Opinion Toomaga

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the best stat for Renouf was 0 missed tackles. He can be a bit lazy in defence sometimes but great game from him and he can only grow from some more game time.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
the best stat for Renouf was 0 missed tackles. He can be a bit lazy in defence sometimes but great game from him and he can only grow from some more game time.
It was also refreshing to see him admit post game that he struggled with the pace of the game when he first came on and not spew all the usual cliche shit. Comes across that he has really taken in on board and now he will work to get up to pace after being in reserves for so long.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He’s raw but with the right coach (fuck) he can become a beast. Him and Ogden

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This guy is a real champion of a bloke and will shine once he has been given proper direction
It’s not fair to RT and others to be constantly rotated between first/reserve grade
Leave him in the team so his confidence can build and get used to the speed of the game
Our bench was out of sequence due to injuries so he played unusual minutes
Pay needs to be smart and inject him at the right time

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have to be

8 tolman
10 Ogden

Bench
Napa and renouf

Still don't have enough confidence in Ogden defence for him to be on the field without tolmam
Need to get you in the coaches box. Never a truer word spoken.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was also refreshing to see him admit post game that he struggled with the pace of the game when he first came on and not spew all the usual cliche shit. Comes across that he has really taken in on board and now he will work to get up to pace after being in reserves for so long.
Yes it was good to see him humble and wanting to learn. I hope he keeps growing both him and Ogden show good signs or developing into good quality forwards.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Very humble and quietly spoken player too. Doesn't have much agro with him, but is a smart player who will listen, take on, and react to advice.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once he gets "First grade fit" he will be awesome for us. Much better than Fualalo, Sue, Smith & Elliot.
IMO, he & Ogden are our future & there is no better time for them to clock up first grade experience right now when we got nothing to lose.
Only trouble with RT is that is currently off contract and we haven't yet re signed him.

The thing I was most impressed with him for V's the Knights was something he done better than any of our players - his 5th tackle kick pressure on the opposition. If you get a chance to watch the 2nd half again you will see he was excellent with this.

The Sue injury although bad for him, and lets hope he is ok - could be a blessing in disguise. He & Ogden must be in our 17 each week.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay just needs to keep him in first grade now to build his first grade match fitness and experience

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yh surely he holds his spot, though I'm concerned that Pay didn't mention him in the presser yet at the same time said Smith done well even though he missed 10 tackles in the first half... Lol
Pay lol..

Over it, it needs to be done an dusted so we can look forward to a better 2020. We need it after this year.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He did look a bit lost out there at times standing wide off the ruck but i put it down to Pays shit coaching.
I put it down to his inexperience and his difficulty with the pace of an NRL game. He handles the speed of play in CC OK but the step up to NRL level is huge. Strongly suggest that you listen to his post game interview, in which he admits that he took time to get used to the step up in intensity.
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/07/12/toomaga-pays-credit-to-time-in-canterbury-cup/

Go Dogs

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I put it down to his inexperience and his difficulty with the pace of an NRL game. He handles the speed of play in CC OK but the step up to NRL level is huge. Strongly suggest that you listen to his post game interview, in which he admits that he took time to get used to the step up in intensity.
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/07/12/toomaga-pays-credit-to-time-in-canterbury-cup/

Go Dogs
How is he supposed to get used to intensity when he hardly ever gets picked ???

I still put it down to Pays inability to get them up to speed. That is the job of the coach. Playing them last year for 5 -10 mins at a time doesnt allow you to get used to the intensity .

Against Knights only reason he got excessive game time was solely because of Injuries.

Same applies with Ogden, plays really well yet gets benched time after time for the next immortal Adam Elliot. How is he supposed to get better and play consistently when he plays FG 1 week then sits out for God knows how long.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw Renouf interview and he is no doubt a very very nice a bloke, in fact to nice a fellow to be Rugby league player.
With all the skills coaches around the team the head coach has to to concentrate in been a good mentor, Pay does not look like a good mentor to me.
I believe if Renouf had good mentor to steer him the right way and develop his confidence he would be one of the best props in the game.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How is he supposed to get used to intensity when he hardly ever gets picked ???
I still put it down to Pays inability to get them up to speed. That is the job of the coach. Playing them last year for 5 -10 mins at a time doesnt allow you to get used to the intensity .
Against Knights only reason he got excessive game time was solely because of Injuries.
Same applies with Ogden, plays really well yet gets benched time after time for the next immortal Adam Elliot. How is he supposed to get better and play consistently when he plays FG 1 week then sits out for God knows how long.
FMD, use Elliot, of course, he’s the favoured whipping boy, Ogden is a prop and Elliot is a back rower, it’s a meaningless comparison. If you want Ogden to play more minutes then pick a prop that he should replace and we can continue the discussion.

Ever growing minutes is how you get a player used to the NRL level of intensity, not throw them in the deep end and hope that they don’t drown. ToOmaga himself said it, he needed the time in CC to grow. I wouldn’t claim to know more than the player himself knows about what he needs, let alone what the coaching staff knows.

FWIW I wouldn’t consider “Sitting out” as remotely the same as not playing due to injury.

Go Dogs

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The big problem with Too'maga and Ogden is that they tire very quickly.
Thats the reason they are overlooked. Once they get up to the pace of the game, they will be OK.
Too'maga also doesnt get involved enough. He is happy to stand back and see what happens.

bullpup71

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The big problem with Too'maga and Ogden is that they tire very quickly.
Thats the reason they are overlooked. Once they get up to the pace of the game, they will be OK.
Too'maga also doesnt get involved enough. He is happy to stand back and see what happens.
So what you’re saying is they need to be picked to get up to speed.