Too Much Inexperience

Status
Not open for further replies.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At the moment we have inexperience all over at our club from on the field to the front office

FG Team - full of kids many of which would not be playing NRL at any other club at moment

Coach - rookie coach. Hard to be sure how good Pay is with a bunch of rookies running around. Regardless this is his first gig as a FG coach & not ideal in our current predicament all things considered. I would have much more confidence having a coach thats built an NRL team previously or had some experience. We understood the need to change from Des, but with letting so many FG players go rebuilding a team will need a great coach & great recruitment. Do we have that?

Admin - CA/ Lynn Andersin minimal experience running a footy club. This club is at the very bottom now. CA was a great coach but he won tye comp back in 95 & 99. Does he have the know how in the front office? Do they have the contacts off the field and know-how to rebuild the club - its a valid question and time will tell. But blindly believing in the current board out of spite for the old board is not the answer. The time for Bullfrog talk & early 90s talk with how Bullfrog did things & CA went as coach is over. Its a completely different era now, far more proffessional, far more competitive off the field and alot more $$$ involved.

Everyone will have to be held accountable. The recruitment till now -previous admin & current admin is poor & team selections average to poor.

Meaney & Cogger is continued inexperience. We need to sign NRL level players, even if average we need players that can do a job at NRL level that have some experience in NRL. Signing kids for lower grades is ok, or kids that you know will make it at NRL that should always be done, but baseing a rebuilding strategy around finding kids is the wrong way.

Weve lost way to much experience on the field from Graham, Reynolds, Woods, Mbye, Morris Bros etc the list is long

Woods & Mbye were let go to let Pay build a team, but they havnt been replaced with at least NRL level recruits. Other clubs let good players leave once they have replacements lined.

I dont agree with the decision to let the Morris bros leave, we could have kept both, we will be bringing in even more inexperience in Crighton.

We need to sign as many NRL level players ( forget superstars ) & then we can start replacing them with quality once better players are available to sign.

I dont have much faith at moment from everything ive seen. I was alot more confident at the back end of last year with 3 good wins especially the great effort to beat a Dragons team that was finals bound with a win in the final round. We look far worse this year.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more... and the problem is there is no pressure from anywhere to really force any of the above to perform better.

Bulldogs HQ is easy street at the moment. Zero accountability.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the moment we have inexperience all over at our club from on the field to the front office

FG Team - full of kids many of which would not be playing NRL at any other club at moment

Coach - rookie coach. Hard to be sure how good Pay is with a bunch of rookies running around. Regardless this is his first gig as a FG coach & not ideal in our current predicament all things considered. I would have much more confidence having a coach thats built an NRL team previously or had some inexperience. We understood the need to change from Des, but with letting so many FG players go rebuilding a team will need a great coach & great recruitment. Do we have that?

Admin - CA/ Lynn Andersin minimal experience running a footy club. This club is at the very bottom now. CA was a great coach but he won tye comp back in 95 & 99. Does he have the know how in the front office? Do they have the contacts off the field and know-how to rebuild the club - its a valid question and time will tell. But blindly believing in the current board out of spite for the old board is not the answer. The time for Bullfrog talk & early 90s talk with how Bullfrog did things & CA went as coach is over. Its a completely different era now, far more proffessional, far more competitive off the field and alot more $$$ involved.

Everyone will have to be held accountable. The recruitment till now -previous admin & current admin is poor & team selections average to poor.

Meaney & Cogger is continued inexperience. We need to sign NRL level players, even if average we need players that can do a job at NRL level that have some experience in NRL. Signing kids for lower grades is ok, or kids that you know will make it at NRL that should always be done, but baseing a rebuilding strategy around finding kids is the wrong way.

Weve lost way to much experience on the field from Graham, Reynolds, Woods, Mbye, Morris Bros etc the list is long

Woods & Mbye were let go to let Pay build a team, but they havnt been replaced with at least NRL level recruits. Other clubs let good players leave once they have replacements lined.

I dont agree with the decision to let the Morris bros leave, we could have kept both, we will be bringing in even more inexperience in Crighton.

We need to sign as many NRL level players ( forget superstars ) & then we can start replacing them with quality once better players are available to sign.

I dont have much faith at moment from everything ive seen. I was alot more confident at the back end of last year with 3 good wins especially the great effort to beat a Dragons team that was finals bound with a win in the final round. We look far worse this year.
Agree,I like dean pay as a bloke,but it's obvious the club is putting a broom through the place,and going for youth,if that's the case we need an experienced coach,and maybe use dean as an assistant.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree,I like dean pay as a bloke,but it's obvious the club is putting a broom through the place,and going for youth,if that's the case we need an experienced coach,and maybe use dean as an assistant.
Were going into uncharted waters without a captain thats been there before.. its risky

We all hope they succeed but ive got no idea if they can get us out of this mess.. its a big job ahead and inexperience in any position on or off the field is the last thing we need right now

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Were going into uncharted waters without a captain thats been there before.. its risky

We all hope they succeed but ive got no idea if they can get us out of this mess.. its a big job ahead and inexperience in any position on or off the field is the last thing we need right now
Problem is there is no pressure to perform. The 3 amigos had the current goons breathing down their neck ready for victory at the board elections.

