News Tom Flegler snubs Sydney mega-deals to stick with Broncos

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Courier-Mail can reveal Flegler has agreed to terms on a 12-month extension - rejecting three-year mega deals worth $2.4 million from Sydney clubs to remain at the Broncos until the end of 2021.

With Flegler secure, the Broncos will now ramp-up plans to secure his forward cohort David Fifita, who is being chased by four Sydney clubs and has fielded $1 million interest from the Warriors.

Flegler was off-contract at the end of next season, meaning he was able to field formal offers from November 1 last month, triggering a bidding frenzy with up to 11 NRL rivals lodging expressions of interest.

Flegler’s management met with the Cowboys and Titans, while two Sydney clubs threw down the gauntlet to the Broncos by offering the 20-year-old front-rower multi-year contracts worth $800,000 annually.

But the Broncos have staved off big-money poaching raids, with Flegler advising he wants to stay at Red Hill as a precursor to inking a one-year upgrade worth around $600,000.

The Broncos are expected to formally announced Flegler’s retention in the next 48 hours.

The Tully product could have earned more money by quitting the Broncos but the raw-boned bookend had other motivations.

Fifita made his State of Origin debut this year and Flegler is the next Bronco tipped for Maroons honours, making his NRL debut in round one last season against the Melbourne Storm.

Flegler showed rare mental toughness for a fledgling front-rower, playing 23 games in his rookie 2019 season, including his finals debut in Brisbane’s shock 58-0 sudden-death loss to Parramatta in September.

Cashed-up NRL rivals are attempting to pick the eyes out of Brisbane’s batch of wonder kids but Flegler is the latest young gun to display the loyalty that saw Tevita Pangai Jr, Payne Haas and Matt Lodge sign new deals.

Now the Broncos will move to retain Fifita and are privately confident the Maroons and Test hulk is going nowhere.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/bdc4ae0164b40b28534bec34d2a018f6

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Who the fuck offered him 800k lololol

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Broncos are becoming more and more like the ‘Dogs 5 years ago with megabucks invested in the pack and average players everywhere else.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate.. Flegler should be signed up for a mill a season just for having the best name in the NRL

and he can play all the pokies he likes

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ROFL broncos endless salary cap continues...

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Rejecting 800 k to sign for 600 k. Pfft

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you surprised? Been like that since the 90's.
Not at all.
I'm just so surprised that two clubs can continuously rort the cap and nothing happens.

In any case, I wouldn't be spending 600 or 800k on this kid just yet.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not at all.
I'm just so surprised that two clubs can continuously rort the cap and nothing happens.

In any case, I wouldn't be spending 600 or 800k on this kid just yet.
It's annoying as shit knowing the rorts are happening but nothing done about it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a joke. Funny how they upgrade everyone but never get close to the cap while still signing Croft...

600k for a bench forward like Flegler, 650k for Haas and 750k for Lodge, 700k for TPJ and now 800k plus for Fifita? Those figures are conservative and that's $3.5 million already on five forwards.

Again, I don't blame Brisbane, I don't blame the NRL because they've proven to be corrupt and favour certain clubs. I blame the other smaller clubs for not saying anything about blatant cheating like this... Clearly those clubs don't care and are happy to make up the numbers.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
What a joke. Funny how they upgrade everyone but never get close to the cap while still signing Croft...

600k for a bench forward like Flegler, 650k for Haas and 750k for Lodge, 700k for TPJ and now 800k plus for Fifita? Those figures are conservative and that's $3.5 million already on five forwards.

Again, I don't blame Brisbane, I don't blame the NRL because they've proven to be corrupt and favour certain clubs. I blame the other smaller clubs for not saying anything about blatant cheating like this... Clearly those clubs don't care and are happy to make up the numbers.
Called this out on Facebook... Blind ***** attacking me saying I'm jealous haha. Milford and Bird on big coin... One fucker even said we lost roberts who freed up heaps of cash, my reply was oh the guy that Brisbane saved money by signing and getting rid of Copley...yeah I remember that rort to

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is well beyond a joke. NRL needs to start registering more than just contracts, need to start registering offers too. If a player has received multiple fair dinkum offers from clubs that are more than 10% above what the player accepts elsewhere than it should factor into cap calculations. If Flegler got multi-year contract offers worth 800k a year and those offers were above board than this should be his market valuation and it should be how much it costs Brisbane's cap.

Otherwise all this talk about the cap making the competition fairer is baloney, and theories of second books and brown paper bags will not go away.