SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If that happened to Cameron Smith the ref says try

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Your right and it was probably a loose carry, but if you are not going to refer a try scoring opportunity which decides a world cup semi final then scrap the video ref system altogether. The fact that it wasn't referred is the joke. There is an argument that it was a loose carry and there is an angle that looks like it was raked out. Cecchin should of referred as a no try, the pommy video ref would of said no try and then at least a process which respected the gravity of the decision would of been followed. People are celebrating that Cecchin should be congratulated for his courage in making a correct decision and not going to the video ref. Where was his courage in awarding a penalty for the entire back line being offside on the same play??
Yeah I accept that,
I think it should have gone to the video ref,
But irrespective the right call was made and the right result achieved.

I think the Tongan fans need to let it go.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Basically the fans are mad because he didn't go up stairs because they know it's a lottery. Even though everyone with common sense knows that has been a knock on since the beginning of time.

Massive sook over the correct call lol.

Ironstine

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Odd, I've seen it go against players making a tackle plenty of times who didn't even have eyes on the ball.

I've always seen it as a 50/50. Refs discretion. There's never been a black and white rule in this scenario as the rulings have always been a roll of the dice.
I've also seen balls being deliberately stripped as the defending player pulls his arm out of the tackle and it's ruled a loose carry or lost ball.

In saying that, I really couldn't agree or disagree with anyone here. In my opinion, it's a 50/50 that was left in the hands of the ref... which is wrong, because it determines the game and gives the the power and ability to decide outcomes.
Archer said the call was correct because Whitehead wasn't trying to knock the ball out . Therefore once again we are reading minds and my mind reading abilities thought that Whitehead did a great job to reach out and deliberately attack the ball. It didn't remotely look like an accident to me. Great work Whitehead is my opinion.

The more we can take mind reading by refs out of the game the better. They did it with head high tackles. The old reflex action excuse was eliminated and high tackles were largely eliminated.

Based on this ruling what would coaches be instructing their defenders to do in the same situation? I believe they would say attack the ball because you have almost no hope of preventing a try any other way.

Malla

Reaction score
Basically the fans are mad because he didn't go up stairs because they know it's a lottery. Even though everyone with common sense knows that has been a knock on since the beginning of time.

Massive sook over the correct call lol.
Hard. I wasn't sure what the Tongans were complaining about... at first it was they were robbed because it was the wrong call, then when common sense prevailed and we saw it was the right call they started complaining about the fact he didnt go upstairs to the video ref lol

Tonga lost because their first half was lazy and shit, that is all.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hard. I wasn't sure what the Tongans were complaining about... at first it was they were robbed because it was the wrong call, then when common sense prevailed and we saw it was the right call they started complaining about the fact he didnt go upstairs to the video ref lol

Tonga lost because their first half was lazy and shit, that is all.
The video ref has made people argue about calls that no one would have bat an eyelid years ago. It just looked like a simple lost ball.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
he lost the ball!
the ref called it before he even picked it back up and put it down
correct call

we give the refs shite when they go to the video for the simplest of tries, but then bag him when he makes a quick call which is correct

im all for calling out refs when they are wrong, but just because it is a close call, doesn't mean the ref is wrong

why the hell is fifita playing out on the edge anyway? haha

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
World Cup 2017 has turned into Sulkamania 2017.

Apparently Cecchin had to change his facebook name with the abuse he copped. Also lol @ a petition over a football game.

There's gotta be an investigation!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100% no try in my book.

Was going for a tackle, down low. Yes, hand makes contact with ball, but it does many times when affecting a tackle side on.

That was much more of a loose carry from Fifita, then it was a rake from Whitehead.

That said - should of been checked.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The irony is it would have went to the English third match official!!! Which means if he decided it was a try, he would have taken up residency in Australia, due to the death warrant they would’ve placed on him back in England!

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Tongan fans are really embarrassing themselves now

Time for some pride and self respect

Lol at those calling Chechen a racist
Lol
Really
They played the race card

Fuck me dead

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tongan fans are really embarrassing themselves now

Time for some pride and self respect

Lol at those calling Chechen a racist
Lol
Really
They played the race card

Fuck me dead
Why aren’t they blaming fafita for not securing the ball!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just watched the footage... it really could have gone either way.

It does appear that the bal is stripped out, BUT the NRL always make noise about the onus being on the ball carried to ensure the ball is secure. Seen it countless times in the NRL.

So in summary:
Based on footage and logic - should be play on and a try.
Based on NRL rules and previous identical scenarios in the NRL - should have been called a knock on.
In the NRL it depends on which team the NRL wants to win.

This was not a competition under NRL laws & interpretations so by what you say it was a try.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why is this even newsworthy.

It was a loose carry, ref got it correct.

We all should be happy that Fifita fucked up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.