Come 2-3 years of complete failure, when everyone heads to the polls again for voting, there won't be other options/challengers that can make the current mob pay for their problems.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Problem is there is no pressure to perform. The 3 amigos had the current goons breathing down their neck ready for victory at the board elections.

Come 2-3 years of complete failure, when everyone heads to the polls again for voting, there won't be other options/challengers that can make the current mob pay for their problems.
It shouldne be about revenge or Paying for anything

they all are trying their best.. but if their unable to succeed lets hope we have competent options..

we just need people at our club that know what theyre doing and know how to get us out of this mess..

I dont believe in mass board changes personally.. For eg I like Steve Price as a player but what experience does he have dealing with running a footy club & helping building a roster and rebuilding a club

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tonight was a low point; but the guys just lost their way after Parra got 60% of the ball and we were down one player. They scored while we were down one man, and off a flukey intercept from a kick. We were unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions - the bounce of the ball is never kind to us. A young team finds it hard to settle and get back their rhythym. It's a learning curve, and they'll get better. They need a captain who can settle them and get them back onto doing the things that matter.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think waterboy would be more fitting for a guy of his talents

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The current board inherited everything in front of them,so after 5 months,you're prepared to put the boot in,great supporters like you we don't need.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Nobody is prepared to take control of the team, not even the bloke holding himself out to be our captain. We need leadership in key positions. Find a good 9 that manufactures line break assists and can pass the ball. Don’t rely on our junior development. Most players who have come through our system start with low skill levels and end their careers the same way.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
we just need people at our club that know what theyre doing and know how to get us out of this mess..
I dont believe in mass board changes personally.. For eg I like Steve Price as a player but what experience does he have dealing with running a footy club & helping building a roster and rebuilding a club
When the old board got shafted we lost a VERY astute operator in Anter Issac. That bloke could have taken the club to new heights. He was already doing good things as chairman for Football NSW.

He also had a lot of business connections out there as well.

It's a shame we lost him.

Steve Price's experience comes from managing a "corner store style" supermarket in NZ. That's it. Would be like me managing / owning and IGA and suddenly thinking I could run on the Sydney Swans board of directors.

I said ages ago, this current board lacks professionalism. The writing on the wall was there from early on, but instead I got criticised for it.

The 3 amigos of the past weren't any better, but at least they kinda had an idea on the business side of things.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Long an lonely road, all we can do is watch or don’t watch whatever your preference is.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more... and the problem is there is no pressure from anywhere to really force any of the above to perform better.

Bulldogs HQ is easy street at the moment. Zero accountability.
The Des/Dib/Raelan excuse wont last for much longer. The next election is only 18 months away. The board needs to secure some good quality nrl level players and improve results or its see you later to current board. Pay can pack his bags also if on field results dont improve dramatically.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tonight was a low point; but the guys just lost their way after Parra got 60% of the ball and we were down one player. They scored while we were down one man, and off a flukey intercept from a kick. We were unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions - the bounce of the ball is never kind to us. A young team finds it hard to settle and get back their rhythym. It's a learning curve, and they'll get better. They need a captain who can settle them and get them back onto doing the things that matter.
Totally agree with your post especially with regards to a captain

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I cannot understand why next season is being set up for a fail?
I have a bad feeling it is to make it much easier to not renew Pay's contact and hey presto the Andersons can appoint their choice as coach with a bucket load of money to recruit.
Why if we are now well under the cap are we front loading contracts and not recruiting anyone?

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the old board got shafted we lost a VERY astute operator in Anter Issac. That bloke could have taken the club to new heights. He was already doing good things as chairman for Football NSW.

He also had a lot of business connections out there as well.

It's a shame we lost him.

Steve Price's experience comes from managing a "corner store style" supermarket in NZ. That's it. Would be like me managing / owning and IGA and suddenly thinking I could run on the Sydney Swans board of directors.

I said ages ago, this current board lacks professionalism. The writing on the wall was there from early on, but instead I got criticised for it.

The 3 amigos of the past weren't any better, but at least they kinda had an idea on the business side of things.
Please dont say the 3 amigos had kind of an idea..... that is way off the mark

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This year has been ordinary. There's no doubt about that. I will leave the judging till the end of next year. The club was in a disgraceful mess. Jrn neglected, players overpaid , cap in a mess. The previous staff took a gamble with the roster and fell short. We lost 2 gf .
Give the new staff a small amount of time to change the direction of the club. Its what the members voted for.
The youth policy i support. I think the recruitment of a couple of key experience players to support that policy must follow though.
We aren't as ordinary as the table shows. We aren't getting flogged every week and have lost numerous loss by small margins .

The next few years are crucial for the club. The new board need to get it right,if they fail its going to be a long time between drinks.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last tackle kicks failed us again, you cannot grubber in heavy traffic and the long high ball is predictable, need something different.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
@Trafford10 I can see it now.
2020 board elections (after 2 years of back to back failures) "We still need more time to undo the damage done by the previous board.. "
That line will get them back in.

Then Dean Pay will get sacked or "stand down". Suddenly enter Ben Anderson (their son) as head coach...
correct, Pay will be their cannon fodder.

Status
Not open for further replies.