SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
WHAT TIMELINE IS THIS?

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Historic New York rugby league bid set to attract NRL stars
New York is just a matter of weeks away from entering the English Rugby Football League structure with the same target as the recently promoted Toronto Wolfpack, entering the Super League.
Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
October 22, 2019 8:40pm

From Brookvale to Brooklyn, Bondi to Broadway, Shark Park to Central Park, Bankwest Stadium to Yankee Stadium.

Rugby league, New York is calling.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal New York’s historic bid to enter the English Rugby Football League structure is now just weeks from final approval.

Christmas this year in New York will now include a professional rugby league team.

It will be a whole new world for rugby league and a game-changer for off-contract Australian players.

And although Santa won’t be able to deliver the presents this year, New York has already started compiling an NRL wish list of players who are coming off contract after next season.

Most of them will be nearing the end of their careers and include Benji Marshall (34 years old), Kieran Foran (29), Brett Morris (33), Josh Morris (33), Darius Boyd (32), Sia Soliola (33), Aiden Tolman (30), Matt Prior (32), Jesse Bromwich (30), James Tamou (30) and James Graham (34).

New York will likely win entry into the third-tier League One for 2021. There would then be an expected promotion into the second-tier RFL Championship in 2022 before an anticipated rise into the top-flight Super League by 2023.

New York will aim to follow the same path as Toronto Wolfpack. Picture: Cole Burston
New York will aim to follow the same path as Toronto Wolfpack. Picture: Cole Burston
“The amount of players that have reached out and wanted to be involved has been ridiculous. This is huge,” said Ricky Wilby, the New York Rugby League chief executive.

The RFL is expected to rubber stamp New York’s entry into English rugby league before Christmas, and a $1 million-a-season marquee player will be targeted once in Super League.

“We would want players who are prepared to be involved in something from the ground up,” Wilby said.

“It (official entry from the RFL) probably won’t be days away but certainly weeks. We want it closed and sealed off by Christmas or the close of this year.

“That will give us a full year before we kick a ball. Things are progressing nicely.

New York would likely play games at Red Bull Arena in Harrison. Picture: Adam Hunger
New York would likely play games at Red Bull Arena in Harrison. Picture: Adam Hunger
“The players coming out of contract next year, we can start talking to them. That’s why we want to get it signed off before Christmas.

“It’s a whole new world for rugby league and for the player pool.”

New York hasn’t announced a nickname or logo but is working toward playing at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey — 12km west of Lower Manhattan.

The stadium is also the home of professional soccer club the New York Red Bulls.

Virgin Atlantic and Hilton Hotels are poised to be announced as New York’s major partners.

Their charter will be to nail down flight and accommodation packages for clubs which make the seven-hour trans-Atlantic journey.

The hope is for New York to copy the instant success of Toronto Wolfpack, who entered League One in 2017, were promoted the following season and are now heading into Super League.

“I think we will be told to take the League One route,” said Wilby, who has been dealing with RFL financial director Tony Sutton, who was in Australia for the World Nines.

The formalities for New York are being finalised and include liability for fans at home games.

Senior general manager of Hilton’s Newark Airport hotel, Paul Grande, was a special guest at this year’s Super League grand final at Old Trafford, Manchester. So too were Wilby and James Rowan, head of sports partnership for Virgin Atlantic.

Newark Liberty International Airport is located just 8km from Red Bull Arena.

Grande told the English media: “Ricky was looking in the area for hotels and the league came to our sales team and explained it was a potential start-up in the area.

“I’m keen to grow our business, that’s the selfish part, then as I saw the potential of this league and the vision of it, I want to be as big a part of it as possible.

“My initial reaction when not knowing the sport well was that I couldn’t understand how the sport was surviving without all these concussion issues that we seem to experience in the States with our helmet sports.”

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not a bad way to end your career... I'd put Money on a squad full of 30+ yrs - Ex NRL stars to win the super league comp..

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You think a bloke from the north coast with a young family, as aussie as they come, mad keen fisherman is going to want to head to New York to play in a lower tier comp? Y'dreaming.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ahhh what??? Lol.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You think a bloke from the north coast with a young family, as aussie as they come, mad keen fisherman is going to want to head to New York to play in a lower tier comp? Y'dreaming.
Money talks I think given his service we chip in to help the New York franchise

Banned
Reaction score
Foran, Toleman, anyone else they want?
They need a coach too?
CEO perhaps?
FFS, just offer them a package deal inc the entire Moore/Andersons tribes.

