength Canberra side, they were hot favourites and we smashed them, Simon gillies was immense and the perfect revenge for the 1994 grand final.

Other notable mentions (didn't attend all of these), the list could go on longer too:
1988 Grand Final
1984 Grand Final
1985 Grand Final
1980 Grand Final
1985 ET Balmain semi final - Andrew Farrar try
1998 ET semi final comeback win against Newcastle

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't beat your top 5 but here's some more notable mentions

-1994 semi vs Raiders which ended in extra time with a Daryl Halligan field goal
-1995 semi vs Brisbane when Dean Pay breaks Glen Lazarus's ribs early in the match with a brutal tackle and Halligan chases down Willie Carne
-1999 semi vs Roosters we bashed a much more fancied Roosters side off the park to win 12-8

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
1995 SF vs Broncos, 24-10. I'll never forget that game. Dean Pay was ruthless. We were down 0-4 early, but dominated the rest of the first half, and had solid defense in the 2nd. We conceded a try in the 2nd half to Darren Smith, however it was off a very unfavorable bounce off the Langer kick to Silva. Halligan also kicked 6/6 that day, including 2 from the extreme right-hand side of the field with the sun in his eyes.

Freaking legend.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1995 SF vs Broncos, 24-10. I'll never forget that game. Dean Pay was ruthless. We were down 0-4 early, but dominated the rest of the first half, and had solid defense in the 2nd. We conceded a try in the 2nd half to Darren Smith, however it was off a very unfavorable bounce off the Langer kick to Silva. Halligan also kicked 6/6 that day, including 2 from the extreme right-hand side of the field with the sun in his eyes.

Freaking legend.
What a great game. That was an awesome atmosphere. Especially after they knocked us out the year before.

I was pretty vocal at the games when supporting the Dogs and after full time I remember a kid about 8 who was a Broncos supporter with his dad walk past as he was leaving and abused me. He had tears streaming down his face. It was pretty funny, got to love that passion too.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
That 95 run was easily the best finals run in the history of the game but barely gets a mention.
I agree. Apart from the St. George game, the rest were games we easily won, including the GF considering that Manly beat us 26-0 earlier in the season.

Man that choke from Manly was one of their best :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't beat your top 5 but here's some more notable mentions

-1994 semi vs Raiders which ended in extra time with a Daryl Halligan field goal
-1995 semi vs Brisbane when Dean Pay breaks Glen Lazarus's ribs early in the match with a brutal tackle and Halligan chases down Willie Carne
-1999 semi vs Roosters we bashed a much more fancied Roosters side off the park to win 12-8
You're right I forgot the 94 win over Canberra. Unfortunately didn't get out to that game.

99 game was great too. I remember it wss a Roosters home semi and there were about 27,000 Dogs supporters and maybe 3,000 Roosters supporters. Adrian Lam came out and said all he saw when ran out was blue & white.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That 95 run was easily the best finals run in the history of the game but barely gets a mention.
Completely agree. It was game after game. Think Simon Gillies played himself into an Australian jersey from memory.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The 98 SF game VS Newcastle.. went into extra time.. Silva made an incredible run from.basically picking ball on dead ingoal and going deep into opposition Territory early in extra time..

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great games there^

More recently, I was at the 2014 elimination final vs Manly and it completely fucked with my mind. Up 16-0 till the 39th minute.

Leading the whole match, everyone was confident until the crazy drop ball from Ennis in the in-goal led to a try and also Reni Maitua being sin-binned with 10 to go. Crowd was about to meltdown after such a dominant first half. Then Reynolds kicked the ref with the ball and we got the ball back due to a rule nobody even knew about lol. To this day I don't know how we won that game.

Oh and who can forget the famous James Graham to Mitch Brown spray. Classic

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Completely agree. It was game after game. Think Simon Gillies played himself into an Australian jersey from memory.
Don't think Gillies got picked. Only the ARL affiliated players did. Manly and Canberra had only lost 2 games each all year, and we flogged them both.

Malla

Reaction score
Great games there^

More recently, I was at the 2014 elimination final vs Manly and it completely fucked with my mind. Up 16-0 till the 39th minute.

Leading the whole match, everyone was confident until the crazy drop ball from Ennis in the in-goal led to a try and also Reni Maitua being sin-binned with 10 to go. Crowd was about to meltdown after such a dominant first half. Then Reynolds kicked the ref with the ball and we got the ball back due to a rule nobody even knew about lol. To this day I don't know how we won that game.

Oh and who can forget the famous James Graham to Mitch Brown spray. Classic
That's probably one of my favourite games from recent memory. That was a roller coaster of emotions. So much more happened during that game that you havent mentioned.....Hodko injuring his knee then coming back on to kick the winning field goal, Maitua getting sin binned late in the game. We forced golden point with 12 men... it was such an awesome game to be at. I really believed we would win the comp that year just by the way the team got were close knit and wanted to win. That Ennis injury was fatal.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's probably one of my favourite games from recent memory. That was a roller coaster of emotions. So much more happened during that game that you havent mentioned.....Hodko injuring his knee then coming back on to kick the winning field goal, Maitua getting sin binned late in the game. We forced golden point with 12 men... it was such an awesome game to be at. I really believed we would win the comp that year just by the way the team got were close knit and wanted to win. That Ennis injury was fatal.
That was tough going. Had no voice left afterwards. Pretty much the same with the Penrith game too.

Reaction score
the 95 win over the raiders was my favourite. my club belconnen utd had its presentation day the day after the game, so i got to enjoy giving brad clyde stick about their loss

Reaction score
andrew farrers kicking game in the 84-85 finals was pretty impressive, you don't see long kicking games like that any more

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even though we lost, I loved the prelim in 09 against parra. The atmosphere was crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.