Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Tonga's our man

By PETER JENKINS

March 30, 2006

QUEENSLAND have called on the ARU to help them poach rugby league Test centre Willie Tonga.

The Reds have made contact with leading ARU figures – including Wallaby coach John Connolly – wanting a guaranteed contract top-up if the Bulldogs star agrees to switch codes next season.

"We've got to work together on this," QRU chief executive Theo Psaros told The Daily Telegraph.

"All four provinces (in Super 14) need to be strong and if we identify opportunities to boost our squad, then that will also enhance the Wallabies."

Negotiations involving the Reds and Tonga's management are still in their infancy after The Daily Telegraph revealed last week that Queensland coach-in-waiting Eddie Jones was keen to pursue the 22-year-old.

But talks will be stepped up with a face-to-face meeting planned this month between Tonga's agent and Jones, who is in the UK coaching the London-based Saracens club but will take over the Reds after this season.

Several high-profile NRL players, including Broncos fullback Karmichael Hunt, have confirmed they will listen to rugby union offers.

But Tsaros said Tonga was the No. 1 priority for the Reds.

"We haven't progressed with Hunt because my belief is that he's a Bronco through and through," said Psaros.

"But Tonga, and he has played rugby before, is of interest to us."

The ARU has already opened discussions with the world's best rugby league centre Mark Gasnier – through a meeting with Connolly and recruitment officer Michael O'Connor.

But while the parent body is driving those negotiations the Reds have taken the active role in pursuing Tonga.

Queensland could offer him up to $150,000 a season to play Super 14. An ARU top-up would then be required to carry the agreement towards $300,000.

Test match incentives would give Tonga a chance to make more than $400,000 – double his Bulldogs salary. Potential raids on the NRL will also increase with Western Force bosses last night telling The Daily Telegraph they are targeting rugby league in a bid to boost the strike power of their rookie backline.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Having seen quite a few Reds games this year, they need a lot more than Willie T to help them !.

A

Abz

Willie Isn't Going Anywher!!! We Made Him Who Is Today And We Wanna Keep Him At Belmore >:( >:( :nervous:

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL @ Queensland Reds. They have got to be the shtest rugby club in THE WORLD. If they think their problems will be solved by buying a centre, they've got issues. Instead of wasting your time with a centre, gun centre, why not go after Matt Giteau?

Willie is a gun but say he does go to Union, I'll tell you now that he wont make the Wallabies. Clyde Rathbone can barely make the Wallabies so what chance does a newcomer to Union have?

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Just another ploy by his manager to raise his worth in the NRL.

If he wants to go, let him go, no point in keeping a player that doesnt want to be in our team.

Just because we lose a player doesnt mean the end of the Dogs, which has been proven time and time again.

M

MrCharisma

I've gotta agree with KE completely... the Reds are horrible. Berrick Barnes hasn't saved them, so they go for another RL player. What a joke... how about you breed your own players you hacks!

A

atomic_crimson

^^^ exactly! but with players off contract rumour mills are going to run wild... until the dogs say anything i woudnt get worked up people :grinning:

JuStINcReDIbLe.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah u are right Bobby he has

alrite they might aswell sign James Pickering while they are it

JuStINcReDIbLe.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
pathetic Union

god i hate the ARU

i like watching rugby.. but when they steal our players... fukin useless bastards

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
JC said:
I like watching rugby.. but when they steal our players... fukin useless bastards
I know but how much better is Tiquri and Rogers in Union?

Tiquri was good in League but he wasnt THAT good.

JuStINcReDIbLe.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i know what you mean.

aw well im not going 2 lose sleep if Tonga wants to leave tbh..

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
JC said:
yeah i know what you mean.

aw well im not going 2 lose sleep if Tonga wants to leave tbh..
Me too. Dont get me wrong, I'd LOVE it if Tonga stayed with us but no biggie if we dont. Remember when we lost Vagana, Talau and Harris? It was the end of the world.

If Rugby want to swap Tonga for Rokocoko i'd be more than happy to. :D

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
yeah we bought good young guys that will be ready to take his spot next year.

Main priorities are: -

Asotasi
Maitua
Myles
Patten

JuStINcReDIbLe.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
K E said:
Me too. Dont get me wrong, I'd LOVE it if Tonga stayed with us but no biggie if we dont. Remember when we lost Vagana, Talau and Harris? It was the end of the world.

If Rugby want to swap Tonga for Rokocoko i'd be more than happy to. :D
For sure. Tonga is good but i belive Vagana and Talau were better back in their day.. and Harris well his defence was outstanding..

if tonga sees $$$ then Union is his place.. just remember which club made u who u are thats all...

Status
Not open for further replies.