Tonga's season over as Dogs ponder horror injury toll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
At least there will be no more speculation about when Willie T is coming back

----------------------------------------

Bulldogs and Australia centre Willie Tonga will undergo surgery next week and miss the rest of the season, with long-serving club doctor Hugh Hazard labelling the premiers' injury blight the worst in at least 24 years.

Tonga's knee surgery was confirmed after last night's 56-4 flogging by Parramatta. Halfback Brent Sherwin (calf), fullback Luke Patten (ankle), second-rower Sonny Bill Williams (knee) and winger Hazem El Masri (knee) will also be sidelined until 2006 unless the Dogs make the finals.

"He just didn't heal - his medial ligament didn't tighten up," Hazard said of Tonga. "We gave him every opportunity for it to happen. It hasn't happened so we're looking to his long-term career. He's got to have a stable knee for the way that he plays and the things that he does."

The medico could not recall a worse run of casualties since 1981, when the Belmore side missed the finals the season after winning the competition with a memorable grand-final win over Eastern Suburbs.

"When we won the grand final in 1980, the following year we had all those boys hurt," he said. "Greg Brentnall broke his arm twice, four or five blokes got glandular fever and we didn't even make the top five."

Other lame 2005 Dogs include hooker Adam Perry (calf), utility Brad Morrin (shoulder), halfback Brett Oliver (knee), prop Trevor Thurling (knee) and fullback Trent Cutler (leg).

Last night the Bulldogs missed 46 tackles on the way to their heaviest loss to the blue and golds. Their error count was surprisingly low - 14, with prop Roy Asotasi making three - but as captain Andrew Ryan pointed out, the defence was their weak point.

The Dogs will find themselves three competition points outside the top eight with three games to play if Melbourne beat the Warriors at Olympic Park tonight.

But coach Steve Folkes refused to use the lengthy injury toll as an excuse after last night's 10-try humiliation.

"We haven't made excuses all year," he said. "We're not about to start now."

Asked if the finals were out of reach, Folkes said: "If we play like that, certainly. You never know but obviously we would need to play a helluva lot better than that … depending on how Melbourne go, we're still only one point out of the eight if they get beat. It was one of those games that comes along every now and then and unfortunately we were on the end of a big scoreline."

Second-rower Ryan characterised the evening as "not excellent". "Everything [Parramatta] did was fantastic," the former Eel said.

"Any loss is pretty hard to take but it's disappointing to lose by that margin. We'll still turn up and train tomorrow. It's on again next week. We'll keep fighting."

Asked to sum up the defeat, Folkes didn't try to be profound.

"We were outplayed by a much better team on the night," he said. "Obviously that's an understatement … what would you like me to say?"

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
i guess we have to hope warriors win tonight,
but i thought tonga was coming back next week?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I want to show some optimism but what is there to base it on? a trifecta of crap performances?

dog mad

Kennel Established
Reaction score
With Hugh saying this is the worst he's seen in 24 years i reckon that from here the only way is up! im looking foward to the future and it looks bright! Let the teams have their 15 minutes but they will quickly forget who we r! If we start next year with ALL our players fit n healthy we will sound an ominus warning from the word 'Go' !!!
Every other teams has been riddled by injury and this year was just our turn!
keep your spirits up people as the future of not only our club but our team looks to be very promising with all our pups getting a taste of the top flight!
We will fly high once again!!
GO THA DOGGIES!!
reni for PM

Bulldogs50

Justin..
Reaction score
dog mad said:
With Hugh saying this is the worst he's seen in 24 years i reckon that from here the only way is up! im looking foward to the future and it looks bright! Let the teams have their 15 minutes but they will quickly forget who we r! If we start next year with ALL our players fit n healthy we will sound an ominus warning from the word 'Go' !!!
keep your spirits up people as the future of not only our club but our team looks to be very promising with all our pups getting a taste of the top flight!
GO THA DOGGIES!!
reni for PM
we'll be premiership favourites by the next season...wait and watch

JengJeng

Waterboy
Reaction score
Brissy Bulldog said:
"He just didn't heal - his medial ligament didn't tighten up," Hazard said of Tonga. "We gave him every opportunity for it to happen. It hasn't happened so we're looking to his long-term career. He's got to have a stable knee for the way that he plays and the things that he does."
prolly because he's always partying. :P seriously, he's always down here in brisbane...in clubs having a drink and busting a move

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I was the originator of Calling Tonga Willie T

just my younger bro stole it from me and started calling him that on the forums then other ppl picked it up and used it for themselves

BD84= the trend setter (even though a huge majority of you will deny it :D)

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
the injuries have really shook the dogs this year. they have to try and build the youngr guys up though because what if teh same thing happens next year?

1eyedfanatic

OnThePunt
Reaction score
dog mad said:
GO THA DOGGIES!!
reni for PM
awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.