As for fishing, plenty of professional game fishing in the states and Canukistain!

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Depending on the contracts they get, this might be an amazing opportunity for some of these blokes, getting payed to play out their remaining years in an easier comp whilst getting to live in NY. It would be great on a 2-3 year contract.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Foran, Toleman, anyone else they want?
They need a coach too?
CEO perhaps?
FFS, just offer them a package deal inc the entire Moore/Andersons tribes.

As for fishing, plenty of professional game fishing in the states and Canukistain!
What have you ever done for our club apart from whinged?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
What have you ever done for our forum apart from troll?
Not much, it’s a forum, who cares? Keep bagging the club out mate. You’ll be the pathetic one running back when they have sorted out the mess they inherited

Banned
Reaction score
Not much, it’s a forum, who cares? Keep bagging the club out mate. You’ll be the pathetic one running back when they have sorted out the mess they inherited
Real supporters care, as this is our clubhouse, if you will.
I never left.
Not for the wooden spoon, not for the 37 point deduction, not for JT's efforts in Coff's, not for habib and his cousins wanting to punch on with all and sundry whilst wearing our jersey, not for the name change to Sydney Bulldogs, or the other name change before my time either!

Also, I thought you took a gentleman's undertaking to not reply to, nor seek reply from me!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a very ambitious article. Expecting to just enter the league in a third tier competition and promote in two years to the national competition might be possible. But the Toronto Wolfpack have been getting their act together for a number of years.

If the motivation for this is profit they might be in for an unhappy honeymoon period.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Real supporters care, as this is our clubhouse, if you will.
I never left.
Not for the wooden spoon, not for the 37 point deduction, not for JT's efforts in Coff's, not for habib and his cousins wanting to punch on with all and sundry whilst wearing our jersey, not for the name change to Sydney Bulldogs, or the other name change before my time either!

Also, I thought you took a gentleman's undertaking to not reply to, nor seek reply from me!
No I didn’t. You asked me to when you were being a sooky little bitch but I’ll reply to whoever I want when I want. This is a forum. If you can’t handle the heat get out of the kitchen.

So you’ve been through all that but are bagging everyone at our club out now?
I know you aren’t as smart as you think you are using big words but surely you can understand, after all you’ve been through as a supporter that they didn’t create this mess

Banned
Reaction score
Convenient thing to say with all evidence removed!
Also your response is very telling in how little respect you afford everyone else here.
This is a forum indeed, yet there has to be at least some level of respect for each other for it to exist!
Unfortunately trolls like you appear to fail to get that.

As for bagging out everyone in the club, you think the pic's below from inside it are from google?
Think anyone that was not accepted within those private areas would be afforded the chance to even take the pics?
Forming a part of a guard of honour on Olympic Park typical for those that bag all and sundry within the club?
What about being invited for a kick and a friendly on Belmore Oval upon more than one occasion?
Have you even played with an actual game ball?
Tried kicking it?
Walked around the old and the new changerooms, the gym (and was awestruck with what was on the walls surrounding it)?
Sat down and ate the same meals as the players after training?
Typical experiences for those that bag all and sundry within a club, hey!
Oh and for the record, no, none of that makes me more of a fan than the other true fans here, that have not had such privilege or luck.

db.jpeg dogs3.jpg dogs2.jpg

Oh and I openly admit I'm far from smart, indeed, I'm just an average fella, yet at least I can back my words with actions/proof and willing to front up in person!
Can the same be said about you?

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol at the NRL... Give it ten years and the The ESL will tower over the NRL as the premier competition, they are making all the right moves to grow the game in the right areas, whilst Greenberg and his mates trash the NRL in pursuit of their own agendas.

Let's continue targeting a rugby infected island with a population of 3 ½ people and a over franchised city that's growing slower than Raelene Castles wig, whilst the ESL gets the the most sports rich nation eating out of their hand in the hope of being able establish a mutually beneficial football franchise.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ricky Wilby to Uncle Nick...

"Hold my beer you hobo"